What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Jess, the hubs and I have all sorts of fun underlying health issues, so when we go out to eat/ shop we wear masks and socially distance.  Sunday was the hubs' birthday #79 and he wanted to go out for breakfast at our favorite beach bistro on Navarre Beach, and we decided today was a likelier time to get in and served than Sunday, so off we went.  We got there three minutes after they stopped serving breakfast, so we got sandwich plates instead, since they have wonderful food whatever time of day.  Because of the Covid restrictions and they are primarily a bar & grill, there is no inside seating, so we took our food to one of the picnic tables set up underneath the main deck and ate in the shade.  Afterwards we went over to the gulf beach and spent an hour walking on the sand and enjoying the sea breezes.  Groups were staying more than 6 feet apart and wearing masks or stepping to the far side of the boardwalk going & coming.

I hate wearing the mask when I go out, but I do it. I run hot, wearing it makes me feel like I'm being cooked to death by my hot breath. Not to mention it steams up my glasses, so that vision correction I rely on? Useless. Everything is a blur without my glasses, and I can only see things clearly if they are at the end of my nose or closer. Finished the ginger jar pillow tonight despite running out of the background color. Substituted some cotton floss to finish it, since I was using silk floss. The colors are close, but thank goodness it was only an edge and part of a row of stitches, or the difference would be more noticeable. Started the tudor firescreen. 32 count seems so big now that I've been working in 40 count. I also managed to score some 18 count canvas for rugs, yay, from ebay. Someone was cleaning out a roll of canvas, I can only assume, since the dimensions are kind of odd, 12" on the short end, and over 40" on the long end. Still, It should make up quite a few Janet Granger patterns that I have for future builds. Hoping to start the lap quilt this weekend or next week. I need to go get a roll of batting.

I know about the heat, Cynthia!  We use folded bandannas and rubber bands to make our masks.  We also wear glasses to see.  It helps to push the top edges of the masks against the face, under the lower part of the glasses; reduces the fogging mightily.

13 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Jess, the hubs and I have all sorts of fun underlying health issues, so when we go out to eat/ shop we wear masks and socially distance.  Sunday was the hubs' birthday #79 and he wanted to go out for breakfast at our favorite beach bistro on Navarre Beach, and we decided today was a likelier time to get in and served than Sunday, so off we went.  We got there three minutes after they stopped serving breakfast, so we got sandwich plates instead, since they have wonderful food whatever time of day.  Because of the Covid restrictions and they are primarily a bar & grill, there is no inside seating, so we took our food to one of the picnic tables set up underneath the main deck and ate in the shade.  Afterwards we went over to the gulf beach and spent an hour walking on the sand and enjoying the sea breezes.  Groups were staying more than 6 feet apart and wearing masks or stepping to the far side of the boardwalk going & coming.

Yes, but they are eating inside. Our part of NYS allows for that. Either way I just hope she doesn't really have it!

My DH bought me a face shield.  It came from Northern Hydraulics and is a welder's face shield, nice and heavy but it allows for cooling air to flow.  I'm covered from my forehead to past my chin, almost to my chest.  I have COPD and breathing through a mask is about the same as having a head cold and breathing through my mouth.  I can enter the grocery store or Walmart and not be told I have to leave.  I've worn it to the doctor's office and the hospital to get blood work done without any problems either.

• Like 1

The primary purpose of the mask is to protect the people around you from your germs.  It can help impede other people's germs from getting to you, but it really, really works best in a pandemic if EVERYBODY wears a mask.

I've been using a plastic face shield. When I wear a mask I find myself breathing heavily through my mouth, my mask gets soaked and I find it harder and harder to breathe and I get really stressed. . With the face shield I breathe normally, don't have to open my mouth the whole time I'm in the store, much more comfortable.

Luckily I've been able to limit my time out and about and having to wear the darn thing! Otherwise I'd be a lot more stressed. Finished with the first two colors on the tudor screen. Steaming away on the stitching. Didn't think I'd be able to work on it tonight because I sat down in front of the tv and 10 minutes later the power had gone out due to a brief but very close and violent storm. Power was restored relatively quickly though, about 30 minutes later, so I was able to do my nightly stitching. Dinner was some tasty meatloaf and macaroni and cheese and peas. Tomorrow we'll be having spinach lasagna.

More colors completed with the screen. I just have two left for the design body and one for the background. Can't wait to finish, I'd say I'm about half done with it. Trying to decide what to do next. Must go looking in the stash for ideas. August and I'm enjoying myself immensely. Part of it is avoiding the heat. I have some batting now and backing fabric, so during the day I can start my lap quilt.

Well I hope the results of all this stitching will soon appear in you "Needlework" album.  For anyone who's interested, the pork adobo turned out awfully delicious!  I cooked peppers and onions with it and served it over rice with a broccoli salad on the side.

Still haven't figured out how to transfer pictures from the new camera to the pc, Holly. Maybe my dad can help me figure it out. He's a former computer programmer so technology likes him better than me. Moved on to the background color of the screen. I did about a quarter's worth of stitching tonight. Decided on the next stitching project, which will be a slow one, it has a lot of color changes. I'm doing a copy of Renoir's vase of flowers, the blue and cream picture, and will probably finish it off like a tapestry. Dinner was some nice roast beef, baked potato, crunchy onions, and squash. Had some ginger snaps for dessert. Dinner tomorrow will hopefully be bbq chicken.

I finished my 1:1 knitting projects and I'm finishing up the border on a sampler I think I"ll turn into a pillow and then I want to stitch some more wee rugs.  Last night I baked some salmon fillets with lemon juice, cracked pepper and a sprinkle of Greek seasoning and made a rice pilau with them with chard and crispy onions, and polished off the key lime pie.  Today the hubs & I will have been married 57 years.

Congrats, Holly! I'm now a quarter done on the background of the screen. Can't wait to move on to something new. Discovered I need a little more fabric for the lap quilt, so I ordered another FQ of the inspiration print. I also need to sew up a mini coverlet for the mod project I'm working on. My hbs order came today, I still have a few things backordered, but hopefully I'll get them soon.

Passed the halfway mark, closing in on three quarters done with the background. Came up with a new design I've had kicking around in the back of the brain for a while. I found some lovely scrapbook paper at Micheals a few months ago that was the inspiration. Also was able to refine an older design I wasn't as happy with when I saw some new paper from itsy bitsy. So much fun! Dinner was leftover spinach lasagna. Not sure what tomorrow's will be.

I'm finishing up a sampler I designed after seeing a sign at a craft fair:  Be the kind of woman who, when your feet hit floor each morning, the Devil says, "Oh, crap, she's up!"  Joel's day bed and pedestal are anything but junk, BTW, and the way he has finished the wood it feels almost as soft as the lambskin upholstery!  He has also added book "boards" to his book covers and they sure do look & feel like their 1:1 counterparts.  I received a couple of mini furniture items from Wish.com and Joel's handiwork put those things to shame!

Edited by havanaholly