What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/2011/12/sabby-chic-card-stock-bed-with-no-sew.html

The above link is the best one I have found for working with mat board. Kris does the best step-by-step tutorial. Just don't get mind boggled when you see all the directions. Just take one step at a time and complete that step - then move on. I just made a second bed and it only took me an hour to do it, since I had done the first mock up last week. It really is very easy. Check out her other tutorials on the left side of her blog.

I started a little domed top trunk this morning, didn't have a pattern, just going for it! Now that I have the hang of working with mat board, I pretty much figured out there isn't much I can't make with it.

• Like 2

I started a little domed top trunk this morning, didn't have a pattern, just going for it! Now that I have the hang of working with mat board, I pretty much figured out there isn't much I can't make with it.

You go, girl! :thumb:

• Like 1

Tracy,

Not sure if this is something you've heard a hundred times already, but when I was applying for jobs, I would look at the job description and think about all of the different jobs, volunteering and home projects I have ever done over the years. It's amazing how many different things we do that can translate into job skills. I always research the company thoroughly too. The last thing and possibly the most important, is to choose my resume that best fits the job type (I have 3 different resumes for different types of work) and then modify it to use the same wording or phrasing where applicable. Some companies use word recognition software to weed out resumes, so the more matching phrases, the better. The company I work for uses this kind of software. We get over 70,000 applicants a year (we only have about 750 employees world wide). The company's auto response will tell most applicants that they either don't fit the job requirements or that their resume has been forwarded to the department manager within 1 hour of it being submitted.

I hope you get the position your applying for!

Thanks Jeremy!! Fortunately, I currently have a job, so that takes some of the stress off. I am applying within the same department I am now, just a different section. I have been doing the same thing for 8 years, I really need a change and to learn something new. Some of the stuff I do now is a little related to the new positions, so I did take advantage of that. The other bits of related experience I have was 10+ years ago, so I'm really nervous. A lot of things have changed, and I'm doing good to remember things from last year!

That's really interesting about the screening software. I did try and use as many as the job description phrases as possible in my application and resume. So yay me. :)

I ended up at the last minute applying for 2 positions. I found out one of the postings has 2 openings, so I have 3 chances. Now I just have to hope that I'm given the chance!

We got the camper in during wind gusts, then went in a big circle back home, checking out "attractive nuisances" along the way.

We stopped at a consignment place that had all sorts of interesting stuff, including a Loving Family dh with furniture & dolls, and several campers. There the wind gusted so hard it nearly blew me off my feet whilst I was looking with DH, so I crawled back into our truck and watched two of the men who worked there tie down the advertising banners.

We the found a hobby shop that has a little bit of EVERYTHING, including dollhouse lumber and micro war gaming figures that will paint up into lovely dh bric-a-brac.

We drove through one big cloud burst before we got home. I made mac & cheese for lunch and we're having franks & beans for supper; definitely a day for comfort food!

• Like 2

It was in the upper 50s today but overcast. I was able to give all three dogs a bath. Now I hear from the weather that it is going to be windy and rainy. I thought that was going to happen today. I guess I can kiss the warmer temps goodbye too.

It has been sunny and in the mid 80's for a while down here. We're expecting to catch that storm front and cooler temps in the next day or two.

The two older kids knocked down the safety gates we have in place to keep Liam, our youngest, out of the bathroom and kitchen. While I was at work he got into the kitchen and pulled down a large cooking pot full of soup, pouring it all over the kitchen floor and tracking it into the carpet. Fortunately it hadn't warmed up enough to harm him, but that was just one of two messes he made today. The 2nd occurred while my wife was cleaning the first. He got into the cabinets in our master bath and poured a bottle of shampoo all over the living room carpet. Instead of mini work or preparing our tax return I have spent most of the evening steam cleaning carpets.

Oh yikes Jeremy!

The storm is through here, passed through at school pickup time. In fact they dismissed my school about 3 minutes early to get the kids out before it got bad. But it is just now hitting Valdosta, where Anslee is. She's at work, I'm worried to death...

Everything was okay here as far as I know, but north of here was a bad tornado. :( Caused a lot of damage. I'll be glad when it's all done!

Everyone that is still in its path, please be safe!

Well our stormy weather aftermath will be forecast overnight temp of 38 degrees and high tomorrow of 50. Ye gads, Jeremy, I thought mine were little speeding bullets when they were Liam's age! Believe me when I say that 40 years from now you'll look back on this and laugh...

Well our stormy weather aftermath will be forecast overnight temp of 38 degrees and high tomorrow of 50. Ye gads, Jeremy, I thought mine were little speeding bullets when they were Liam's age! Believe me when I say that 40 years from now you'll look back on this and laugh...

Liam is a two-foot tall bulldozer with jet engines and an oversize curiosity powered by a healthy intelligence. He was Lloyd's favorite. :)

• Like 1

17 degrees this morning, a huge drop from the lows 60s we had yesterday. Extremely windy ! And snow showers expected every day for the next week. YUCK !

Today I am disassembling the Pierce, and cleaning the real life house.

I also may start organizing my totes that are full of dollhouse stuff.

Jeremy, I can totally relate to spending an entire day cleaning up after 5 minutes of work by a small child. My youngest once stopped up the sink in the downstairs bath because he liked the way the water looked as it crashed to the floor, flooded the hallway, soaked the carpet. My niece once put an entire bottle of lotion in her hair to "make it soft and smell nice"; there was some leftover after her hairstyling duties so she started on her little brother's hair. My sister in law was washing it off for a week!

When my aunt & uncle visited us with my two little cousins DM decided we would paint the porch furniture. I was keeping my eye on the youngest, who was hapily & quietly playing in an out of the way corner with some of my toys, but apparently no one was watching her sister, a year older, who had taken a loaded paintbrush into the front bedroom and painted some of everything she found, including my one pre-Barbie fashion doll (this was the late 1940s)...

I keep reading all the kid 'horror' stories and thinking about an old friend of mine. When he and his brother were young, their parents took them on vacation. While traveling they stopped to visit a relative. For whatever reason, these genius parents all went to dinner, leaving the boys behind at the relatives house. While the adults were out to dinner the boys behaved perfectly. They cleaned the relatives prized collection. When the adults returned home, they found the boys had removed all of the fish from a salt water aquarium (verrrrry spendy fish, not to mention they were pets) and laid them out on the dining room table on paper towels and cleaned them. They even kept the fish in groups, attractively arranged on the expensive dining room tabletop. To make matters even worse, little fish outlines were left behind. I have never forgotten that story.

Little kids! When I was a teenage (many moons ago) I had a summer babysitting job taking care of two young girls. One was two years old and going through potty training. Back then they had an insert that fit a standard toilet so the child could sit there. I was instructed to put her on the potty and "let her sit there" until she was done. She HATED this. One day I sat her on the potty and had to briefly leave the room (don't remember why now) and from the other room I suddenly heard water running. I went in to find the child had stripped off her clothing and flushed it all down the toilet, which was now overrunning and wouldn't stop. Sorcerer's Apprentice style! Very funny now, but not then.

Liam is a two-foot tall bulldozer with jet engines and an oversize curiosity powered by a healthy intelligence. He was Lloyd's favorite. :)

ROTFLMAO! That about sums him up.

The steam cleaner turned the slimy mess into a foamy mess, so we went out around 1 a.m. to get a wet/dry vac. At 3 a.m. we gave up. At least we got the other 200 or so stains out of the carpet.

• Like 1

I screwed two 1" risers onto my furniture dollie this evening. Tomorrow I'll attach the two corresponding risers under the Tudor house, between the two bracer boards I installed to give the base a space to reach under for lifting. Whenever I try to move the house, the dollie usually gets hung up on almost anything and stays in place while the house slides over it until the far end tilts down onto the floor. The risers will work like a temporary lock to keep the two aligned during moves.

I have also been thinking about teaching my daughter to read music and play an instrument. I have a keyboard, banjo and bagpipe chanter, so there are a few options to choose from. I learned when I was 6, but she can count, so she should be able to play.

I finished the ladies secretary desk and now making little 1/2 scale books to go in it. When that is done, I can glue the door on the upper part of the cabinet with the glass front. Made a blotter to go on the desk part and working on a few other things to put in it. This is made from mat board and is on the same blog that I made the bed from.

• Like 1

So Patricia.....when are we going to see photos???

Soon! I am working on a little steamer trunk that I cut my own pattern for. As soon as a few of these things are done, I'll do a group shot of everything. This little desk is just so sweet. I love it.

• Like 1

Cleaned the house this morning, and spent this afternoon cutting tongue depressors apart to make a "slate roof" for the Piping Monkey Inn. I'd forgotten how tedious it is to do any kind of shingling one piece at a time!