What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

My dollhouserie got recently interrupted by real life: 

I don't work on Mondays and Tuesdays and was looking forward to a couple of days working on my two house projects.....but around 10am on Monday hubby came home early from work and declared: "Let's prep the dining room for painting!"  I'm stunned. "Like...NOW?"   Hubby generally takes FOREVER to make a big decision when it comes to home renovations.  It's a "I'll believe it when I see it." kind of situation with him.  SO.....when he said NOW, I quickly put away my mini paint brushes for RL ones!  I painted a dining room and a small sitting room.  And now we are just waiting for the new sitting room furniture to arrive (yes! he actually agreed to buying new furniture!) before we put everything back in order.

Oh- and my girls decided that we need to have another yard sale, so we are all cleaning out our own closets, plus we went through some of my Mother's stuff that we put into storage.  Feels good to have some of that gone.  It promises to be a hot day this Saturday.  Yippee.

Still making progress on the swan pillow. I've almost finished the white stitches, and I've passed the halfway mark. Dinner was an easy honey ham and swiss cheese coldcut sandwich on a bakery roll. Tonight we'll have leftover Italian sausage and spaghetti, garlic bread and salad. Not sure what my weekend plans are except for doing more stitching.

I am finally feeling free to get back into house building. When my wife broke her arm in late May, I became a full-time care-giver and housekeeper, chauffeur, medical assistant, and physical therapist assistant's assistant. She had 4 visits to the ER, a ride in an ambulance, two surgeries, a week in the hospital, several weeks on a wound vac, even longer on a PICC line with 3x daily IV infusions, and 2x daily PT exercises. She had a 12-inch steel plate inserted with 14 screws to hold it all together. She now is free of the wound vac, PICC line, stitches, IVs and down to only 2 oral antibiotics and the continuing PT with 2 appointments a week and 2 sessions a day at home. 

Now I am no longer needed to be on call 24/7. It is great progress. I think the first thing I will tackle is staining and varnishing a whole lot of interior trim for windows, doors and baseboards. After being out of the groove for so long it will take me a while to get up my momentum again. I know i made a list once upon a time of what needs to be done and in what order. And i had just moved and reorganized my "workshop" just before the accident, so I hope I can find everything!

6 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Owee, Lee!  Seeing all that makes me wonder if it was a compound fracture (retired RN, I can't help myself!) with all sorts of complications.

It was a displaced spiral fracture that extended from just above the elbow all the way up into the head of the humerus inside the socket. There was a loose piece in the middle that wasn't attached to the upper or lower parts. And of course it was her right arm and she is right handed. Because of the covid situation, it took 12 days before she could have surgery to put it back together. The infection started the day after she had 41 staples removed. That night we spent our 47th anniversary in the ER.

Lee, so sorry about your wife having such an extensive break with complications.  Glad that healing is taking place and that she has had you to help in her recovery.  It has been a little over a year ago that I tripped on just a step up curb in airport parking lot and landed on cement floor suffering a displaced fracture of my right humerous.  Fortunately, I am left handed and did not require any surgery.  The doctors informed me at the very beginning that due to my age the recovery would be slow.  Even after PT I never regained full range of motion, but fortunately regained strength with just minor discomfort from time to time.  Reading about your wife's experience makes mine seem so trivial.  Best wishes for your wife's continued recovery.  

I second the best wishes for recovery! I found I made an error in the swan pillow stitching, using the wrong color throughout for one of the symbols. Since 40 count is the very devil to try to unpick the mistakes, I decided instead to stitch over the wrong stitches with the proper color, making a slightly bulkier raised surface. Luckily, I think I still have enough of the wrongful color to use for it's correct symbol stitches. Sigh. On the other hand, I'm past the halfway mark now. Just received some pillows I ordered from brae yesterday for my mod inspired project. They're perfect, thanks! I can't wait to start building and displaying, but I'm still bringing all the pieces together. Dinner last night was some very tender roast beef, and tonight we're having turkey chili with strawberry rhubarb pie for dessert.

Down to three colors left for the swan pillow. A light green, a medium green, and a dark blue. Every other color has been stitched, go me! Dinner was a matter of luck. Dad managed to escape a heavy rain to barbecue some spareribs. Yummy. Not sure what tomorrow's menu will be. Put in an order for the fabric I was thinking of making a new lap quilt out of. Very punchy, happy colors, and graphic prints. Think I'll do the moody one later in August to be used in the fall.

Ouch! I have a recurring back problem, but it goes away and gets better usually after about a week. Feel better! I finished the swan pillow, yay! Started another, this one of a blue and white ginger jar that will go in the blue and cream build I'm planning. Should be an easier design as it has half the colors of the swan pillow. Same count though. Working small but full steam ahead. Dinner was some nice oven fried chicken. Not sure what I'll have tomorrow.

Made lots of progress last night while watching the Yankees trounce the Bosox. I think I finished with at least three maybe two shades of the stitches I was making on the new pillow. Dinner was some nice chinese takeout, I had orange chicken with rice. If I keep up this pace, I'll be able to start a new project before week's end. Waiting on an hbs order in honor of my birthday; I wanted to take advantage of that 20% off coupon I used.

Finished all but the background for this pillow, so I expect to keep working at a good pace since I won't have to count as much. Dinner was bbqed steak, baked potato, corn on the cob, and some fresh baked chocolate chip cookies I made before dinner. Dad was lucky and took advantage of a lull between afternoon storms and grilled up a flank steak.

Two-thirds of the background done. Another night should see me finish this pillow. Than I think I will work on a piece for a future Tudor build: a little firescreen with musical instruments on a green background. Should be easier as I'll be working in 32 count instead of 40. I'm having more fun than is legal, lol. I got the fabric I ordered for the lap quilt I plan to make today. Loving the punchy colors. The seller was absolutely accurate with their pictures of the pieces. Here is a look at the one that inspired the whole idea: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BonEful-Fabric-FQ-Cotton-Quilt-Cream-Off-White-Red-Pink-Green-Yellow-Flower-Leaf/400544952381?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 Got it on sale besides!

Like Sarah- my hubby decided that having his back out would be a good way to slow him down.  Well, that was 2 weeks ago and he only took a couple of days off and now the muscles on his other side are starting to seize up.  :crazyeyes:  AND his level of grumpiness is ratcheting up. Can't blame him, it IS annoying, but sheesh!  Maybe I will tell him about Lee's wife to give him some perspective.....

On another note, I just had my first day as a PT cashier at my work.  Because hubby is self-employed and relies on my health insurance, I asked for additional work to make up for the hours I was cut back in the office,  This way I can get back up to FT status and back on insurance.  I don't think I'll mind the job itself, just the long time standing.  I have several back issues as well and hope to have a Dr's statement that I can use a stool when needed.  Feeling pretty achy and stiff at the office today.

My at risk elderly parents refused to listen when I told them the safest way to avoid covid is to stay home. Did they listen? No. They were eating in restaurants as soon as they opened. They were sneaking out to shop even though I was food shopping for them every week.   An because i help with doc appts etc. When she did a prescreen test for a medical procedure and turned up positive, I got swept up in the quarantine too!  She asked for a second test that came back negative. But dept of health won't drop the positive status. She gets done with quarantine a week before me and 3 weeks before my dad (AND  that is a long story). I asked her to do an antibody test then. If its negative im asking dept of health to drop the quarantine. I think if they really had it they would be hostipalized because of all the underlying conditions they have. I'm only perturbed because they are okay. If they were sick I wouldn't be complaining, I'd be worried!

Edited by Medieval