What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

Do you have a light table or light box to use with your leaded glass work? Maybe if you work over it ... <just thinking :hmm: >

What about putting a lamp on the floor under your frame?

10 hours ago, blueirishmoon said:

Thanks! Slow seems to be working better for me. Variety, smaller portions, and a few other things have helped too. Almost finished with my current stitching project, but I ran out of the color of embroidery thread I was using, so I have to get more. Decided to start something else, but it's hard to see the holes as the fabric is black. I've been holding it up as I stitch so the overhead light shines through the back, but that makes my arms tired.

I wonder if it would help if you placed a mirror under the fabric with a light above, maybe the light would reflect back up through the holes in the fabric?

All good suggestions, which I'll keep in mind for the future, as I've almost finished it. What seems to help a little is if I'm wearing a light colored shirt, I look down at the project, and the lighter color shows through the tiny holes. I think working with the silk gauze is less difficult, even though the stitches are smaller, because I have magnifiers which take care of that problem. Dinner tonight was Chinese takeout. I had orange chicken which is glazed with orange peels and chili peppers, white rice, and some egg drop soup. Mmm. Eating my dessert now, some very spicy ginger snaps.

I may have to revise what I said about silk gauze! Just started a project using 40 count, and it's a little more difficult than the 30 count. Just have to work more slowly, I guess. Dinner with the parents was delicious. My dad grilled some steak, and I had a baked potato and some corn with mine. No salad, because it was a treat night.

Well, guess I am either going to Hobby Lobby (if they are open) to buy porch rails or I am going to have to order online and delay putting on the Bellingham porch details until later.  I have been trying to use as much from my stash as possible and was so happy to find some railings.....but ended up 3" short!  ARGH!  Hate when that happens! :doh:

38 minutes ago, jbnmini said:

Well, guess I am either going to Hobby Lobby (if they are open) to buy porch rails or I am going to have to order online and delay putting on the Bellingham porch details until later.  I have been trying to use as much from my stash as possible and was so happy to find some railings.....but ended up 3" short!  ARGH!  Hate when that happens! :doh:

Me too! That's how we end up with a stash in the first place....buy too much or too little, in the stash it goes. Maybe you can  find something on eBay?

A very nice father's day was had with my family. My mom made roast beef for dinner, and my dad got to open cards and a gift afterwards. Making progress on my tiny silk gauze project. I also finished the larger scale one I started before this one, as I managed to get more thread to finish it. Currently I'm working on a vintage CJ originals kit, of a medieval unicorn firescreen. I hope to put it in one of my future tudor projects. I think I will continue to alternate between the two sizes of silk gauze projects, as I have quite a few in my backlog to clear out, and I don't want to have any mental exhaustion working on the same size over and over. Currently taking a break from working on any rugs, but I hope to get back into those too. I have plenty to keep me busy and avoid any exposure to summer heat and bugs!

Helped mom make dinner tonight. Italian stuffed shells and sooooo good! Enough leftovers for a repeat dinner on the weekend, too. Made some nice progress on the unicorn screen. I'm into filling in the background now, and the navy blue is making all the other colors really pop. A few more days of steady stitching should see it finished. Next project: a needlepoint picture of a mountain lake scene done on 40 count gauze. Then I think I'll switch back to the 30 count.

Camera is here and test driven. LOL. Will post photos later. Later is here and I'm having a little trouble. Can't seem to download the photo editing software that goes with it, and having a bit of a head scratch over how to connect camera to internet connection so I can transfer pictures to my pc. Will have to do more reading I guess to puzzle it out.

Edited by blueirishmoon
forgot something

Finished the unicorn screen tonight while watching a movie I remember seeing on tv as a child, the seventh voyage of Sinbad? That animation of the creatures and the hammy acting is so corny, but enjoyable nonetheless. On to the next project tomorrow, the mountain lake picture. Dinner with the parents beforehand, Dad is planning on grilling cheeseburgers.

4 hours ago, blueirishmoon said:

...That animation of the creatures and the hammy acting is so corny, but enjoyable nonetheless...

Ray Harryhausen was the best of the stop-motion animators and his work raised the bar that led to the CGI animation we see today; but some of it IS hard to watch...

This afternoon I thought that sitting out on the deck in my zero gravity chair might be good for my aching knee and swollen feet. Unfortunately when I opened the chair for the first time this year, I neglected to check that the mechanism was locked into open mode. I sat down, went to stretch out in the chair and it started closing up with me inside. The back of the chair was next to the steps that led to the upper part of the deck, so I wound up laying there, folded up, my head and shoulders leaning against the steps and my knees up in the air. I knew if I called for help it would take DH forever to respond, so I had to extricate myself by myself. Fortunately, I have strong stomach muscles, even though I haven't done a situp in a decade or two, and was able to get up and out. Just as well, he'd have just laughed at me for a while before he tried to help me out.

44 minutes ago, grazhina said:

I wound up laying there, folded up, my head and shoulders leaning against the steps and my knees up in the air.

Yikes! Good on you for extricating yourself!

17 hours ago, blueirishmoon said:

Finished the unicorn screen tonight while watching a movie I remember seeing on tv as a child, the seventh voyage of Sinbad? That animation of the creatures and the hammy acting is so corny, but enjoyable nonetheless. On to the next project tomorrow, the mountain lake picture. Dinner with the parents beforehand, Dad is planning on grilling cheeseburgers.

I loved those movies as a child too! I tried to get my kids to watch one and they were bored.

My mom was planning on watching with me, but she had forgotten she promised to have dinner with my aunt, so I watched it alone. Reception was sketchy tonight with the few thunderstorms that were passing through, so my star trek reruns were interrupted. Still, made a good start on the new project despite that.

We took The Kid back to Tallahassee yesterday after his month-long visit, stopping on the way home in Bonifay, FL, for lunch at Pho Noodle and Kaboodle, a most excellent Vietnamese restaurant we had eaten at once before, back when we were winding down our house hunt between Pensacola and Mobile. We had banh mis with small bowls of won ton soup, and I have never tasted a more delicious won ton.  The restaurant is much changed in appearance from last time; the owners rented out half their building to an oyster house.  One of the nice things about the FL Panhandle is that none of the towns are much more than an hour's drive from the Gulf of Mexico.