What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I posted a forum posting tutorial for people not familiar with forum posting! It is in the site info, feedback and technical support forum :)

That took quite a bit of writing and formatting (quite proud really :flowers: ),

Muriel, Thanks for doing this. What a big job. I still haven't figured out how to do lots of things on the forum. this really doe shelp. The one thing I have never been able to locate is when Havana Holly encourages people to "pop over to the newcomers forum and introduce themselves." It's here but where?

The one thing I have never been able to locate is when Havana Holly encourages people to "pop over to the newcomers forum and introduce themselves." It's here but where?

From the main forums page, look at the top and there is a major heading called "The Front Office", with three sub-headings. The third one is "New Member Introductions".

...The one thing I have never been able to locate is when Havana Holly encourages people to "pop over to the newcomers forum and introduce themselves." It's here but where?
It's here: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...hp?showforum=15, where Liza said it is. havanaholly is guilty of assuming newcomers look over the front page of the forum and pop in & out to see what's what, sort of like dipping their toes in the water before diving on in. Sorry. :)

I'm sure there was a link in the welcome PM to the newcomers forum too :)

I'm glad you read it and some learned from it! :)

Ugh day today! left at 8:05am, got home at 10:15pm, and stopped for 30 minutes at lunchtime for lunch :flowers: Well supposed to be at the local shop tomorrow, so that is a nice 2 minute walk. Covering sick leave I think, so might be moved again if they do arrive. Sleepy time now though!

Too cold to play outside today, so I played minis. I made some 1:24 pelmet frames for the rest of the drapes I want, but I'll have to complete the construction first, to get to my boxes of fabrics & trims. I'm also making a divider attic wall with a door for another bathroom. I'm going to have to perform major surgery on the roof because of turning the chimney assembly 180 degrees.

The blizzard's finally stopped here in the Washington DC Metro area, so BF and I are waiting on a decision by OPM (U.S. Office of Personnel Management) if the federal government will be open tomorrow. BF works for the Dept of Education and my office follows on whatever the feds decide (most businesses here do that anyways). So far, our public transit systems are predicting that only the underground subway stations will be operating on a limited basis, while the bus systems are unavailable till the roads are clear. That's bad news for many commuters for the metro area -- if your car isn't buried in snow/ice, the roads are too awful to walk or bike, and you're out of luck in terms of taking a bus or catching a subway (since majority are above ground to begin with -- and those are closed).

Personally, don't mind the last couple of days of no work. Think just for everyone's safety here (and to give crews time to clear the snow), the rest of the week should be closed. Next monday's a federal holiday anyways.

This would be great for mini projects. But with the mail/delivery services either suspended or limited, I'm running out of materials to work on. :)

*Sigh* Guess in between building the Rye, I'll just see what I can purchase online now that my tax refunds are deposited in my checking account (woohoo!!)

Can you imagine how badly this storm is affecting the economy up there? Lots of people can't go to work, won't get paid for these days, no shoppers in the stores, no deliveries, taxis, bus fares, etc, etc.

I substituted for choir today. The teachers are gone to a 3 day workshop. But they invited the most wonderful guest teacher to cover for them. He's an Oriental man, a professor of music at Tech, has an amazing voice, just a charming man and exceptional teacher. Not only did I not have to do a thing but take attendance and maintain discipline, but I get to listen to him and this choir for 3 days!

The snow stopped sometime last night. It looks icy out there. Fred and I did not shovel last night. Instead we laid around and watched NCIS marathon..hehehe

His soup was really good. That was his first batch ever. He even put some potatoes in it for me. My Mom used to put cut up russets (skin still on) in her chicken soup. I love it! I told him next time we are going to be adventurous. He will make his soup and I will figure out how to make Matzo balls for it.

So today I am going to wait till the sun starts to warm up our part of the Earth and then go outside and slowly clean things off.

yup..i did a bit of shoveling but no lifting. I just pushed it aside. By the time I got out there the stuff was slushy. Fred finished up and I brushed off the cars. Then we went to BJs wholesale store and breakfast.

Finished clearing the snow off BF's SUV (my car's still buried -- guess I won't be driving it until all the snow around it melts!), and we did some quick errands before coming back. Post office mailman arrived at the same time with packages for me -- more components for the Rye, as well as a few items. Looking forward to throwing open the window in the dining room and enjoying some fresh air while tackling the floor and the basement window!

DH & I had appointments at the opthamologist. He has finally spotted signs that my high blood pressure has finally made it to the rear of my eyeballs (I think he forgot he'd noticed it last time...); he also just noticed the discoloration I've always had on my right cheek. The vision in my right eye has pooped considerably & I'm getting a new Rx. My new frames have two screws on each side, one to hold in the lens and a separate one for the hinge; so ASA I get the new ones I'm thinking of putting a miniscule drop of superglue gel on the lens screws to hold them in (I nearly lost a lens hiking in FDR State Park in GA last summer and the optician at Wally World put some superglue on the new screw he installed).

Then we delivered four humongous bags of various sets of dinnerware to the local charity thrift store. Today was "bread day", when they give away two packages of day-old bread from Publix to everybody, but we had just gone to the bread store earlier this week & didn't need any.

Then we stopped by the Health Department to deliver another elephant to my former coworker &, for a brief time, my supervisor until I retired; she's now the DON and still collects elephants (her sorority mascot). So far the only one I found for her I decided to keep is a stuffed baby wooly mammoth named Humphrey, who lives out in the camper with a baby stuffed leopard and a bison.

Last we stopped at the grocery store and I shall be cooking Low Country boil for supper. They also had fresh strawberries that called my name to be made into low-fat shortcake (sounds like an oxymoron, doesn't it?).

Massively busy day today, and will be much worse at the same branch tomorrow :) Not looking forward to it at all! But had fun tonight: School production did High School Musical and it was great fun. Chris (who normally really doesn't like musicals) liked it a lot - probably something to do with him knowing the kids. Anyway, enjoyed the evening immensely :welcome:

NJ just left. The TV room is in much better shape, and the Gazelle is where I can use it easily. No excuses now. :welcome: Next step, tackle my craft area. <shudder> A bunch of stuff from the TV room ended up on and around my work table. I can barely move in there!

so ASA I get the new ones I'm thinking of putting a miniscule drop of superglue gel on the lens screws to hold them in
Holly, try JB Weld ... it's a two-part epoxy made for gluing metal to metal. I repaired my goddaughter's glasses with it and it held for months. The superglue her mother had first tried worked loose in a matter of a week or so. I know you're not as abusive to your glasses as a 12-year-old, but still ...

Get it at the auto supply store. It's used to glue engine parts together. :)

Thanks, Kathie, I'll check into it (I may even have a two-part epoxy somewhere amongst DH's "potions"). I was very upset to get into the car after a 7 mile hike and have the right lens just drop into my hand because somewhere along the previous 7 miles the weensy screw that had held it in was gone (followed by that blind panic of realizing that the lens could have gone with it at any time! Did I mention I'm almost totally blind in the right eye without my glasses?).

I'm off to the dr's today to get the second of three joint Hepatitis A & B shots in preparation for some travelling this summer. Got my tetunus shot with the first Hep A & B shot. Such fun!

Then tonight, friends of DH are coming to our house because tomorrow, DS#2's hockey team (9 & 10 year old boys) is playing in a game called "Rink for Pink". The two local Atom A teams will be dressed in either pink with black or black with pink, with pink sticks, gloves, laces and hockey socks. The entrance fee for the game, along with the proceeds from the raffle, silent auction and bake sale, is all to raise money for the Regional Cancer Centre - hence the name.

After the game, each boy will present their pink stick to a cancer patient/survivor/representative of their choosing. For my son, a friend of DH has been cancer free for many years since a bone marrow transplant, so DS#2 will present her with his stick. Even the local media will be there, but the emphasis for the boys is to teach them that they can give back to the community and become good people.

Boy, I must have been tired! My back was aching, so I lay down with the heating pad around 6:30 p.m. last night. Around 7:00 my niece Tiara, now living next door, let herself in as usual and came into my room to ask me a question and thought me asleep. I told her I was just snuggling under the blankets with the heat pad. Some time later, I removed the heating pad and put on my CPap mask and turned it on, but I don't remember doing it. The next thing I know is waking up at 10:00 A.M., refreshed and full of energy. Is this how normal people feel? A typical night has me waking about 10 times, and last night I slept straight through?

Muriel, High School Musical was filmed and set at East High, about 3.5 miles from my house! The exteriors were shot at a different high school about 5 miles away. In the musical, as I understand it (not having seen it), East High has the arch-rival: West High. West High was the arch-rival of my high school: Granite High! East High is doing a thriving business, selling East High memorabilia to fans, which goes a long way to subsidizing school activities.

We had real sunshine and 60 degrees today! It was great. Babysitting tomorrow, but Monday off, so maybe I can play some. I had to get a student out of class today. An ED student (emotionally disturbed) had a meltdown and the two men in class with me had no idea what to do with her. Actually, the music teacher never realized it happened, I don't think, since she was behind him. And the other man took off for the office-why?? By the time he got back with help, I had the girl down in the nurse's office. As least she went, as I couldn't have forced her. She probably outweighed me by 50 lbs.

So I am looking forward to a quiet weekend, other than keeping a 2 year old whirlwind all morning!