What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Kat, I'm so glad that you found us and that being a part of this group of gentle souls is helping. Welcome home, and keep mini-ing! :)

Holly, I've never heard stated more clearly just what it is counselors et al. are really supposed to be doing for and with their clients. Sadly, a great many of them seem to be riding some personal hobby-horse (pardon the play on words LOL) instead of helping the client do the things they really need to do to keep the head-whackies away. Well, guess they're only human, too, after all.

A friend loaned me an entire beautifully organized 3-ring binder of crochet patterns for all kinds of things, one of which was the pattern for the mini afghan currently showing in the gallery here, and I am having trouble deciding which wonderful project to do in mini next - hey, all our problems should be so tough, right?

• Like 1

When I took required coursework as part of a promotion I received when working at a state mental hospital the instructors were a Tallahassee clinical psychologist and his assistant, and I availed myself of the opportunity to get some professional counselling. The really GOOD pros give you the insights, the skills and the actual tools to identify and deal with whatever's trying to scrambel your brains, and recognizing the therapeutic benefits of hobbies and play is a pretty darned useful tool!

holly said it. Part One. Part Two: the really good pros do what holly described, then they enable YOU so YOU can make.it through each week. They do NOT keep you coming back past the limits of what has been effective, IF done right. I have observed that the crackpots never want to let go.

Additionally: It is VERY important to remember there are humans on this forum. They are imperfect and can say very judgemental and hurtful things. For example, a member once pm'd me that I should LEAVE the forum if I had family problems. Please, kat, and EVERYONE, if a member here is disrespectful toward you, it is NOT the forum, it is one member. And guess what? They are hurting too! Be tough here, be comforted here.

• Like 2

Yep, I wasn't going to "share", but I see I'm not the only one to deal with difficulties in the past. When I was 16, my family was falling apart, but I was able to stay sane by recognizing my accomplishments. I had successfully completed my freshman year of high school, I was nearing the completion of 5 years of intensive religious studies and I was in good health. The problem was my dad was the kind of guy who thought everyone but himself had a problem. After my younger brother spent a couple of weeks in an adolescent inpatient psych ward, the shrink was looking for another payday (our insurance only covered 2 weeks of "treatment"). After tricking the entire family into having a "meeting" in the locked ward, I was cornered by the guy. Out of the blue he asked me how was I planning to kill myself! I explained all the reasons why I didn't have such thoughts. He turned to my dad and said I was in "denial" and needed to be kept for "treatment"! What a cute little catch-22 scam he had set up. Either you admit to thoughts of hurting yourself or you're in denial. I lost the only two weeks of summer break before marching band camp in a Club Med style lockup. I saw this same kind of "danged if you do, danged if you don't" setup later on in college. If you mourn the loss of a loved one, you're "co-dependent", but if you don't mourn, you're "detached and apathetic". Either way, you need treatment according to the "professionals".

There were several of my classmates also there for ADHD and other things. It didn't go unnoticed that while they talked about "living" they were feeding us the most unhealthy, deep-fried, oily meals imaginable. We commented on their two-fold plan to keep us alive so we would end up on the cardiac ward for by-pass surgery in another 30 or 40 years. The next school year we would talk about our time at "Camp Crestwood" and use coded phrases to keep others from finding out about our incarceration.

• Like 1

Jeremy~ Thank you for sharing this. I have never been there, but earlier in this topic memories came flooding back to me of when my sister went to counseling. The counselor convinced my Mom to bring me too. The problem: My sister HATED me and was mean to me. It was a living nightmare. So I go to the therpist and attend a session with my sister. The therapist TERRORIZED me. Talk about a nightmare. On the way home, my sister felt terrible for what was done to me and it helped us! Now, decades later, we are fine and have been ever since. I forget about what happened that day, for an hour. How do you forget two weeks? But, my point anyway.......this is happening ALOT and people need to know. Therapists, indirectly, get away with murder. And then.......there's the really great ones. Wish there was a way for us all to know who was safe. Bob Newhart?

• Like 1

That's the other reason I'm not jumping on the Victorian bandwagon. My houses are as sturdy as any plywood or MDF house (if not sturdier), so I don't mind building her a masterpiece. But Victorians are notorious for fragile trim details, which she would break easily. I really don't want to put any effort into building a "starter" or simple house she may lose interest in. My plan is to build a collectible house with plenty of rooms, but hold off on things like lights and quality furnishings until she is older. She isn't rough with her toys like my boys are and has shown a great deal of restraint and caution when opening the doors and cabinets in the Tudor house. I'm more concerned with the boys causing damage to it if we don't get into a real house soon, where she can keep it out of their reach.

Good points--not matter what you build for her, it will be beautiful

Here's laugh for you fellow sufferers. :rofl:

Last week I felt that walking around the house would feel better if I wore a pair of soft open toed slippers. I went to the store and found just one pair left in my size that might be suitable, They were covered in fur, sole and all, not my style, but what the heck. I came home and wore them for a couple of hours. Eventually the soles of my feet started to tingle uncomfortably.Oh crappola, I said to myself. They were tingling like that the week before and finally stopped, I didn't want that back again.

They actually felt better when I took the slippers off and walked on bare floors.

After a little while of bare floors my heel started to ache, so I knew I needed some padding under my feet. I remembered an extra pair of padded insoles in the closet, so I slipped them over the fur soles of the slippers. - Much better.

After an hour or so, I started feeling something like furry threads under my feet. :waycon: what tha??

Turns out that each little airhole in the insoles had a teensy weensy little thread sticking out of it. Apparently I was feeling the threads. I felt like the Princess and the Pea. :silly: You know, where she felt a pea under 20 mattresses?

Every now and then I think about those furry slippers and wonder if they can be shaved. :hide:

I wanted to add that though DH has his faults, and can be a real pain in the tuchus, he has enough good qualities to make him a keeper. Our 39th anniversary was a couple of weeks ago. One time he did feel my pain, though. It was when our youngest was born, DH was in the delivery room for that one, I insisted. He held my hand and later said he knew I must have had a lot of pain because I left deep gouges in his band from my fingernails, :bigwink:

• Like 1

Grazhe, next time wear comfy socks with those slippers?

We finally were able to give DS his "beach" day today at the section of Gulf Islands National Seashore on Perdido Key. It was gorgeous (rain in the forecast for this afternoon, but hasn't made it yet) and the water was perfect except for seeing one lone jellyfish, which convinced us to get out of the water; DS went back in and DH & I napped under our big brolly until lunchtime (late).

• Like 1

Lloyd & I celebrated out anniversary a bit late today. We saw an amazing matinee presentation of Fiddler on the Roof at the Lyceum Theater in Arrow Rock, Mo., and then had a nice early dinner at the Arrow Rock Station. The restaurant is in a 1931 stone gas station that has been converted. A superb chef. Home now and trying not to take a nap!

• Like 1

Socks? No good, Holly.

18 years ago I burned my left hand, required a skin graft. As my hand healed, now and then it would have an intense burning heat. After a few weeks my right hand started feeling intensely hot whenever the burned hand felt hot. A few weeks later, my feet started feeling hot, in sympathy, I suppose. Ever since then my hands and feet have rarely felt cold. I used to go to bed in winter with socks on my feet and my hands held close to my chest or stuck in my armpits so they'd warm up. I've rarely had cold hands or feet since my accident. Even in winter I sleep with my hands and feet out from under the covers. Goofy.

I've since discovered that my daughter claims she's always slept with her feet sticking out.

Speaking of goofy--------and daughters----

My son sent me this picture of his 2 year old daughter. It seems grandma's little cupcake felt the need to dress up, so she dug out one of her old bibs and put it on, together with her daddy's shoes.

resizedcopy_zpsfc30364f.jpg

• Like 4

Grazhina~ THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this adorable photo of a hopeful future miniaturist. And for anyone who doesn't get it.......we enjoy this hobby first because it is good for us and second, but more important, we do it because we hope to keep this great passion going FOR THE KIDS!

• Like 1

Love the picture Grazhina! She's adorable! :)

My husband left this morning for a whole week to go visit his mom in Houston and take care of her after surgery she had on the 20th. That's a long time for him to be gone, and over a holiday too.

I'm hoping I'll maybe use the time to be productive, and maybe make some progress on the Harrison... Wish me luck.

Tracy, I hope your MIL has a speedy recovery and your hubs a safe trip out & back.

We got home to find the following link in our in box from the Nature Conservancy, and we have been tranfixed watching these osprey chicks begin to practice flying: http://blog.nature.org/science/2013/06/03/osprey-cam-reality-tv-featuring-our-wild-neighbors/?src=e.give&autologin=true

Orange Beach is just down the road from us on the Gulf Coast.

Oh, man, we have all afternoon been "blessed" with horrid big nasty thunderstorms, with torrential rains and in some places dime-sized hail and high winds - looked on the weather radar map and a few hours ago there was the line of near-tornado intensity clouds marching from Cle Elum (3 miles from me) southeast to Ellensburg and they were warning people to get off the roads and indoors away from windows. NASTY!!!! And it's supposed to get up near 100 on Monday and Tuesday here - YEESH!!

A couple pictures of my little girl growing up. I would like to just say the one where she's feeding her doll - She shared most of the milkshake with her Daddy before sharing with doll Tina ;) Natasha too loves wearing everyone else's shoes Grazhina! Regularly raids my shoe shelf or wears her cousins pretty pink shoes if they're left around.

Still working away on the Fairfield - It is in dryfit while I sort out what colours to do the inside window/door trim. Do you tend to do all your windows the same colour, or do you mix and match depending on the walls? After that I will work on a fitted kitchen.

Hope the temperatures start to come down soon over in the US, I'd be happy to take 5 degrees or so!

post-2387-0-11025300-1372666557_thumb.jp

post-2387-0-42403100-1372666606_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Some days I wouldn't mind sending you a few extra of our degrees, Muriel; especially once we start hitting the triple digits in another month or so. Natash is turning into a beautiful little girl!

I see alot of personality in your adorable daughter. It's amazing how inspiring these little darlings are when it comes to keeping alive our dh hobby/passion. You have a very lucky daughter, Muriel and another lucky one soon........keep sharing :) I am obviously not alone in appreciating this :)

• Like 1

She sure is growing, Muriel!

We're mostly moved in at the new apartment. I packed boxes all night Thursday only to find all of the labels for the movers pulled off and spread all over the floor, thanks to my little "helpers". If that wasn't bad enough, the movers were scheduled to arrive in less than an hour and several boxes had been unpacked by them while I was working in another room. In all, it was a 34 hour moving marathon by the time we called it a day around 10 pm Friday. It took two more 14 hour days to move everything and clean up the old place. Now we have the fun of unpacking everything.

During the move, Julianna noticed the Mackenzie B & B and wanted to play with it. She said she wanted that house. I told her it wasn't purple (the color she seems set on) and she seemed only slightly bothered by that detail. If she does get that house, she won't have the long wait another build would require, but it also means the B & B will no longer be on the market.

• Like 1

Muriel, your little one is just gorgeous! I love that snap of her "sharing" her milkshake with her baby. Too precious:)

Jeremy, I feel your pain with moving and the "help" of little ones Your boys sound like a whole lot of trouble fun in two small packages:D I'm glad you got all moved, and Holly is correct about Julianna's taste!

It's quite hot and very humid here. We keep getting promised thunderstorms without delivery. I was able to get the laundry finished yesterday, making some Fling items this afternoon :)

Thank goodness it's cooler today - only got up to 85 or so and a nice breeze. We expect to have a couple more days like this, then it goes up again. Of course, with everything tinder dry and the wind, well, the fire hazard is extreme. Pray no one gets careless this Fourth of July holiday and that there are no lightning strikes.

Other than that, I came into some beautiful little spring onions, fava beans fresh in the pod, summer squash right off the vine, and am making a light veggie soup with chicken broth, the new veggies, garlic and herbs - smells SO good! I do love this time of year - also came into a bunch of fresh off the tree apricots that I plan to turn into a sauce, this while eating (over the sink of course) the fresh off the tree cling peaches I came into. Oh, it is SO good to have a farmer's market during the summer literally in my front yard! :)

• Like 2