Hello--I'm new!

jmgiles

Just wanted to take a moment and introduce myself. I'm Jan and my family got me the Beacon Hill for my birthday in March and we just opened the box--I am already overwhelmed, but excited, especially after reading the posts here!

My husband and I live in Colorado and we have 5 kids--a 22-year-old son who is married and in the Coast Guard, 19-year-old boy/girl twins who are in college, an 8-year-old daughter, and a 6-year-old son. My kids went together to buy the dollhouse--I have always been fascinated by them since I saw Colleen Moore's Fairy Castle at the Science and Industry Museum in Chicago as a child. I started one a long time ago, when I was in high school, but didn't finish it and my parents threw it out, so I am determined to get this one done!

I am glad to have found this group--I love the pictures! Thanks for any advice in the days ahead. My husband will appreciate technical advice as he is new to dollhouse construction though he has made RC planes. Should keep us both busy for awhile!

Jan

Hi and :p!! The Beacon Hill is a beautiful house. There are many people on here who have built it or have built it. I haven't, but maybe some day. Enjoy it!! Feel free to ask questions here if you get stuck (or overwhelmed). People are always happy to help. Also check out the pinned topics in the General Mini section. There are ones about getting started, etc.

Good luck!! Enjoy!!

:xmas_tree:

Oh, what a lovely house! If I only had the room... And there's so many "looks" you can give it, too.

check out the pinned topics in the General Mini section.
And don't leave out this source!

Welcome to our "little" family, Janice, and remember there are NO "dumb" questions!

:wave: Jan!

My DH is also new to dollhouses and is helping me with both of mine. I HOPE to add a 3rd house later on.. guess which one? The Beacon Hill. :wave: Good luck with your build, and do take pics of your progress along the way to show us!

Hi Jan,

I'm new here too, and just got my Pierce for Christmas.

It's just so amazing that I've loved dollhouses ever since I saw Colleen Moore's dollhouse at the Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago!!!! How cool is this??!!

Wasn't it amazing? I even dragged my husband there when I was 35 years old and hadn't lived in Chicago for years so he could see Colleen Moore's dollhouse with me.

The submarine and the coal mine exhibits were favorites too, and who could forget walking through the human heart? :hmm:

Look foward to seeing your progress with Beacon Hill. It was a tough decision between the Pierce and the BH. Wish I had room for both!

Kathleen

Kathleen, I think the Fairy Castle inspired a few folks here, as I have seen it mentioned a bit! My daughter and I went to England two years ago and saw Queen Mary's dollhouse--beautiful! It isn't a castle like Colleen Moore's house, but it is wonderful. I think that is what got my daughter, Emily, interested. She keeps voicing opinions on how my BH should be decorated--I think she plans to inherit it some day!

Jan