Why do we do it?

Debora59

I am curious why we do what we do?, How many of us do this for the sheer enjoyment?, How many with the intent to make a little money from our talent or skills? How many because its got some kind of hold on us? How many are collectors? Maybe we are born with artistic gift and must create to be sane?

• Like 1

Debora, the answers to that question have been what's kept me going for the past couple of years. The main reason I do it is because I need to create things as much as I need oxygen or water. Not being able to create put me into therapy for over a year when I was sick because I was drowning in the feeling that I'd lost my entire sense of self, so yes, in a very literal sense, I do this to stay sane. At least that's the top of my list. LOL!!

I still do textile arts but when I discovered miniatures, it was an immediate sense of "coming home".......just to a much smaller home than I'd envisioned. I fell in love with dollhouses because I like miniature replicas of real life things (tiny is cool), but stayed because I discovered several things along the way. In my dollhouse worlds, nothing bad happens. No one beats anyone else and no one gets sick and life is all completely normal in a way mine never has been and never will be. When my real world is spinning in circles, I can go to my dollhouses to ground and center myself again.

It's also an outlet for me to be silly or exotic or just downright weird by creating worlds that I can't have in real life. The Grim Reaper's Party Boat is probably the best example of that. <cackle> And I still think that building it was the most fun I've had in my life. I can't think of anything else that kept me laughing out loud the way I did the whole time I was building it and still makes me giggle when I look at it. But if I can't be a fairy or a samurai or run a Second Empire social salon, I *can* still have those things in my life.

I did start a mini business and until my health stopped me, it was going well and I considered myself to be the luckiest woman alive to be able to get paid for building dollhouses. Being the editor of the GL Gazette was one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. But the most valuable thing I've gained from dollhouses has been the friends I've made and the family I never knew I had. I didn't want the family of my own and didn't expect to find a new one at this late date in life, but when I found Greenleaf, I made some genuine connections that are stronger than any I ever had with people related to me by blood. I can't find the words to express how precious that is to me.

Oh, and Bruce's suggestion that got me into dollhouses is still a perk. It's a lot easier to rearrange furniture in a dollhouse than in a life size living room. :clap:

Deb

• Like 6

The artist in me "needs" to create something all the time.

I've been artistic, creative, a daydreamer, a hands-on, sensory styled person my whole life.

Creating with my heart and my hands is part of who I am - not some "thing" that I do.

As to miniatures specifically, I think the quote I have in my signature line expresses that quite well.

• Like 3

I've always had some type of project to keep me busy. I'm now a retired accountant who use to take work home so I could create elaborate Excel Spreadsheets which could predict how much cash the company would have six months from now, based on different scenarios. My talent was in the small details. Somehow, this obsession evolved into building dollhouses.

• Like 1

I ask my self this question all the time. Yesterday in particular I was having some challenges with the project I was working on almost to the point of tears, and just thought 'why am I doing this to myself ?" ...I don't really know. Its not always "fun", sometimes its incredibly difficult. Yet I cant imagine not doing it, that would be unbearable. Like telling the wind not to blow.

• Like 2

I feel compelled to build the houses and derive tremendous enjoyment from doing it. It definitely helps keep me sane and happy. I'm a collector to the extent that I've been collecting things for my houses for decades. I've never been able to resist minis. I have a few artisan pieces and would like to have more. As far as collecting the houses themselves, I've realized I'll be parting with some because I really love the building process and can't keep them all :)

• Like 2

For me, the spirit of creativity is a sacred thing. My life took some really horrible turns from early childhood and to keep a long story short, the day I stop creating, is the day I die. So far, I'm enjoying living just ONE more day and seeing what kind of fun I can conjure up. Looking forward to something good/positive/creative, is sometimes the best little push to get over a bad situation more quickly. So, no matter what I create (dance, writing, decorating, art, quilts, minis, dollhouses), each day is a step closer to becoming whole again.

• Like 4

The artist in me "needs" to create something all the time.

I've been artistic, creative, a daydreamer, a hands-on, sensory styled person my whole life.

Creating with my heart and my hands is part of who I am - not some "thing" that I do.

As to miniatures specifically, I think the quote I have in my signature line expresses that quite well.

Bravo Bravo, it all makes sense, its who we are , like you said its not a thing I do, its who I am
  • Like 1

So MANY great replies! And they all touched my heart and soul, as to why this hobby has such a powerful presence in my life too. So I hope you don't mind I borrowed your thoughts here :I agree its who we are, YES it was like coming home when I found this hobby, I must create and have projects to be happy and engaged. It is a spiritual thing its utilizing a gift from God. Its some kind of therapy to help us move forward. And its not always easy, it can be challenging. I have been trying to reassure myself lately that I have not gone off the deep end so to speak, and if I have its simply that I have a few too many and I should part with a couple.

• Like 2

In my dollhouse worlds, nothing bad happens. No one beats anyone else and no one gets sick and life is all completely normal in a way mine never has been and never will be. When my real world is spinning in circles, I can go to my dollhouses to ground and center myself again.

Deb

Deb, I related very well to your post. My sister-in-law feels that because I live in my parents' house, the dollhouse gives me a sense of control. Well that is part of it, but it is more the calming, soothing effect the house has on me. My dollhouse is about the only thing in my life that I can have exactly the way I want, and it is always there for me. Even before I had it remodeled, the possibilities were overflowing in my brain, and this was both soothing and invigorating.

For about twenty years I have been writing editorials about things I find upsetting in the news or about things I would like changed, and I am always standing up to some injustice by writing one letter or another. This also keeps me going, but the dollhouse keeps me grounded and reminds me of what is important in life and what will always be present inside me in spite of what I can't change.

If this sounds a bit melodramatic, I will make it simple. - I do it for the sheer enjoyment, and it also has a hold on me. However, I am also maintaining my grip on my hobby, and I am not letting go anytime soon.

• Like 4

I have always been creative and needed outlets, so miniatures are one of many outlets for me.

But I also 100% agree with Rackey as an adult living in a parental type living situation, it does give me an element of control and an escape fantasy. I can have my dream home even if my living situation is less than ideal. There are many things in my life beyond my control: I have a daughter with severe disabilities, I have a hard time with my living situation even though it allows me to be home with my kids. It's been a rough road but miniatures allow me a life and a fantasy that reality can't ruin.

• Like 2

For those of you still living with parents/ the previous generation, speaking as one who has an adult child with a severe handicap it is difficult but necessary to let go and let your adult child BE an adult and independent and responsible; and harder still when they're under your roof. I remember one RV camping trip we took him on things came to a head and I had to grit my teeth and remind him that while he might be our son he was still an adult, and that as his parents we love him, but we also respect that he's an adult and we expect him to act like one, even when staying with us; he is very intelligent, and that was the end of the problem (we occasionally have other, more "intersting" things come up, due to the psychotic features of his disability...) Thank y'all for your patience and forebearance with your parents; they do love you!

• Like 1

I do it because I just really enjoy it. I remember building my first furniture kit and thinking that I had never enjoyed myself so much. What I really like when building a dollhouse is the series of small and doable challenges and tasks. You get a continual sense of having achieved something. Plus I can use skills from all areas of life - measuring, building, decorating, arranging furniture, shingling, sewing, embroidery, and even my nemesis, cutting crown molding. Best hobby ever!!

• Like 2

Like many here, I have the need to create. It used to be painting and songwriting, I guess now, it's miniatures. Beyond that, right now, it's simply to see if I can. When something "runs" in the family and you're the next generation, well, you can either run from fear of inability, or face it head on. I think I can, but now I need to try.

(Also, because I cannot decorate/remodel my own home as I'd like or as many times as I'd like. This is a much more tangible version of home design software, no?)

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time for miniatures when life is "normal," but right now I'm recovering from foot surgery and will be in bed with my foot elevated for a total of about eight weeks... Why do I do it? Working on a dollhouse project is keeping me sane!!

Thanks for keeping me company in your posts and providing an ongoing education in miniatures. This community is awesome and being here is making my Madison bash project even more fun!

• Like 2

You may be right about that, Holly! I already find myself thinking about future projects and was even watching an eBay auction for a Duracraft Alpine kit, thinking I might like to try it next. I realize these could be early warning signs of a mini addiction setting in! But I have to say how great it is to wake up excited and get to work on my plans for the Madison -- instead of trying to find something on Netflix I haven't already seen (I had the same surgery on the other foot last year).

The nice thing about minis as a hobby is that they will wait for you to come play at the next session, whether it's tomorrow or next year (I got started while in Nursing School at age 50, so my first kit took me 3 1/2 years to finish enough to give the granddaughter at the time).

• Like 1

I do it for the entertainment and for the joy of seeing something I was able to accomplish. I like the challenge aspect of it and finding ways to fix or create the look I'm going for. I also like to collect tiny things. Of course, I do get some OCD satisfaction from it as well.

• Like 2

It's my therapy to cope with sad things. I like that I can make something & if it comes out badly, I can rip it apart and start again! I have also discovered the creative part of me that was waiting to be let out and it has been amazing to nourish this creativity. And I love having the camaraderie on this forum.

• Like 3

Having always been creative this is by far the most enjoyable hobby ever. From fairy tales to castles with dungeons and torture chambers and everything in between, I am constantly being challenged and learning new things. When real life things get me down I know I can escape to my mini world where things are always upbeat and happy, even when things don't go as planned, there is usually an easy fix. And hands down the best part of the world of miniatures is this forum, I am so glad to have stumbled across it, so many talented , creative, like minded individuals to share with and learn from. Not to mention the fantastic friends I've made here, you make my day! :D So be it therapy, or a creative escape, it is by far the best hobby ever!!

• Like 1

I have always been crafty and love creating something. I always had a fascination with miniatures too. I have not done any minis since spring fling due to realife ( there are loads of issues there). My crafts and dollhouse building have been my anchor to sanity and the absence of that lately is showing big time. Whenever I have felt bad all I had to do was go to my dollhouses and that would take my mind off the problems of realife. Lately I have not had the time or energy and the absence of my hobby to heal me has resulted in a state of depression that seems to be difficult to shake. I'm hoping to get back to it so that it can work it's magic.