What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Oh Muriel, I do hope they let you have the pump.

DS#2 has been a diabetic for just over one year, which is a requirement for the pump, so I am hoping that they will be taking to him about it on one of the next couple of appointments. Right now, he uses needles in the morning and insulin pens at supper and bedtime.

I don't know why the doctor has never suggested a pump for DH. I hope you get one, if so, I'll be anxious to hear about how it works for you.

Waiting on DS2 to come, the kids are sure antsy when they're shut in all day. But they have been really good. GD2 took a nice long snooze in DH's lap, so I took over the sofa while GS1 watched sponge bob. Thank God for the cartoon network!

Relieved that the week is over -- this week is a toss up between looking like one Dilbert cartoon strip after another or this

video (there's alot of swearing in the video -- just a warning).

Opted not to join BF and his friends out to dinner since I'm exhausted. After this post -- just going to put on my PJs, brew a cup of strong tea, set up a plate of cookies....

....and start on my taxes. Not sweating filing the federal return, but since I moved from MD to VA mid year....not looking forward to the taxes I'll be paying to both states. :congrats:

Well an update: the consultant is still very reluctant! Thinks I haven't done enough work on getting sugar levels lower with my 5 daily injections. He kinda came up with a 6 month plan, and then we'd see if it still wasn't working he'd refer me to the pump people. I then mentioned about getting married and wanting to start a family soon and that made him sit up a bit more and we came up with a 2 month plan instead :congrats: Still thinks it is very unlikely that I'd get anywhere near a pump in 6 months, but hopefully will get levels lower by seeing/talking to the diabetic nurse every couple weeks rather than months.

It is a bit of a double edged thing. To get a pump you have to have a HbA1c of 8.5% or higher, and/or suffer disabling hypoglycaemic episodes when you try and get your HbA1c lower. To get pregnant I need to have a HbA1c of 7% or lower. So want my levels to be lower, but also want a pump! Stupid UK pump policy! (and it isn't even equal throughout the UK, in some areas it is much easier to get one!)

So not the outcome I wanted, but at least more support and an accelerated plan. He's also refering me to the preconception clinic (and warned me that they may be up in arms at my levels :congrats: ) So I'm setting my alarm to ring every 2-3 hours so I can measure my sugar levels and record anything and everything every day and give them information overload! My poor fingers will be very tender from the pricking to measure blood sugar levels so often.

So I'm still very frustrated at the whole thing and wish I lived somewhere else, and wish that each time I move they wouldn't start from scratch. (When I lived in Portsmouth where I went to uni they had just accepted me into the prepump program which was to start the week we moved away. When I got here i took along a letter from my portsmouth consultant and they said 'it doesn't work like that, you can't just transfer. See how it goes and we'll talk about it next time'.

Anyway, off to change my insulin regimen and get some sleep! On a plus note, I have my first wedding dress fitting for alterations on monday morning! :D The invites have been printed and envelopes ordered :D I've ordered our ring samples :D

I had a fourth-grader in one of my elementary schools who had the pump, it was nice, when she came in to do her 1300 reading (postprandial) and we'd call her mom to get the scale (Mom kept the sliding scale, rather than giving us a copy, since they were still adjusting her daughter's dosages on the pump) and I'd tell her the reading on the monitor and she'd tell me how many units, and then the little girl would dial up her units and we'd double-check them with Mom and let her push. We had a lot less finger-licking before sticking ( a sneaky trick diabetic children quickly learn to artificially lower their readings) once she had her pump and some autonomy in managing her diabetes.

Two hours into my taxes -- I gave up the ghost and drove to my neighborhood H&R Block for them to do my taxes. Really didn't want to go that route, but trying to do two state tax returns was getting confusing. Guess the good news is that the accountant figured out what I needed to file, found out what I was doing wrong, found extra deductions, and I actually got a federal and two state refunds (versus two refunds and a massive tax payment to MD).

Downside? The whole service cost me about $340 to do three tax filings. Ended up paying it up front rather than having it deducted from my refund. Though I'm bummed because the money I just spend was cash I was saving to get supplies for the Rye and the Newport Cape....and a few other things.

Guess no mini online or store shopping until I get my refund. Nuts!

Now it's time to check the fridge for something to eat....BF still not home yet. Tea and cookies only went so far it appears....

I hear several of you taking about doing your taxes, and it reminds me of a big difference in systems. Here in Canada, it is way too early to do taxes. The tax year ends December 31st, so employers only give you your tax slip by the end of January, and you have until the end of February to put money away in a retirement plan for the previous tax year. Also, you only have to file by April 30th! So, I am at least a month away from having to deal with all that tax stuff.

The deadline here is 15 April, Liza, but the sooner one can file and get it over with the sooner one can collect the refund (if any). One of the downers since we reitred is that we no longer get the nice refunds and we usually wind up having to $end them some.

The weather is so ugly today we're planning to head over to Panama City; if the weather's going to be yucky we can go from thrift store to thrift store!lol

We file jointly. Sometimes we have to pay, very rarely, we get some back. I'm thinking that with all the medical bills this year and the poor real estate year, (since DH didn't work at it for months when he was ill), we may at least break even. At least I hope so! Then we can spend the money we set aside for taxes, on vacation!

Okay, did get the taxes done last night and sent them off. Ends up that the two things I was missing, one was under some dollhouse instructions and wallpaper , and the other was also on that same statement. We did get a refund, but not as much as we usually do, for 2 reasons. The first is that Work for Pay credit that started this year, where less was withheld from your check so you'd get a bigger paycheck, but of course then that's a lesser refund. I was expecting that, but I'm sure that's going to disappoint a lot of people who really look forward to their refund. Second is that Anslee is 18 now, so last year we stopped getting the child credit for her.

I just put some frozen bread dough in the bathroom (warmest room) to rise. Yum!

Now to try and get motivated and get something done today!

Waiting on the hush puppies to finish frying. We are having fried catfish, french fries and hush puppies. Highly unusual because we very rarely eat fried foods but today was just that kind of day. Been veging in front of the tv watching different documentaries I found on netflix.

Down here, we add just a touch of jalapeno to them, one of my favorite foods that I seldom get to eat.

We had cabin fever after all the snow, so headed to the mall to Barnes and Noble. It was unbelievably crowded in the mall, worst I've seen in years. I guess everyone else wanted out of the house too. Still too cold to be outside, but at least it was a change of scenery. Now I have a shepherd's pie in the oven made out of left over stew, and some painting to do tonite.

Hush puppies are made with cornmeal, onions and buttermilk, a few seasonings and then fried to a golden brown. They taste awesome.

Ooohh.....hushpuppies! Love eating them the minute you put them on paper towels to drain. My brother and I used to grab them right off the plates and pop them in our mouths. Sure, our tongues are burned by the end of the night -- but mmmm, crunchy savory goodness!! Way better than canned soup for dinner! :congrats:

BF and I got back from a 6 hr round trip up to Germantown, MD -- we foster for a small animal organization, and we had to drive to the coordinator's house because a family got approved to adopt our fosters (four female baby rats). Saw the babies off with their families, and picked up our new set of fosters (more baby rats) before driving back to VA.

Boy, the drive home was an adventure. If we weren't driving slow because of traffic or reaching areas where the snow wasn't plowed, we'd pull our SUV over to help out motorists who were stuck in the snow or were in an accident. We both carry roadside emergency kits in our vehicles so by the time we got home, we've used up all our flares and first aid kits (plus our cell phone batteries need to be recharged from all the calls we made to 911 or the state police). Luckily our new fosters slept through the whole ride. Not looking forward spending more cash to replenish those supplies, but at least those folks will be heading home safe and sound -- or are being treated at a hospital or something.

Joke of the night from BF is that maybe I should quit my web/IT job and maybe look into being an EMT or something. Not sure about that -- more tempted to write an angry letter to VA and MD about their poor coordination in getting the roads plowed. Part of the highway are almost impossible to travel through unless you're in a heavy vehicle. And we barely saw any plows doing any clearing/treating. *sigh*

Need to mull it over -- or I can just work on the Rye dollhouse. Yeah...think I'll do that instead. :congrats:

{sorry for the rambling -- this day was an unexpected ordeal}

Daphne, has anyone told you lately that you and your boyfriend are good folks? How many people will pull over to help others out in a weather crisis, not just once but over and over again, AND go prepared to make a difference to those less prepared? Not only do it, but not groan and moan about it, OR brag about it. Not many, I think! Not to mention fostering critters most consider vermin (me NOT included!). :congrats:

I'm proud to be on the same planet with you!

BTW, I am SO glad that Sharon mentioned hush puppies. I'd not thought of them in years and was kinda rattling around here wondering what to have with my wonderful bean and ham soup - didn't want to run up the street to the natural market for gluten-free biscuit mix or GF crackers, was out of rice cakes. Boy, those hush puppies tasted great!

You might think about getting certified and becoming a volunteer EMT. I did that when we lived in a small town that had only a volunteer service, and it was one of the most satisfying things I've done. I even went ahead and got certified as an instructor after I did the advanced training, and taught EMT-B classes to high school seniors until we moved. I don't know what the requirements are in your state, in Texas it's about 8 hrs a week for a semester and 150 hours of clinicals for the basic EMT certification. Another 8 hr a week class plus about 240 hrs clinicals for the advanced training, and Paramedics are rated about the same, and have the same training or more, as an RN. In fact in Texas, a Paramedic can take the state test and become an RN, although an RN is not allowed to take the paramedic test since they don't have the training for emergencies outside of the hospital setting. Something to think about!

Tiara moved into the granny house Thursday and I've been working on puting my possessions back in the spare bedroom in an organized manner. Today I found the missing drawer pull for the antique dresser :congrats: , which I've been filling full of overflow clothes from the small dresser in my bedroom. I went through a box of quilt fabric and pulled some out in colors and designs not to my taste as a part of my dejunking effort. I just found my Heat 'n Bond, so I can try fixing the comforter on my bed (a small tear I didn't notice when I acquired it is now a larger tear)

Right now I'm watching Robbie, while Dad brings Mummy and the twins home from the hospital. As soon as they get home, I'm going to snuggle tiny babies!

Last night Tiara celebrated having a place of her own by inviting me over for pizza. She washed her new dishes and put them away and we watched a repeat of Emma (now we're ready for tomorrow's conclusion!)

. She washed her new dishes and put them away and we watched a repeat of Emma (now we're ready for tomorrow's conclusion!)

Oh that you for reminding me!! I watched the first half but I need to tape the second half. I love Masterpiece Theater.

We have a full tank of oil and the temps are starting to go back up..Yippee! I am sitting here in Pjs. I need to get dressed for the gym but my partners today for it are not even awake yet. It is 930am already!

Fred has the day off today also. Going to have to think of something good for Sunday dinner.

Oh..I plum forgot to share the latest!!

Natalie announced on Friday that she is now a Vegetarian!

She hates veggies so we will see how this goes. Chelsea hated them also but she is still going strong. I guess less meat to buy.

Natalie announced on Friday that she is now a Vegetarian!

She hates veggies so we will see how this goes. Chelsea hated them also but she is still going strong. I guess less meat to buy.

When my daughter turned vegetarian she hated veggies too, except for corn. She disliked most vegetables during her vegetarian phase, although she did start eating more of them when she quit being a vegetarian LOL!!

Her younger brother has noticed there are a lot of vegetarians in his high school. It's popular to be a vegetarian and put down McDonald's he says. He's also noticed that many of the vegetarians in his school don't eat veggies either. They eat a lot of potato chips and pizza and similar things at lunch. His school has a salad and fruit bar every day, in addition to offering something meat free on most days.

Today I'm trying to get rid of my stiff neck. It hurt like the dickens yesterday. I had propped myself up on two pillows around 5am Saturday morning, because I felt a sinus headache coming on and wanted to get some more sleep. Wrong move on my part. Sometimes you just can't win. I was popping ibuprofins and using a heating pad on my neck to stay loose enough to get things done yesterday. It's not as bad today, just a little stiff and a bit tender. I've got to stay relaxed so it doesn't go back into a knot.

I was hoping to get most of the Franklin st. parlor done yesterday, but all I managed to do was get the crown molding on and paint the secondary molding. It's hard to work when you're holding your head to one side, you know?

I must have caught this from you, then. I feel miserable today! Stopped up head, sluggish, neck and shoulders hurt. Just what I needed. So far all I've done is start a load of wash and watch fishing shows on tv with DH. I hate being sick!

Graz,

She saw a video in science class. Not one of those slaughterhouse ones..Chelsea has showed her plenty of those. This one had to do with a link to eating meat and cancer.

Chelsea did not like veggies but corn. Now she eats every veggie there is out there. So I am confident that if Natalie only tries this..she will still grow an appreciation for veggies.

Eh..more chicken for me..hehehe Chelsea used to say that about kids in school that claimed to be vegetarian. They never ate right and were always sick and tired.

Natalie has a friend that is vegetarian and she loved to come over here because there was always some for her to eat. I think part of the problem is that some parents are not on board when their kid makes a life changing decision like their diet. I am not talking about the cooking part but like purchasing the food. Buying a little more veggies and a little less meat does not cost any more.

Chelsea bought a week worth of veggies (two weeks really because she froze some meals) and it only cost $30.

I guess I am more equipped for this now then back when Chelsea started..you all remember when I had my Vegan Freakout! LOL

It is cold..well I mean I am cold. Like in my bones cold. I need to take like a bubble bath with a good book and warm myself up.