Brand Newbie from Ohio

Hi everyone,

My interest in dollhouses is brand new, inspired by the artwork of Kathy Osborn, an illustrator who staged and photographed some quiet, dark real-life moments in a dollhouse setting. It opened my eyes to what you can do with miniatures, you can really make it your own. So my partner and I bought an Orchid dollhouse kit. Right now we're a little intimidated by the technical aspect of it (ie are we supposed to paint the pieces first, or as we go step-by-step? Is spraypainting OK?) but I figure we'll take it step by step and see how it goes.

This seems like a very supportive and informative community, I can't wait til we actually get going!

hi and welcome :banana: after you have 5 post you can put up pics eveyone here love eye candy. If you have questions just ask and someone will have the answer you are looking for. Good luck with your first build :birthday:

Welcome Kat! The Orchid is such a cute house! You can paint before assembly or after. There are pros and cons of both. I'm sure others will be along shortly with great advice, and in the mean time, search through the forums for lots of threads with helpful tips.

Have fun!!!

Hi and :banana:!! The most important thing to remember is that it is your house and you can build it how you want. I have painted before and I've painted after. I think it somewhat depends on what you want to do and whether you know what you want to do. If I know I'm not going to stain any of the wood I usually at least seal/prime it first. But everyone does it their own way. Enjoy it!!

:birthday:

A big warm Greenleaf WELCOME to you, Kat, and to your partner, bless her/ him! We had a competition build of the Orchid kit between the Building Team and the Community you can read to get ideas, and there are probably more posts than either of you will care to try to count on how to go about building these kits.

All the instructions are being revised by our own Ben out of the goodness of his heart. You do NOT have to seal all the pieces, unless the threat of warping is a problem where you live (mini years ago we lived in Coshocton, and it was HUMID/ damp there); if you must, I used Deft clear sanding sealer. Denatured alcohol scares the willies out of me since I took my first college chem class almost 50 years ago. Also, PLEASE ignore any references to hot glue (check out my "Laurel rehab" album's first two pictures if y'all are tempted) and go buy a bottle of good carpenter's woodglue & a box of toothpicks to apply it with. Then kick back and prepare to have FUN!

Oh, I used aerosol paint on the exterior of my Cambridge (Dura-Craft) dh and you will want to do several light coats, the stuff can form drips that run.