What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Got my summer HBS catalog today. Loving the mod mini mood of the scene on the cover! Thinking of copying it with a few twists to make it my own. One of which is I'm hoping to make a Chihuly style light fixture. I know someone else did one; I hope they can chime in and tell me how.

Oh good! I was beginning to wonder if mine had gotten lost since I got the email about it coming weeks ago. Perhaps there is hope for mine arriving yet. Good luck with your light fixture! 

For the past few days I have been moving my workshop from our breakfast nook to the spare bedroom that doubles as my library/study. I had been monopolizing half of the dining room table while constructing the main structure of my Quirky Cottage and at the same time claiming squatters rights to the breakfast nook for all the cutting, sanding, finishing, and assembly of smaller pieces and modules.

My DW had been remarkably patient and tolerant of my commandeering those spaces for so long. (Truth be told, she had periodically practiced similar behavior while cutting out and sewing clothes, quilts, and recently, over 425 face masks.) But recently the hints about how nice it would be to sit by the window in the breakfast nook while we eat have become more frequent.

So the time has come to make the move. Of course that required a total rearrangement of the room, including sorting and thinning my book collection, finding and adding more storage/organizational pieces of “furniture,” repurposing the twin bed by topping it with plywood, and making countless trips up and down the stairs, carrying the tools, materials and miscellaneous stuff.

Now I am finally to the place where I can finish by stashing all my treasures in their newly allotted spaces in the new quarters.

And it’s a good thing, too! Albert and Violet, the grandparents of the family that inhabits my Third First dollhouse, (which was their original home,) are getting antsy and eager to move into their own new place. Since the houses are to be right next door to one another, their grandson, Andy will have a room at their place, since there is only a room for the girls at his parents’ house and he’ll be able to help the grands in their advanced years. He is tired of sleeping on the couch.

OK – enough resting  and back to the moving. . .

• Like 3

Lee -- I am also moving miniatures around today.  My son-in-law recently started his new job and on Friday they moved into their own house (which is only about 20 minute drive from our house).  Today they came back over to help me move heavy stuff back into my "dollhouse" room.  About last August I had moved everything dollhouse related out of that room to make a bedroom for my two grandsons.  We won't need it as a guest room any longer as I now intend to send any overnight guests over to my daughters much bigger house.

I still have lots of little stuff to bring up from the basement before I can start working on projects again.  I must admit working in the basement these last few months was better than I expected as we do have good lighting down there and there weren't too many spiders.

2 hours ago, thriftymini said:

I must admit working in the basement these last few months was better than I expected as we do have good lighting down there and there weren't too many spiders.

:unsure:

I find spiders and snakes quite useful in yards and out buildings.  We used to get golden silk orb weavers where we lived in Havana, FL.

image.jpeg

Edited by havanaholly

Well, Albert and Violet may have to wait a bit longer. My DW broke her arm yesterday and I will have to put house-building aside in favor of house-keeping for awhile.

9 hours ago, LeeB said:

Well, Albert and Violet may have to wait a bit longer. My DW broke her arm yesterday and I will have to put house-building aside in favor of house-keeping for awhile.

Owee!  BTDT, hope the cast doesn't bother her too much!

I love rainy weather, but it's completely killing any chance of tv reception in my rural area. So instead of stitching by the tv, I've been planning new projects, reading old issues of miniature collector (gosh, I wish I had more issues!) and just generally firing up the inspiration center in the brain. Windowshopping supplies online, too. Oh, and whittling away at a stack of newspaper puzzles in the afternoon. Anyone have old issues of Miniature Collector they'd be willing to part with?

Did a little shopping at the online mini show this past weekend. Most tempted by this seller who was cleaning out her stash of all sorts of mini kits. I got a plant kit, 2 stitching kits and some silk gauze for another project, and a little furniture kit. Unfortunately, someone bought 2 of the other kits I wanted, especially this one for a mission style magazine rack. Can't wait to get my package! I guess I'll try to copy the magazine rack myself. I've got tools...I can do it!

mag rack.jpg

Mainly just using the graph paper to work out the best sizing for the piece. I have some old oval stencils I used to use in a drafting class of different degree increments, so I've been playing with those to try to get the curve on the dividers correct.

A few days ago it suddenly warmed up here in coastal Maine, going from highs in the 50's and low 60's up into the 70's and even 80's in towns further inland. My knee quit aching and making clicking and popping noises too. Interestingly, the old swivel chair in my workroom suddenly quit screetching. For months, every time I swivelled around to use my scroll saw the chair would make a loud screetch, even after I sprayed the works with WD40 several times. Now when I swing around it just moves smoothly and quietly. Isn't that nice? I guess Chairy likes the change in the weather too.