So how is the weather where you're at ?

Stacey6163

"Who's on first?" was Abbott and Costello, but how did you and your dad keep a straight face with your mom?  Our part of Seminole is very woodsy and no one in our neighborhood can have a veggie garden for the deer.  When we eat our breakfast on the back porch we sometimes get a show of deer families roaming out to browse.

Kathie, it warmed up enough here I had to switch back to the a/c yesterday, and our weatherman forecasts warmer for the rest of the weekend.

Sort of feels like we are living in some kind of igloo right about now,,still snow covered ground mostly,,just around freezing temps, a misty-fog and almost full moon behind the sheer fog veil....

gorgeous yet a bit eerie and wondering about the roads in the morning, ie if I should put the skates on instead of tires....

hugs

1 hour ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Today in the Northwest... Unbelievable!

IMG_1625.JPG

Is that Mt Rainer? Freaked out the first time I saw it. It's wild flying into Seattle and the plane is lower than the mountains. Memorable experience.

Our mini heat wave (75-80F) is ending and we're bracing for more wintery weather (55-60F) here in New Orleans. Although there isn't usually much of a seasonal change in foliage, the trees that are usually brown by this time of year are still green. 

WOOWOOWOO! I wanted rainstorms and windstorms and I think I got them!

This reminds me of when I first came to Washington. I worked in Seattle and someone asked me what I liked about the area. I said it was nice, but I was hoping for snow. So naturally, we got a pile of snow and Seattle all but shut down. I came back and for the fun of it, put a note in the break room that said, "Sorry for the snow. Maybe I should just wish for an earthquake." So naturally, a week or so later we had the Nisqually earthquake. So my next note said, "Sorry for the earthquake" and I wasn't allowed to post anything else in the break room for as long as I worked there.

Anyway, this last week we had 5 storms lined up one after the other taking aim at the Pacific NW. Today was storm #4. I distinctly remember reading about how Storms 4 and 5 weren't supposed to be as bad as #3. HA! Number 4 was worse, as far as I was concerned. When I was in the DMV today, the rain was pouring down (sideways on account of the wind), the lake which covered the entire parking lot was being whipped into waves, and we had hail slamming down on top of all that. I will admit we didn't get the thunder and lightning we got in Storm #3, though.

Then I left the DMV and drove a mile down the road to the grocery store, and there was blue sky and sunshine. Also the grocery store had lost power. So I shopped in the dark for a wee bit. Now that was certainly different.

But today, we got a lot more damage from the storm. Two people are dead now and I read where I-5 NB is closed just north of Vancouver. Storm #5 is supposed to come in tomorrow night and we'll see what happens then.

The worst part of all this is the flooding on the rivers. And did I forget to mention the tornado that touched down in southwest Washington? Winter is here, folks!

There were only 2 sandwich boards put out today (people here are beginning to learn something about sandwich boards, I guess) and both were down on the sidewalk by 10am. Safeway may rethink theirs, too. They had one as tall as I am in front of the store - and it was flat out as well.

All you people from Canada to Northern California, be safe!

I keep hoping that your Pineapple Express storm will bring snow to New Hampshire so my son can finally see his first snowfall. He's a Florida native and this is his first winter up north. But the storms keep going north of him.  They said this happened last year and then boom they got 7 feet of it.  When we went to visit him in October I bought him an adjustable ice scraper brush combo thingy from Walmart. The woman who is providing him free housing laughed at the size of it. She figured it would clear a large truck covered in snow and ice in no time at all. He has a Honda CRV. What does a Florida girl know about ice scrapers?

Bring on the cold, pretty please! We've had a warming trend this week, which means, you've guessed it, the bugs are back out in force. Flies, mosquitos, and the wasps are waking up. Argh. Give me some cold to kill those creepy crawlies! The only good thing about the temperature is that I can do more glass grinding during the day, because my hands don't get as cold. Still, I can hope for snow, right?

On Thursday, December 10, 2015 8:45:40, Sable said:

I keep hoping that your Pineapple Express storm will bring snow to New Hampshire so my son can finally see his first snowfall. He's a Florida native and this is his first winter up north. But the storms keep going north of him.  They said this happened last year and then boom they got 7 feet of it.  When we went to visit him in October I bought him an adjustable ice scraper brush combo thingy from Walmart. The woman who is providing him free housing laughed at the size of it. She figured it would clear a large truck covered in snow and ice in no time at all. He has a Honda CRV. What does a Florida girl know about ice scrapers?

I'm not sure they're Pineapple Expresses. For some reason, I thought they were being driven down from Alaska. But I could be wrong, considering the amount of rain we've gotten.

• 2 weeks later...

We had rain off & on all day, mostly on, with bodacious winds after dark.  About 7 PM the light blinked a few times and then went out,, apparently all over Seminole, as once wed located flashlights H & I went outside to see who still had power and it was ALL dark.  A neighbor on her way home from Christmas shopping stopped to ask us when the power died, and she was the one who told us all of Seminole was dark.  I finished supper dishes by DS' flashlight and we adjourned to the back porch with the battery-operated radio until the lights came back on.  It began raining again just before the lights came back on, and I hope the power company people where finished and back in their warm, dry truck before the rain started up again.

We are living up to our reputation again of having RAIN!  My aunt used to call this the Great NorthWET.   :)  

Lots of snow in the mountains and delightfully cold weather. Looks like we might finally get a proper winter, after two or three very dry and warm winters. Last winter was way too warm and dry, and we paid for it this summer with lots of forest fires. Not fun! The ski resorts are doing great this year. 

Weatherman says we might get snow in the lowlands for Christmas - hope so.