So how is the weather where you're at ?

Stacey6163

Kathie, I hope y'all missed the tornadoes.  The Mobile CBS affiliate pre-empted the national news to keep tabs on the weather; they have the best local news and weather coverage, IMO.  We aren't in their storms' path, we have another storm headed our way out of the Gulf.  I hear thunder, and I hope if the power is affected it's after my dinner finishes cooking!

The worst of it passed west and north of us. There have been fatalities in a trailer park. Just wicked windy now. Close your hurricane shutters and stay hunkered down for a while.

The last of the clouds moved on yesterday and today had dawned clear and COLD and beautiful!  By Sunday, when DIL runs her half marathon, weather is forecast to be high 60sF and sunshine  I don't think it gets much better.

It is COLD here in North Alabama too.  I have my fingers crossed that it's temporary. The daffodils are beginning to bloom. In the South we call them buttercups:-)) You usually see them in clumps throughout the countryside and that property was most likely once a farm place where the homeowner planted/transferred them to bring a spot of beauty in mostly hard times.  Sometimes you can spot an old well, a falling chimney and huge oak trees. The buildings and people are gone, but the flowers continue to bloom each Spring.  It always makes my heart tender to see those strong little plants. There's a lesson in that, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Sue I would love to have some daffodils to look at!!!!   I have to wait until the cactus bloom months from now to see flowers!    Enjoy them!!!  
Its colder than I thought outside!!!   Not 0 like it was but in the low 30's.    The sun is beautiful though against the deep blue sky.  I love this altitude for that!   :)

Sue, it's a bit chilly even here on the coast, but slowly supposed to warm up a tad over the weekend.  My S GA inlaws referred to daffodils as jonquils.  I had them at our Havana house.  Between the moles and the deer I'm skittish about planting any bulb flowers here.

• Like 1

According to the American Daffodil Society, a jonquil is one of the thirteen divisions of daffodils. ...  All of these perennials fall under the Narcissus genus. 

Read the whole story here.

Holly, moles eat earthworms. They don't bother bulbs or plant roots. 

If you were in Washington, it would be the slugs eating the bulbs.

I'm happy all of you are safe - I was just reading about all the storms. They sound pretty bad. Especially as this is February and the tornadoes are already so bad. I hate to think what spring is going to bring.

I do wish something would happen here. We've had a few days of sun, then a few days of drizz, then some sun again, and then some drizz again. We've had two earthquakes a stones throw from where I used to live. I slept through the first one last Saturday and never felt the other one on Tuesday. But I sure did hear the boom when that triplewide house blew up! It sounded like a large THUMP and I was ten miles away as the crow flies. I understand they heard it in Belfair and at the naval station in Bangor, about 20 miles away too. And it registered on all the earthquake monitors in the area, including Seattle. That house blew up on 2 1/2 acres and there was debris 30 ft high in the trees. Can you imagine the destruction if it had been a house in more dense neighborhood? So far everyone is thinking it was a propane leak, but they haven't determined the cause for certain yet.That's not what I want when I say I wish something would happen, believe me! WInd and rain will do just fine for excitement.

• 3 weeks later...

Just around freezing temps here and a grey fog is all over like a cozy blanket... Supporsedly it is going to clear up later during the day, we'll see.

hugs

The hiking part of the Alabama Hiking Trail Society conference was rained out but the presentations were excellent.  When the sun came out yesterday it was lovely and warm, and warm again today, and I am sick with allergies; slowly drying up and the pain is receding since we're home.  Tomorrow we take the truck in for the last repair related to our tire tread separation.

We continue to get rain and more rain here in western WA.  I was up on the Olympic Peninsula this weekend working at a Home Show, and storms moved in Sunday afternoon. The Hood Canal floating bridge connects to the Kitsap Peninsula and I usually take that route coming home. But it was closed yesterday due to the high winds, and the weather report said "closed indefinitely" so I drove around. Haven't been out that way for a long time, and it was an interesting drive. Trees had been down on the highway, but were cleared by the time I got there. I guess most people waited for the bridge to open as there was very little traffic on my route and I had a very pleasant drive home. :)  I figured even if I drove farther, it was better than sitting still in a lineup of cars.