What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I know losing your grandma is so very hard,on top of all the illness y'all have had.But,I'm betting the sweet memory of her spirit will keep you strong!Sending positive thoughts and prayers for you and yours-Kat

Kathie & Jeremy,

My thoughts and prayers are with you both. Thank you so very much for sharing and enabling all of us to be here in support from afar. My heart goes out to both of you and everyone affected by all of this challenge. I am so sorry.

Morgan

Thanks Holly, Gloria, Kat, April & Morgan.

The kids are finally well (or close to it) and my wife and I returned to work today. I had to get past the occ. health gauntlet after they arrived this morning, but they didn't send me home this time.

From what my sister tells me (she did make it to the funeral) my dad and his two brothers are a mess. They are definitely taking it very hard. I think they all understand that while their childhoods were a far cry from what they should have been, she did the best she could with what she had and worked hard to make it up to them after they were grown and on their own. She was in many ways the favorite grandma to me and my siblings. I wish my kids had the chance to get to know her, but it wasn't meant to be. I do find some solace in knowing she didn't have to suffer very long. From what I have read, stomach cancer can be a very difficult way to go.

Jeremy, glad your family is getting health again.

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. Life is getting closer to normal (although I'm not quite sure what normal is any more!). When unpacking yesterday, I found the missing door to the pottery shop. Apparently somebody from the (unnamed) company hired to removed the furniture and mitigate the water damage knocked it off and then flipped it into a nearby open box instead of leaving it with the building. I can't begin to list the stupid packing mistakes they made. There is damage to the furniture, the contents of drawers were dumped into boxes. Somehow the vacuum cleaner didn't make it back home and neither did one painting. Worst of all, Lloyd's large ceramic mask was smashed; the idiot packer forced it into a box that was too small. I cried when I opened the box. The woman in charge of packing is coming over on Monday. I hope she's bringing a very large checkbook with her.

Meanwhile, about 2 gallons of dirty water dripped out of the dining room ceiling between Monday and yesterday. I know it was two gallons because I measured it in a bucket. The drip stopped yesterday and the sheet rock is drying out, leaving stains. Thank goodness the painters left the leftover paint, so we can touch it up when the ceiling dries. The roofer's story is that there were pockets of water trapped under the old roof and one of them probably worked its way down through the wall. Of course, we've caught this same individual in flat out lies, so the story may not be true.

And so it goes.

Kathie and Jeremy - so sorry you two are having such a rough time! Jeremy, I hope your health improves soon. Are the kidney stones still causing trouble? Sorry to hear about your grandmother passing away. No matter what their age, it seems like it's never a good time to say goodbye. May your sweet memories of her overcome your sorrow.

Kathie - I missed the first of this - what happened to your condo? Storm damage?

C J,

I think I may have passed the last stone on Wednesday but I'm not sure. I read that the antibiotics I'm on can cause problems with the kidneys, but I figure it was either one or the other. Haven't gotten rid of the wheezing and coughing, but I'm able to work, so I can deal with it.

Jeremy, glad your family is getting health again.

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. Life is getting closer to normal (although I'm not quite sure what normal is any more!). When unpacking yesterday, I found the missing door to the pottery shop. Apparently somebody from the (unnamed) company hired to removed the furniture and mitigate the water damage knocked it off and then flipped it into a nearby open box instead of leaving it with the building. I can't begin to list the stupid packing mistakes they made. There is damage to the furniture, the contents of drawers were dumped into boxes. Somehow the vacuum cleaner didn't make it back home and neither did one painting. Worst of all, Lloyd's large ceramic mask was smashed; the idiot packer forced it into a box that was too small. I cried when I opened the box. The woman in charge of packing is coming over on Monday. I hope she's bringing a very large checkbook with her.

Meanwhile, about 2 gallons of dirty water dripped out of the dining room ceiling between Monday and yesterday. I know it was two gallons because I measured it in a bucket. The drip stopped yesterday and the sheet rock is drying out, leaving stains. Thank goodness the painters left the leftover paint, so we can touch it up when the ceiling dries. The roofer's story is that there were pockets of water trapped under the old roof and one of them probably worked its way down through the wall. Of course, we've caught this same individual in flat out lies, so the story may not be true.

And so it goes.

You have also had quite a round this year, and I am so sorry about your "movers." We had a few bad ones in the navy, but also had some great ones. Hopefully the house is done 'crying' and you can get a handle on the remaining damage.

Ah, Kathy, you and Lloyd have surely had your hands full. May it all settle down now and assume normalcy again.

I have a completely off the wall question and thought, brought on by watching some old TV on Netflix, and I don't expect an answer (doubt there really is one LOL), but would be interested in others' thoughts.

Why is it that when we Americans, and I mean native born North Americans of the good ole U.S. of A, derive such enormous pleasure and somehow an "Ah, NOW I've heard the language I use everyday spoken properly" feeling when we listen to folks from the British Isles, and to a degree from Canada, and have a positive fondness and neqar childish delight in the language as used by the Aussies and Anzacs? Why don't we adore the way we speak our own English, but DO adore the way it is spoken elsewhere?

Just a silly question, folks.... :)

Also wanted to say that I was made aware of just how very wealthy I truly am in what really counts: people I care for and who care for me. Didn't get any of the mini work done that I had planned to do today because several friends and neighbors dropped by pretty much all day, to share their lives with me and allow me in some small way to share my life with them and in a couple of cases to help them out, and in one case to simply gift me with a bouquet of wildflowers that took my breath away and still blows my mind in its simple elegance in a mayo jar.

Folks, this was a GOOD day for me. For most of my life I have been, for various reasons, isolated and apart from the simple joy of being accepted, respected and even loved for just what I am. There really isn't any way I can express just how good today was for me.

Such a day is to be treasured. May you all experience your own versions of one of my best days, today.

• Like 3

Kathie - I missed the first of this - what happened to your condo? Storm damage?

Mary, a new roof was being put on the building. The roofer did not secure it properly over a weekend. Major rainstorm. Ten units were involved. Our unit and the one above us suffered the most damage.

Mary~ I enjoy accented english. I believe it is like music, the same ol' same ol' gets boring sometimes. Hearing an accent is different and more entertaining for a while. I bet if we lived somewhere they have accents like you are referring to, it too would get less exciting over time. I sometimes tell people they should provide voice for childrens book reading or tv/radio. I just like to hear them talk :)

Wildflowers in a jar. Nothing better. Have a good day everyone.

• Like 1

One of the delights of living in the Ssoutheastern US is all the accents we get, especially along the Gulf Coast.

Today the weather was funky (MUCH-needed rain, so no complaints!) and one of our friends was doing a book signing this afternoon, so we tootled over to the West and beginning in Loxley worked our way down SR59 stopping at all the strange and wonderful not-regular-stores to shop. The liquidator store had craft paints, fiberfill and vellum paper; the antiques mall had bronze dh furniture. I got a wee three-door cupboard; if they still have the matching rolltop desk next time I'll get it...

We ate lunch in one of our favorite spots, the Fish River Grill 2 in Foley. No matter what you order you get a free cup of the most onderful beans & greens soup!

We had a nice visit with our friend, Joe, and even though we're RV campers and don't do much with our tent, his Best Tent Camping in Alabama has layouts of all the campgrounds we've stayed in or are likely to stay in, since we're partial to state park, state & national forest and Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds.

• Like 3

I just got home from a 9 hour shift at work. I was going to put in 12 to make up for lost time this week, but the room started to spin, so I called it a day. There's something big going on (I can't say what for at least another month) so most my co-workers were also in the office. I do enjoy my work so I don't mind going, but I would rather panel and wire mini walls if I have a choice.

Yesterday night the older of my two sisters and my dad's twin brother came to visit. She is closer to our uncle than she is with our own dad (our dad doesn't visit us at all and we aren't always welcome to visit him) and takes him on her vacation every year. He looked like he had been through the ringer, but was in a better mood that he was on Monday when my grandmother passed. They're spending the next two weeks near Key Largo.

Been offline a few days,as my son takes his laptop-that he very generously shares with me-with him when he goes off to work for several days,in another town.Meanwhile,I got to have my little almost 3 year old grandniece for an overnight visit!What pure,rejuvenating joy to be able to see this world through a tiny one's eyes for awhile! Refreshed me and made me give up my chronic pity party for awhile.As does hearing all the sadness and troubles that some forum folks and others in our country have been through lately.Holding good thoughts and prayers of strength for all!xoxox

• Like 1

Hello everyone - it's good to be back again. It has been awhile since my last post but there sure has been a lot going on in my life lately. I have just returned from my honeymoon! Terry and I met almost two years ago and finally decided to marry! We had a lovely little garden wedding on May 25th with our children & families present, and then spent a few days enjoying ourselves in Washington, visiting places I had never seen before (including Hobby Lobby, where I bought the Orchid and a few other mini-goodies!) Over the next few months, we hope to sell our houses, find a little condo somewhere and do some travelling. We are blessed indeed to have found love & happiness again...

• Like 2

Well, I finally grabbed myself by the scruff of the neck, grabbed a broom and small vacuum - and dragged myself out to my Craft Cottage to clean it up! It looks like we will not be moving after all, and I had stopped working in the Cottage, doing only the micro minis in the house, so the critters had all winter to get comfortable. I got things stowed where they belonged, got the floor almost finished, got the workbench almost cleared, :rifle: and killed roughly one jillion spiders! Washington doesn't have all the creepies we had in Florida - the cockroaches, snakes, and mosquitoes - but we make up for it with spiders!! Big ones, little ones, and lots of nests, and enough webs to make a Halloween shawl out of! I didn't quite finish, but feel good about the progress so far. I have to get everything back in order so I can start the Spring Fling :)

• Like 1

Well this AM I started on our six loads of dirty clothes (a week's worth of clothes plus linens) and midway through the second load we heard "ratchety-CLUNK!" and when I took the clothes out at the end of the cycle there is nearly four inches of water in the bottom of the tub (it's a front-loader). We're pretty sure it's the pump. Anyway, for those who have read the saga of our new house, the former residents took everything with them that wasn't nailed down (and a few things that were) and we had to replace all the major appliances (washer, dryer, fridge and stove) and lucked out and found the stove and washer at thrift stores; so we knew it was just a question of time.

The new washer is due to arrive Friday, so tomorrow I get to bail out the old one. I have a lovely fire-ant nest outside the front door that I think will get the leftover water when I finish bailing.

• Like 1

OOh,Holly,I'm sure you detest those vile little things as much as I do! So far,(knocking on wood) they aren't as bad where I live now,as where I used to. Have you been inundated with yellow flies yet? Another vile creature! We decided to get up and mow early early tomorrow AM,before all nature's little buzzing demons run us off! Then my boy will put up the sweet little birdbath he got for the front yard.