What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

58 minutes ago, grazhina said:

Humidity does nice things to my hair, gives me a lovely wave. 

Humidity just makes my hair go limp. I bought a curling iron on Amazon last week. I figure if I can't get my hair cut, maybe some curls or waves will help me avoid the wild mountain woman look! 

37 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Humidity just makes my hair go limp. I bought a curling iron on Amazon last week. I figure if I can't get my hair cut, maybe some curls or waves will help me avoid the wild mountain woman look! 

I got one of the last haircuts in town before the great shutdown. It just happened that I decided to experiment a little and told my sylist to cut my top layers shorter to see if they'd fluff up, and so I got a somewhat shorter cut than usual. I lived for years in a town where I couldn't get a decent haircut, so in desperation I had to learn how to cut my own hair. I got sick of doing it, though. My stylist thinks I do a great cutting job. The hair on my crown is dry and straight, while the stuff underneath above my neck grows thick and wavy. Last night I cut that underneath hair and thinned it out, so now the rest of my hair doesn't bunch up and stick out all over. I've got to trim the sides and around my face next. I usually cut my hair over several days, as it likes to suddenly stick out somewhere it shouldn't be.

Using the curling rod should help your look. When my hair decides to just go limp and goofy looking, I turn to the curling iron.

5 hours ago, grazhina said:

I lived for years in a town where I couldn't get a decent haircut, so in desperation I had to learn how to cut my own hair.

I envy you being able to cut your own hair. When I was in college, eons ago, I cut my own hair once. One of my buddies thought it made me look like a penguin as it was so short and sleek, like a close fitting cap. So guess what my nickname was until it grew out again. :D 

Woohoo! Got my online mini show package today. I can't wait to stitch up my new projects and work on the other two kits. And seeing as how I have time on my hands... Dinner was a hit tonight, spaghetti hit the spot. I always add plenty of green herbs to basic tomato sauce: oregano, parsley, sage, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf. I also add a little nutmeg and crushed red pepper to zip it up. Mom was thrilled, as she had a nice lazy day, because I was making dinner; she was reading out on the porch, as it had cooled off a little. Tomorrow I have errands to run and the dentist is going to fix a small filling in my tooth.

I can't wait to see your finished stitchery!  I need to finish up some 1:1 projects and get back to stitching; also, get back to the Lily; currently working on the front doors.

Yesterday and today's high was only 60, and rain is on it's way. My knee started loud popping again, and I want dessert. All I have are cookies - not good enough. All the stores are closed. There's an apple pie in the freezer, but if I bake it, I know I'll eat half of it tonight and I shouldn't. ............ I'm considering preheating the oven.

• Like 1

I made banana bread on Friday. It's gone now. Always a big hit here, I think because I make it with butter and ginger. It's so moist, it's more like a cake. Prefer apple crisp to pie. Love that oatmeal streusel topping...been craving raspberries lately. Can't wait till they get ripe! No problems at the dentist. Had BBQ chicken tonight, tomorrow, leftover spaghetti sauce.

Edited by blueirishmoon
forgot something

We had a ham steak done on the grill last nite and candied sweet potatoes - - YUM!

I spent some time babysitting my 7 month old grandson yesterday.  Such a sweetie, but this Gigi sure gets a Fibromyalgia flare-up afterwards! 

On the dollhouse front- I finally got my supply of wallpaper paste delivered today, so I can get to work on the walls of the pink Bellingham Farmhouse! Yay!  I also finally got my shipment of matboard so now I can tackle the floors in the Newport!  I've never done the glueing-flooring-to-matboard thing before, so hopefully I don't screw this up.  I've got plenty to keep me busy this weekend!

I've finally rounded up all my ammunition to fight off the deer and chipmunks. Yesterday I went out to the shed and found that a deer has been nibbling the leaves of the small rhododendron!  Years ago my mom gave me one of her big showy hostas. Last year this time half of it was missing. A deer had consumed it in the night before I had a chance to spray the plants with pepper wax. This spring I've been spraying the hostas every few days since they're growing fast. I bought peppermint spray for my front door steps, because the chipmunks keep running in there. DH always talked about replacing the wooden steps with bricks, but never did it. This evening I went out and sprinkled a mixture of spicy Saigon cinnamon and cayenne pepper in the garden, and this afternoon I bought more peppermint plants. I stopped at the dollar store and got bigger plastic pots to plant them in. I'm going to insert them pot and all into the ground to try and keep them from spreading out and taking over. I also found metal pot hanging stakes. I got out some nylon fishing reel and jingle bells, and I'm going to try to string up a mess of reel and bells around mama's hosta in case the deer decides it likes spicy food afterall.:construction::horse:

• Like 1

Sounds like you have quite the battle raging!  Good luck!  I've got my hosta surrounded by cayenne pepper this year.  Last year I forgot and one day I was out on our deck looking over our back yard and realized that there was nothing left of my hosta but stalks! :mad:

17 minutes ago, jbnmini said:

Sounds like you have quite the battle raging!  Good luck!  I've got my hosta surrounded by cayenne pepper this year.  Last year I forgot and one day I was out on our deck looking over our back yard and realized that there was nothing left of my hosta but stalks! :mad:

Jackie, the best stuff I've used against deer is Bonide's Hot Pepper Wax Animal repellent. It was first sold to repell aphids, etc., but when I tried it on stuff the deer were eating I found it worked, as apparently a lot of other people did too. Bonide renamed the stuff as animal repellent. Because it's a wax, it won't wash off in the rain, but you have to reapply it every week or so for fast growing plants.  I had sprayed my phlox, but then forgot to reapply one week, and the darn deer came and nibbled off all the new growth on top. I had none of the flowers till late August. Bonide came out with a chipmunk repellent this year, but they can't sell it or ship it to Maine. DRAT!

My neighbors warned me if I tried to have a garden the deer would eat it all; in Havana my garden attempts fell prey to the rabbits.  I figured OK, at least I'll have my compost heap; no such luck there, the deer ate my compost contributions as fast as I put them out!  And when my jalapeno bushes got too big for their pots and I moved them outside the deer ate them, peppers and all.

Last year , in early fall, a chipmunk started visiting our BBQ grill on the small upper deck by the back door. It would often perch on the corner of the deck by the grill. When I checked the grill  there were a few bits of seeds inside the lower cabinet next to the propane tank. This spring the chipmunk was back in his spot on the deck by the grill. We'd left the old grill out all winter since it needed to be replaced anyway. After DH and our son carried away the grill, just leaving the propane tank on the deck, the chipmunk came back. It stood in its corner, then scuttled the 4 feet to the other corner, then scuttled back to its regular corner, then over to the propane tank in the other corner - wha? wha? where's my grill? where did it go? It  came back once, after the new grill was on the deck, but it had a different design, and the chipmunk hasn't returned.

Now, in the front of the house, I'd drenched the wooden steps with peppermint spray. Yesterday I was on the front porch potting more peppermint plants, and a chipmunk made a mad dash onto the other side of the porch, away from the front steps. I made a noise, so it hid behind my bin of potting mix till I chased it away. I was on the porch this morning, prepping a few more plants, and the chipmunk made another mad dash onto the porch. It's hiding place under the steps is "stinky" and it's trying to find another spot on the porch. Well, there isn't any you little rodent! Like the little pests don't have enough places to scurry into around here.  I've noticed the chipmunk hole next to my crabapple tree is sinking deeper and deeper into the ground. Maybe I'll stick a peppermint plant in there, it's deep enough to accomodate the plastic pot now. :gun2:

I just remembered, I used to spray my hostas with ammonia mixed with water to deter slugs. I just looked and saw they say chipmunks don't like the smell of ammonia either. Hostas on the other hand, love ammonia. :gun_guns:

Still happily playing with expanding on that hbs catalog cover design. I remembered that Pamela Warner's embroidery book with art nouveau designs also have a few more modern designs which will mix well with the other design elements I'm contemplating. Gone with a "summer of stitching" theme this year. I'm working in small scale right now, using 30 and 40 count silk gauze as my stitching foundation. I have these crazy magnifiers I wear over my glasses that have lights mounted in the frame, making that gauze look normal sized. I've been sitting in front of my tv in the evenings, watching old star trek reruns and happily stitching away. Tomorrow I'll help my mom cook dinner.

I just finished reassembling 15 yard signs that I repurposed by spray painting with large arrows. Two mothers in our community insisted their graduates need some special recognition with a vehicle parade. It's happening tomorrow from 3-3:30. None of the other HOA board members got too excited about it, but I thought it is worth a shot. I made up a parade route through the subdivision. There is no place to stage a lot of vehicles, so I invented a rolling parade. The participants are to leave their driveway in the direction of their part of the route. If they follow the arrows, they will circuit the whole development and end up back at home. If they don't follow the arrows, they will either get into an endless loop and never get home or jam our narrow roads to the point of gridlock. Can't wait to see how this turns out! :D 

I'll be at one of the trickier intersections playing traffic warden. Think I'll pull my mask up high and hope nobody recognizes me!

Had another checkup at the doctor today. More good news for me! Yay! I lost another 4 lbs. Blood pressure hasn't gotten high like it does later in the summer, 120/60. As I get older, my numbers just keep getting lower. Was working on my current mini stitching while I waited for the doctor. When she came in she complimented my work and said I have real talent. She knew about my stained glass, but hadn't seen my stitching before. Still doing research on new cameras. Have to get one soon, as I have new photos to take to show you all. Had some tasty chili for dinner, leftover Italian sausage and spaghetti tomorrow.

• Like 1

Thanks! Slow seems to be working better for me. Variety, smaller portions, and a few other things have helped too. Almost finished with my current stitching project, but I ran out of the color of embroidery thread I was using, so I have to get more. Decided to start something else, but it's hard to see the holes as the fabric is black. I've been holding it up as I stitch so the overhead light shines through the back, but that makes my arms tired.

4 hours ago, blueirishmoon said:

I've been holding it up as I stitch so the overhead light shines through the back, but that makes my arms tired.

Do you have a light table or light box to use with your leaded glass work? Maybe if you work over it ... <just thinking :hmm: >

Edited by KathieB