Mixing scales of minis

Selkie

I've been searching and searching and searching for a few items for my Spring Fling contest entry. I'm frustrated not to be able to find 1:12 scale in some of the accessories I would like to use.

The main components I can either make or find and that is fine but some of the little detail items (the ones that really make it cute) are apparently not made in our scale - they are made all sorts of smaller scales probably for railroad and car and landscape hobby enthusiasts.

So, the question to all you experts is: how much or how bad would it look to mix some 1:18 scale items into the Spring Fling entry? Would it look really tacky or because it is so small itself, could I get away with it?

Thanks for your advice.

I have some questions about this as well. Some gal pals and I are doing a neighborhood bar room box. So, I to kinda get started on "making" most of the bottles, what not, I ordered 1:12 beer cans a twelve pack of bud, some liquor bottles, an ashtray, etc. It is quite apparent the bud box would not hold these cans, too wide to go in the "right" way. way different size bottles, huge ashtray, etc. I don't think it's a huge deal, as most will be in the cooler but I found it interesting. I know I am not helping with your question, but share your concerns. Looks like I will be mixing it up a bit though! annie

Really it depends on what the item and some times where it is. You can use a smaller vase and knick knacks because they come in all sizes in real life too. Some things you can't though. Like if a 1/12 person is going to hold a playscale ( barbie size) can it will just look way to big.

Also if you seperate the items like the beer can and the box it may not be so noticeable that they would not fit in the box where if they are right next to each other it may. Really it can be done it just takes some experimenting.

Good question. It's not uncommon to find differences within the same scale. I have a bench and two chairs auditioning for a place in Marie Laveau's Creole Cottage. All were sold as 1:12. When separated, they look fine, but together .... ugh, what a mismatch! I agree with the above statements that it's all in the eye of the beholder. Do remember that real life furnishings come in a variety of scales ... huge overstuffed chairs and couches and smaller, daintier versions, for example.

Trust your gut feeling. If you have doubts about how it looks, don't use it.

I agree with all the comments already made. I do mix petite princess items sometimes (3/4 scale) but in smaller rooms like the attic or perhaps a ladies small chair. I have found that things too big in furniture look more out of place than things a little too small. For accessories I think it matters less. For example, many old German kitchen room boxes have huge accessories and they look wonderful. It just depends ......

Thanks for all your advice but now I have a couple more questions.

What is 3/4 princess scale? I've never heard of that term.

Forgive me, but I am mathematically challenged. You can laugh, everyone else does.

If I use 1:18, how do I calculate the actual size - more specifically height, say of a table? With 1:12 it's so easy. 3 feet is 3 inches and so on.

So following my example - in 1:18, how many inches high would a 3 foot table be?

Thanks again.

I would never laugh at you...I'm somewhat mathematically challenged myself. But in answer to your question, the only way I could figure it out is that in 1:12 a 3 foot table would be 3 inches, in 1:24 it would be 1 1/2 inches. Halfway in between would be 2 1/4 inches (had to look at the ruler for that answer :) ).

I can't answer your question about 3/4 princess scale, since I haven't heard of it before either.

As for mixing scales, I think it depends on the piece and the setting. The workshop, for example. While it may be a 1:12 scale, it appears, at least to me, to be smaller. I have mixed and matched and adjusted. Basically, go by what your own eye tells you. If it doesn't go smoothly through your line of site, something may be amiss.

If I use 1:18, how do I calculate the actual size - more specifically height, say of a table? With 1:12 it's so easy. 3 feet is 3 inches and so on.

So following my example - in 1:18, how many inches high would a 3 foot table be?

The secret to converting is to think in inches, not feet. Think 36 inches for your 3-foot table.

Here's a simple calculation:

Divide 1 inch by 18 and multiply by 36 inches = 1.99 So in 1:18, a 3-foot table would be 2 inches high.

(If you can set your calculator to round to the nearest whole number, you won't have to deal with the .999s)

This works for any scale. Divide one by the scale number and multiply by the number of inches.

1 divided by 12 x 36 = 2.99 (3" in 1:12 scale)

1 divided by 24 x 36 = 1.499 (1.5" in 1:24 scale)

Hope this helps!

The princess items they were talking about is the Petite Princess line of furniture. It's very realistic, but a little too fancy for my taste, although I love the piano!

I think you can safely say that most of the dollhouses of yesteryear are all pretty much in 3/4 scale - most if not all of the metal dollhouses, Caroline's House, Ideal and Lundby, to name a few. But even our 1/12 scale houses aren't always in 1/12 scale. The old Walmer line now owned by Real Good Toys doesn't really have staircases in 1/12 scale and for that matter, I don't think Greenleaf staircases are exactly to scale either but they look good anyway.

I think with dollhouses you can't be too rigid with the 1 inch to 1 ft thing. I've heard that although most real houses have an 8ft ceiling, an 8" ceiling in a dollhouse looks cramped and that's why so many dollhouses have a 10 in height from floor to ceiling. It just depends on how your eye sees it and if you have an eye for balance - and this can be learned, believe me - you can mix and match just abnout any size and your own eyes will tell you if it looks off.

My Washington right now is by necessity almost a 3/4 in scale house because if I didn't scale the furniture down, I wouldn't be able to fit anything into it! So most of my furniture is going to be 3/4 in but I expect to be able to put 1 in accessories with the furniture and if I'm careful, it'll all look good together. Well, we'll see anyway. :)

Sometimes you can use 1/2" scale with 1" scale, but not the other way around. As for railroad, etc., most of them are way too tiny for use with 1" scale. You might get away with some of in in o scale things, but not much. I would not recommend this personally, but it's up to the person themselves!

I made all my furniture for my "vertically challenged" resident in the 'lil workshop...1:12 stuff was just too big and I don't have any 1:24 scale items (yet) :groucho: , but I agree with everyone else...if it looks right to you, go for it.

Wow - Thanks for all the great ideas and KathieB especially thanks for the mathematical methods. It's perfect for my math challenged brain.

Another example of why this forum is SO important and helpful to everyone.

Keep your fingers crossed I can find the time and energy to complete this Spring Fling with all the turmoil I am still in the midst of. (uh oh end of sentence preposition - oh well)

Many, many thanks !!! :groucho: :w00t:

I mix scales all the time. Some of the barbie food works fine in 1/12 houses. I have found G scale train stuff for my 1/24 houses (they are both 1/24) I just look at my real house for inspiration. There are things that are huge and things that are tiny. If I am not sure about how something looks, I just ask someone to give an opinion. I have a neighbor who does a beautiful job with her real house and she has made suggestions. And anything that doesn't work in a room makes for great attic junk.

Annie - As far as your bar - just look at the size of a 40oz beer. It is like a huge version of a regular beer bottle. I also have tiny bottles of wine (1/4 liter or something) so use all the varieties of bottles you want. I also have real life ashtrays that fit in the palm of your hand and my mother has some the size of a turtle bowl.

I too, would like to thank all for suggestion. I'm new...so I happy to get the feed back. We are doing a real life bar and would like to get as close as possible, but I know there will be variations. annie

• 13 years later...

I'm digging out this topic... I've realized my DIY kit roomboxes, while advertised as 1/24, were probably bigger than that. 1/18 or 1/16, maybe ? I know I've used some 1/12 accessories (cutlery, flower pot, a bucket) without "breaking scale". What I'd like to know, is if there are some finishing tips to be used on furniture to play with "scale feeling" ?

Sorry if it's not clear, what I mean is for example : would painting a 1/24 chair in lighter colors makes it look bigger ? Or using smaller/less shiny handles on 1/12 furniture to makes it look smaller ? I think some of the real life tips like using mirrors to makes rooms appear bigger works in mini, but I've never heard about what could be done on furniture itself. Maybe this could also help for items on the smaller or bigger end of the same scale. Any suggestions ?

Would painting a 1/24 chair in lighter colors makes it look bigger ? Or using smaller/less shiny handles on 1/12 furniture to makes it look smaller ?

I don't think so. When you look at minis you're seeing the whole piece of furniture and the whole room in a way you don't in real life. So a size discrepancy is always going to be obvious.

There are some pieces where the scale doesn't matter that much, like accessories and art (sculptures, vases, etc.) And if you make a point of putting smaller pieces together or bigger pieces together, you can sometimes get away with it. But a 1:24 chair is always going to look too small in a 1:12 house. (Unless you're using it as children's furniture!)

If there is only a slight difference in scale, careful placement can help. Smaller pieces go to the back, larger pieces forward. It is a forced perspective situation. I don't know how you would make an individual piece look smaller or bigger.

6 hours ago, KathieB said:

If there is only a slight difference in scale, careful placement can help. Smaller pieces go to the back, larger pieces forward. It is a forced perspective situation. I don't know how you would make an individual piece look smaller or bigger.

With great respect, actually, no. Those bigger pieces would better go to the back (preferably painted darker) for a forced perspective.  And you can shorten legs, shave off some clunky stuff, and whittle a bit to make things look a bit smaller ...

Unless you're using it as children's furniture!

Oh ! Now that you've said it it sounds obvious, but I never thought about it ! And it'd be easy to get a great, cute result by painting the furniture in bright, or pastel colors, and adding a couple "colored pencils accidents" to it...

And you can shorten legs, shave off some clunky stuff, and whittle a bit to make things look a bit smaller ...

I have a wonky dressing table ( six legs, none of which are the same length...) that I'm tempted to try this on. More experimenting needed !

Thanks everyone ! It's food for thoughts. I guess in the end, what matters is trial and errors to get something that "looks good" to the eye, without being 100% accurate...

36 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

It's all smoke & mirrors.  And KathieB is spot on about placement of pieces to force perspective.

Thanks for the confirmation, Holly. 

In natural perspective, items farther away LOOK smaller. In forced perspective, items farther away ARE smaller.