Leona from The Navajo Nation

Leona

Hello, I am Leona Whitefinger-Buscad. I am a rural healthcare practitioner, both conventional and traditional, for The Navajo Nation. I travel to many states and stay for several weeks at each community. Although my Englisch is not sophisticated at times, I do hope that my message comes across well! I am starting a community project in an Arizona Nation Reservation. A group will build a large dollhouse. Some of the younger children, who will each have a room to decorate are living in a special home for abandoned and abused children. The Englisch word is "orphanage", I believe. Young women often construct dolls and miniature playsets that represent their lives, so the dollhouses they create are quite different than the ones on this site. They are, however, fascinated with modern American miniatures.

I anticipate asking lots of questions from this miniature community, as I will be bringing information and supplies for the construction of this project during the monthly visit. In the boxes with medicine, food, and clothes, will also be toys and dollhouse items! This will be the first time that our healthcare team has attempted non-healthcare related community involvement other than toys at Christmas, and we are all very excited.

A beautiful Monday to you all,

Leona Whitefinger-Buscad

Hello Leona! :)

This sounds like a wonderful project! There are plenty of people around to help you along the way, and I think we'd all be interested in following along with you!

I assume you speak native Navajo as a first language? It's a beautiful language to hear, I had a friend who spoke it. Don't worry, your English is just fine. :)

Hello and welcome to our community. What a great project, and we will be glad to assist in anyway possible. Questions are always welcomed. Please keep us posted on the progress.

Welcome to the forum, Leona! :)

What an exciting project you are working on! How many children will be involved in this?

Your English is just fine, no worries there. Please let us know how the dollhouse progresses - and ask any questions you need to. This is a wonderful, helpful place - full of very nice, friendly members. Please make yourself at home.

Welcome to the group.

One of my reasons for doing my dollhouse build class in a low income public school was my experiences working in public health with medically/socially high risk moms.

My experience has been that the houses my kids build not only look different but the way they are set up for family and social interaction is very different than my world view. The ones exception has been when we have built rooms designed as the fantasy bedroom of their own!

Hello and Good Monday again! Thank you all for your warm welcome, thank you everyone! And yes, my Native language is Navajo, which might help explain why I chose the name Leona when I left The Nation to attend school! All I knew was that she had shoes, houses, servants, and a lot of makeup. Now I know exactly who Leona Helmsley is! Well, life is a journey of learning.

To Aggiemae;

You seem to understand a unique consideration, one that I deal with every day. A most distinct difference occurs between Native Navajo Nation children and Navajo children who have returned to The Nation! One group is not aware of such sites as this! And the second, well, yes, I anticipate fantasy rooms!

This is certainly to be a fun project, one that I can report on every month!

Leona (Naa-as-tso-tsi lii-gaa-ii)

Welcome Leona,

I got the chance to visit the Navajo Nation when I was in high school - even got a tour of the government building. It may have changed some since then, but the artistic culture of the Navajo is wonderful. I hope your efforts showcase some of that in your mini's and please share with photos, if you can.

Welcome to our mini "family", Leona/ Naa-as-tso-tsi lii-gaa-ii, you are very welcome here and we look forward to your sharing your clients' work in words & pictures with us. I remember enjoying pictures of the "Painted Lady" houses that schoolchildren in San Francisco built out of oatmeal boxes and other cardboard boxes. I have also seen a posting somewhere of a lady building mini hogans.

I am a retired public health nurse, I worked in our local elementary schools. Our county in the FL Panhadle is a rural county and one of the poorest in the state, so I did a lot of parent health & wellness education, too.

Foamcore is a very versatile material to build miniature structures with, and a wonderful way to recycle those tri-fold display boards.

Hi Leona, (beautiful name!)

welcome to the forum, it sounds like a super project you are starting with the kids.

It will be interesting and learning (and healing I imagine) and what is more important it will bring each and everyone of you so much joy!!!

And a very happy new year to you!