Jump to content
heidiiiii

What are you up to today? This week?

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

stopping on the way home in Bonifay, FL, for lunch

You are braver than I. Even the thought of carry-out makes me nervous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Governor DeSantis has apparently decided not to ignore facts;  everyone wore masks and sanitizing was going on like crazy.  Even with tables spread apart they were still seating at every other one, so there was close to twelve feet between occupied tables.  Our governor has also ordered masks to be worn at all times outside of one's own home.  Even the thrift stores have tape markers 6 feet apart at their check outs and plexi shields at each register.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been going full steam ahead on the mountain picture. Am now about half done. A few more days of stitching should see it finished. What should I do next? Must sort through the stash to find my next idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ran across a big roll of a lovely sock yarn, gray with bits of blue, gold, rust and darker gray and I'm three inches from shaping the toe of the second sock.  I also have an afghan from thick yarn on big needles sitting in my UFP pile, along with the sampler I need to finish stitching the border and getting framed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been working overtime (which paid for an unexpected vet bill. My Samantha has inflammatory bowel disease) and harvesting the garden...blackberries, tomatoes and beans did great this year but I am ready for canning, freezing and jam making to end. I made a run to Sam's club yesterday for sugar and other things and noticed they had unblocked the cash register area from the store area. Previously it was boxed off all the way across the building. No more waiting in line to be sent to a register walk up as normal 6ft back of course. Still masks, sanitizing and no seats at the snack area which closes early. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We ran errands today to collect a postage due piece of DH's mail and grocery shop with a trip to the appliance store to see if our dead microwave can be fixed or has to be replaced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2020 at 2:21 PM, grazhina said:

This afternoon I thought that sitting out on the deck in my zero gravity chair might be good for my aching knee and swollen feet. Unfortunately when I opened the chair for the first time this year, I neglected to check that the mechanism was locked into open mode. I sat down, went to stretch out in the chair and it started closing up with me inside. The back of the chair was next to the steps that led to the upper part of the deck, so I wound up laying there, folded up, my head and shoulders leaning against the steps and my knees up in the air. I knew if I called for help it would take DH forever to respond, so I had to extricate myself by myself. Fortunately, I have strong stomach muscles, even though I haven't done a situp in a decade or two, and was able to get up and out. Just as well, he'd have just laughed at me for a while before he tried to help me out.

I am very glad your misadventure ended on a good note! You're an excellent storyteller...I was laughing along with you. I too have an aching knee and swollen ankles so if you recommend a gravity chair for that I will look into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been in Letchworth state park "camping" in a cabin since Sunday. Looking forward to working on the pierce again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have settled on the new project for when the current one is done. Think I'll do another vintage kit to go with the unicorn screen, this time of a pair of "cluny" animal pillows. On the plus side, I actually have two of those kits, so I can use the other for spare silk gauze for another future project. Think I'll go with easy for dinner tonight, turkey tv dinner sounds good to me. Enjoying my evenings stitching very much. Just have to figure out how to get more photos of my projects from the new camera. I really can't wait to share them with you all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hubs split me a lovely acorn squash that I have baked and will stuff with shrimp & breadcrumbs and bake for dinner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been doing Czech recipes during the quarantine. Dinner tonight will be wiener schnitzel, sauerkraut, and bread dumpling.  I've been baking most of my bread, white and whole wheat. Would love to make rye bread with caraway seeds but cannot find rye flour in less than 25# bags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kathie, have you tried Nuts.com?  I just looked at their site and they have organic rye flour for $3.99 lb.  Hope this helps.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I got roont when we lived in OH, as we were in the heart of Amish country and I used to make lovely rye bread with the local flour we could get; and the most wonderful cheeses!

Our storm this afternoon knocked out a transformer as I was starting dinner, so we went out for Indian food and when we got home the power was back on, so stuffed acorn squash tomorrow.

Edited by havanaholly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all - just looking back over the last few pages of this convo.  Anyone heard from Kelly lately??  I'd love to know how she's getting on - especially with Covid at everyone's doors.  Of course with Covid around she might be staying away from the local library etc so may not have had much of an opportunity to get online.  It would be good to know if she's all good.

Meanwhile here in NZ we're doing okay.  My daughter (turned 20 last month) has been battling anxiety however she's coming out the other end now.  Certainly makes you realise how little we parents know how to parent - especially at this age!  My son (just turned 18 a month ago) has just this week been accepted into Media Design School and starts on Monday.  Given that we've always homeschooled it'll be completely out of his comfort zone - the whole getting up early, catching a ferry into the city and walking through the city in rush hour before even getting to the school will be a challenge! :D  He is exceptionally excited and daunted all at the same time.  I know he's happy to be moving forward after watching so many of his friends start uni this year.  Other than that we've been working and crafting as usual.  Been working on an entry for the Creatin Contest this year!  Most of what I've done has been a first for me so stretching my knowledge and abilities!  Loving the challenge.  Anyhoo....hope everyone is well!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I got roont when we lived in OH, as we were in the heart of Amish country and I used to make lovely rye bread with the local flour we could get; and the most wonderful cheeses!

Our storm this afternoon knocked out a transformer as I was starting dinner, so we went out for Indian food and when we got home the power was back on, so stuffed acorn squash tomorrow.

Would you please share recipe for your stuffed acorn squash? It sounds so good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Easy peasy, Jess.  We split the squash in half and I scoop out all the seeds whilst preheating the oven to 450 degrees F.  I lightly salt the cut surfaces and sprinkle them with a bit of cinnamon and lay them cut side down in a 6" X 10" biscuit pan coated with either melted butter or olive oil (I use because both the hubs &  I have high cholesterol) and bake it for half an hour, then let it cool and prepare the filling, which for me is just shrimp, seasoning mix (diced onions, sweet peppers and celery; what Cajuns refer to as "the trinity") and bread crumbs and a hefty dash of Tony Cachere.  How much of each I have to sort of eyeball, because it depends on the size of the acorn squash, but I pack those halved just as full as they'll hold so I sometimes whisk and egg and mix that into the filling.  It's the way I fix eggplant pireaux, only if the eggplants are much bigger I add a few petit peas to the filling.  To stuff the squash I turn them cut side up and gently compress the halves and scoop filling into the halves more or less evenly whilst the oven preheats again, this time to 350 degrees F.  I sprinkle a few more breadcrumbs over the tops and pop the pan into the oven for a half hour, until the shrimps are done and the breadcrumbs and nice and crunchy,  Let them rest a few minutes if y'all can stand it (the smell will drive everyone nuts).  Serve with rice and a light salad and mange tout!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gayle said:

Kathie, have you tried Nuts.com?  I just looked at their site and they have organic rye flour for $3.99 lb.  Hope this helps.

Thanks, Gayle! Four pounds of rye flour heading my way. I can smell the bread baking already. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, KathieB said:

...I can smell the bread baking already. :) 

Your poor neighbors!  You'll drive them nuts. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Your poor neighbors!  You'll drive them nuts. :D

I share :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kathie, glad to be of assistance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Easy peasy, Jess.  We split the squash in half and I scoop out all the seeds whilst preheating the oven to 450 degrees F.  I lightly salt the cut surfaces and sprinkle them with a bit of cinnamon and lay them cut side down in a 6" X 10" biscuit pan coated with either melted butter or olive oil (I use because both the hubs &  I have high cholesterol) and bake it for half an hour, then let it cool and prepare the filling, which for me is just shrimp, seasoning mix (diced onions, sweet peppers and celery; what Cajuns refer to as "the trinity") and bread crumbs and a hefty dash of Tony Cachere.  How much of each I have to sort of eyeball, because it depends on the size of the acorn squash, but I pack those halved just as full as they'll hold so I sometimes whisk and egg and mix that into the filling.  It's the way I fix eggplant pireaux, only if the eggplants are much bigger I add a few petit peas to the filling.  To stuff the squash I turn them cut side up and gently compress the halves and scoop filling into the halves more or less evenly whilst the oven preheats again, this time to 350 degrees F.  I sprinkle a few more breadcrumbs over the tops and pop the pan into the oven for a half hour, until the shrimps are done and the breadcrumbs and nice and crunchy,  Let them rest a few minutes if y'all can stand it (the smell will drive everyone nuts).  Serve with rice and a light salad and mange tout!

That sounds divine! I'm gonna try it. Have tons of acorn squash growing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hope y'all had a pleasant 4th of July. I finally finished sewing cushions for the backs of my rockers, the ready made ones were too bulky and expensive. I used some vintage fabric from my stash. It's odd to think that fabric I bought new  is now vintage. I bought a remnant of this American flag fabric around 30 years ago, but never could think of the perfect use for it till now. BTW, I made the footstool out of my son's old bedroom curtains. 

IMG_3430.JPG

Edited by grazhina
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we lived in Havana, FL, I remember seeing someone's porch rockers' cushions were that exact same fabric!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished stitching the mountain lake picture this evening. One big push and yay it looks great! Took a nice picture of it too. Will start the Cluny pillows tomorrow; I think I'll do the rabbit first, then the deer. Dinner was leftover Italian sausage with spaghetti, garlic bread and salad tonight. Tomorrow my dad is planning on barbecuing some chicken breasts. We'll probably have corn on the cob, grilled veggies and some other side with it. I also plan to bake some banana bread. Staying busy at home, helping my parents with laundry and cooking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, grazhina said:

Hope y'all had a pleasant 4th of July. I finally finished sewing cushions for the backs of my rockers, the ready made ones were too bulky and expensive. I used some vintage fabric from my stash. It's odd to think that fabric I bought new  is now vintage. I bought a remnant of this American flag fabric around 30 years ago, but never could think of the perfect use for it till now. BTW, I made the footstool out of my son's old bedroom curtains. 

IMG_3430.JPG

Is that a dh or real house?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...