Greetings from an Iowa Newbie

mselle

Hello, everyone! What a great board -- I've learned so much so far without even asking a single question! There's some incredible talent here!

The other day I decided I needed a new hobby to indulge in to try to get myself away from teh dreaded TV, so I went to the local craft/hobby shop and just started looking around.

I got drawn to the dollhouses.

I chose the smallest, seemingly simplest one of them - the Orchid. I chose a few paints & brushes. What else could I possibly need to build this house, right? :(

I was excited! I went straight home and to the kitchen table. I carefully cut the box open and took out the instructions. I skimmed them for a few moments... and slowly and sadly put them back in the box. No way was I going to be able to put that thing together.

I returned to my spot in front of the TV. :p Each trip past the kitchen table I glanced at the box and it was whispering to me, I swear. And that wasn't the couple of beers talking, either.

With a sigh, I got the sheet out again and sat down with it. I read it about 12 times I decided to give it a whirl.

Of course I had to return to the store quite a few times since... come to find out, you do need a bit more than paint and brushes, haha :lol:

So at this point, I have the exterior painted, the interior walls painted and the bottom floor stained. I did a little variation on the door & dormer windows and replaced the inserts with a stained glass window design copied onto a transparency. (Thank you to whoever had that idea on this board!!!!!)

I have quite a few questions, but after this long post, I'll let you catch your breath before I start throwing them out!!!

Thanks for all the help here, it's a Godsend.

Welcome to the boards Rachelle. My first build was also an Orchid. It is a lovely little house and I had a great time building and decorating it. As for any questions, just ask away. Everyone here is so great you should have your answers in no time flat!! Oh, and after 5 posts, you can start a gallery and show us pictures of your work!!

Thank you for the welcome!

I chose what may seem odd colors! The outside is the same bone white/ off white as the model, but changed the accent colors to a cranberry/burgundy and a pink. The living room is the same off white and burgundy, the kitchen a grayish/country blue, the bedroom a lighter grayblue and the bathroom?? So far, white. I was considering a white and black bathroom; I like those white and black checkered floor sheets you can buy... but that is undecided. Now I'm wondering why I went with so much paint rather than wallpaper... but thanks for asking! (I'll bet you're sort of sorry you did now ! :( )

My excuse is that I can't help what the house wants... I'm just trying to listen. I hope we are speaking the same language, tho.!!!

Hello and welcome to the forum. No, you're not crazy for hearing what the house wants. Sometimes the houses yell instead of whisper and then you really have to listen. They insist on having their way and all we can do is give in or they simply won't cooperate with us.

Welcome to our "little family, Rachelle.

I glanced at the box and it was whispering to me, I swear.
Only whispering? Wait until you've built a couple more, then they become vocal, loud & sometimes strident. Some kits seem to be more opinionated than others, too.

I built an Orchid last summer in our RV camper whilst we were in VA, finishing it up when we got home, so I can testify it's an easy kit to build.

Hello and Welcome Rachelle!

I can relate to your story. Truly! I opened the box to my Tennyson, read the directions, and that was about as far as I got. I was totally overwhelmed.

14 yrs later and here I am, just getting started on the Tennyson. It is now a discontinued model. But even so,, The folks here have been so helpful. I'm so glad I found this website.

There is so much information here. Everything from A - Z. And if you can't find the info you need,, just open a New Topic and ask away. You're questions will most definitely be answered.

We have alot of fun here. Dean, the owner of Greenleaf, keeps us busy with treasure hunts to enter contests and win prizes.. like a new dollhouse kit!

Check out the member's galleries. Some really awesome work being done. So much talent.

Don't forget to get your camera ready and take some photos for us!!

Have fun , see you in the forum soon!!

Michelle

Hi and :(, Rachelle!! The Orchid is the first house I completed by myself. It is such a great little house. You can get black and white tile floors from scrapbook paper on-line for free. You just need to put a gloss finsih on it after gluing it down. Here is the link to the site I use for scrapbook paper, but it seems to be down right now. Every once in awhile it is down, but when I check later in the day it is back usually.

Feel free to ask your questions. There is always someone here to answer them. Enjoy!!

:lol:

Welcome to the neighborhood Rachelle!! You were not the only one to ever feel that way when you opened the box. I too was scared to the point of closing the box when I got my first kit too. Like you eventually I opened it and started it and now look, I can't STOP building. I can not wait to see pictures of your house Rachelle. What colors did you pick out? That is one of my favorite houses to build. I love the windows cause they look so real too.

Glad you opened the box and stopped by to say hello to us!!

:wave:

Hi Rachelle! This forum is an incredible source of support and ideas, esp. for newbies. I know exactly what you mean about the whispers - my glencroft (still sitting in it's 18 lb box under my dining room table) whispers "Start me...staaaaaart me!" everytime I walk through the dining room (which is about a hundred times a day, since you have to go through it to get upstairs).

Good luck with the Orchid! Can't wait to see some pictures!

Tiffany*

:wave:

Thank you all so very much for the very warm welcomes! How wonderful to have this great resource, I am so thrilled, relieved and grateful for it and you!

I am going to work like a fiend this weekend since I start a new job next week and will slow my pace down dramatically. I plan to do my second dry fit tonight and am excited about it... How do you people keep yourself occupied while you wait for things to dry anyway? (I guess come here!)

I have learned so much already, such as!

--Wood filler is possibly the most wonderful substance on earth. Wish I had discovered it earlier.

--Masking tape is my very, very good friend.

--Cheap paint brushes like to shed.

--When in doubt, walk away. The answer will likely come in the middle of the night, your eyes pop open and AHA, you know how/what to do.

--When in doubt, come here :wave:

So looking forward to gleaming all the knowledge I can from you experienced folks. I have some pics but they're of the first dry fit and look scary. I'll post the second fit pics; I have higher expectations of them. ")

How do you people keep yourself occupied while you wait for things to dry anyway? (I guess come here!)
You have intuitively acquired two of the characteristics of a miniaturist (you hear the kit chatting you up & you know how to entertain yourself whilst awaiting glue/ paint/ spackle/ paperclay to dry.
Wood filler is possibly the most wonderful substance on earth. Wish I had discovered it earlier.
I have posted somewhere my recipe for making my own, but you have to generate LOTS of sawdust; I cheat & get mine when I use the woodlathe.
Masking tape is my very, very good friend.
Right up there with

You cannot have too many clamps, and

Never try to cut with a dull blade, a brand new sharp blade and a healthy respect for all biting tools will spare you a lot of pain & body parts.

:wave: I just love it when a new member hears the houses talking to them.............sigh. It seems you are off to a great start so far, and don't seem a bit shy, which can happen. Ask away, we love to solve problems and share our ideas here. Only a few more posts and we can see your dry fit pictures!

Speaking of the stained glass windows and someone mentioned a tennyson. I am building a tennyson now and she will have (demanded actually) 8 to 10 stained glass windows, as well as a serious remodel (kit bash).

Oh La, more things are dry off I go to be creative................................