Hi

rscrane

I am currently working on a "whole house" renovation of a dollhouse from my wife's childhood. It has four rooms and an attic. We are Christmas enthusiasts, and live in an 18th century home, and so decided to make each room a holiday setting from four eras: colonial, Jeffersonian, Victorian and 1950's. We are still in the structural phase -- I am getting ready to start putting in the wiring. For that, my current challenge is learning how to "age" wood. I want to have switchable and/or dimmable circuits, and so am using a portion of the unfinished attic, behind a partition, for the hookups. So, I'm trying to figure out how to make the wood look old, but not necessarily weathered, as this is the inside.

Hi Richard, welcome to the group! :)

Aging wood that's indoors - well, I would stain it darker to begin with. Then, I'd lightly sand certain areas of "traffic" - stair treads (if stairs aren't carpeted), edges of doorways (where hands have rubbed the wood), stair banisters (hands again), entryways; that sort of thing. Not sure if I would stain the worn areas a lighter colour - or darker. I think where hands have touched the wood, it should be darker - because of the skin oils that penetrate the grain. Where boots and shoes have worn it, maybe it should be lighter.

If the wood is painted, I'd use the same idea, and sand off a light layer of the paint in places, maybe showing a different colour or two underneath - those being the previous owner's colours.

Maybe you could visit a heritage home or museum in your area to observe the wood! I see that you live in a lovely old home - that will be a wonderful research tool itself. :)

I'm no expert, but that's how I would go about it. I'd play around until it looked "right" to me! :yes:

Welcome to the forum family, Richard. Which house are you renovating?

For aging the interior, in addition to sanding and darker stain you might grate some black chalk pastel or drawing charcoal and rub a little into damp stain for high-traffic areas on your floors. Crackle glazes for painted surfaces like trim around doors and windows would be quite effective. For all out shabby wear & tear you can sponge strong tea or coffee on the wallpaper to age it and take your fingernail to make tiny tears or rub small worn spots with your finger.

• 2 weeks later...