Greenleaf's Sixth Annual Spring Fling Contest

Still no idea what it will be and if it tells me it wants to be fancy - well sorry - no more money left for frills.

Jo, with your skills, you can create any frills the little guy demands. :D

Chris, definitly familiar feeling!!! :hmm: so looking forward tomreceiving my kit as well as the greenhouse! Right now there are two ideas that I am going back and forth between, will see what the kit itself is interested inwhen it arrives...

I am open for suggestions still so to speak LOL

Hugs

I really want to take part in the Spring Fling contest this year, and I have some really good idea's, does anyone know if the free shipping applies to Canadians as well? If not I'm not sure that I can afford to take part, as the shipping adds so much to the cost of the order. I'm not only thinking of the cost of the base house itself and all of the add on's available, but also all of the other supplies that I will have to pick up along the way, this is an extremely expensive hobby, but I sure do love it!!

Mine has arrived!!--not sure if it is at the post office or my house (just checked online tracking)--if it is small they usually keep it at the post office, I will check there first after work...I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Tappy

Oh dear, the package that I just paid customs charges on - and which will be delivered tomorrow - may not actually be the spring fling after all. I ordered some kits from Cynthia Howe miniatures after I saw a beautiful clock that Brae had made and when I chased this up she told me it was tracked to the depot where it was awaiting customs charges payment. That's going to make these kits rather expensive methinks - and possibly another lot of customs charges to pay when the SF does arrive. Slaps head and wonders if she'll ever learn - I'm a bit like - "oh pretty shiny things in America - I'll have some of them"

Jo, between the fantastically high postage we on this side of the pond pay and the customs charges y'all have on your side, it makes me wonder WHO is ultimately getting all our money?

• Like 2

Jo, between the fantastically high postage we on this side of the pond pay and the customs charges y'all have on your side, it makes me wonder WHO is ultimately getting all our money?

True Holly. Shipping and customs charges make this spring fling - not such a cheapie although Greenleaf have reduced the international shipping charges for us foreigners - our country just takes what we saved back again in customs duty. Wonder if there's a dollhouse kit smuggling ring anywhere that I could schmooze my way into.

Well, haven't been Flinging for a few days. Have a very close friend of 9 years leaving for Canada this week. :sad_2: Will really miss her, but thankful that I have my idea in place and will have something to work on after she leaves.

My idea keeps expanding though, it's like it has a mind of it's own. I keep saying how in the world am I going to do THAT????? :hmm: Love hearing all the ideas and fun going on here!

I'm sorry about your friend moving. I'm thinking your Spring Fling is here at just the right time. Hopefully you can visit often.

• Like 1

Wonder if there's a dollhouse kit smuggling ring anywhere that I could schmooze my way into.

:hmm: Wonder if a dollhouse kit would fit into a diplomatic pouch. I could be very diplomatic if someone were to help pay my way to deliver it.

Hey, it arrived today - how quick is that - and the best bit of all - NO CUSTOMS CHARGE - happy me - clever Greenleaf. Our customs process is very strange, they select random parcels, not all parcels, its just the luck of the draw. I wonder if inspiration will strike at all now that its in my sticky mitts.

• Like 1

Jo, I have no doubt you and your muse will come up with something utterly fantastic. :bear: Have fun!! FLING ON!!

I am off to the Bishop show today to see if I can glean any inspiration. Mine seems to have taken a break, so I'm going to go see if something at the shows will jostle the creative juices. :bicycle:

• Like 1

I am having the BEST time Flinging (in between work <_< that is) But, at least I work from home now, so I can look at my project and plan for when I can get back to it. :)

At first I thought my bashing wouldn't work, but it has so far and I am loving it!

I will say that I went with 1/12 scale - just have too much 1/12 stuff stashed away that I can use. And since the footprint would be the same either way, it makes sense to use what I have.

Love hearing about everyone's enthusiasm! Looking forward to the Fling always seems to snap me out of my winter doldrums and it feels good! :banana:

Oh so envious of all those of you off to the Bishop show - hope you all come back home loaded with wonderful goodies - and that you will share pics of them if they are not SF related - or even if they are. :nonono: :nonono:

I'm still not brimming with inspiration, I seem to have one idea in my head and no room for anything else despite the fact that one of our lovely members here sent me a whole load of suggestions and pictures to try and help me out of my doldrums. Trouble is, my one idea is a very obvious idea and I do like to have something a bit more off the wall to make the creative juices flow. Still if that's what it wants to be - who am I to argue with a kit. Maybe if I can make it a very nice obvious thingamybob - hmmmm.

Jo, whatever you make of it will be amazing!

But, I know how it is to not feel inspired by a kit. Makes it hard to want to get started.

I just could not make myself love the roof line of the kit, so that was the first thing I had to change in order to want to work on it.

Now I am having fun with it.

Hope you find an idea you are happy with soon!

Well, back from the glorious Bishop show and IMA show and I spent WAAAY too much $$$. I actually did pretty well at keeping a lid on it .. until I got to The Lighting Bug at IMA..(sigh). In fact, I bought more lighting than anything else..LOL And THAT was NOT 'the plan'. Just goes to show..."plan all you want - these mini shows will wear you down in ways you never even thought of".. :bear:

At any rate, I got some nice items - all suitably ____ish for the Fling, so tomorrow it is back to getting this Fling-thing progressing again. After all that shopping, I am too pooped to pop tonight. DH keeps sayin' "I'll take you back down there on Sunday if you wanna go"...and I'm like, "Please!!! DON'T ENCOURAGE ME!!" He must be off his meds :bop: ...LOL I'm just going to put the leftover $$ in PayPal and internet shop it away from the comfort of my chair. hehehehe

On a sad note: Bill Lankford was not at the IMA show today. :( Not sure why he wasn't, but I do so hope everything is OK. I truly LOVE his landscaping stuff, and would have spent another small fortune at his table.

Oh..and is it just me...or is Bespaq smaller in scale than most other pieces?? I swear, it is so beautiful, but you put it up next to something 'other' and it suddenly looks "uh-oh"...just a thought. Sorry, I'm rambling...

Bill didn't make it there? :( I hope he is Ok too. He stopped doing classes because he had a heart attack years ago that made him take it easy. I was looking forward to getting some of his stuff too. I'll be there tomorrow and Can not wait to see your lighting and you contest house. We gotta wait till labor day.... Not sure how we will be able to contain ourselves lol

I hope Bill is alright too Tracy. He is such a sweet guy. I couldn't find Ray Storey at the Bishop either :( (More lighting..go figure..lol), but that just may have been due to my 'old' eyes. Ray is always such fun to chat with, so I missed him. And it was not that crowded either. Oh Well...do hope they are A-ok. They do such fantastic work and are always on my list of "MUST stop and see".

Have a wonderful time tomorrow!!♥♥

Ray Storey was at Bishop and absconded with some of my funds. :lol: He's definitely a wonderful person to chat with, and his work is outstanding.

I, too, bought a lot. I went to both Bishop and 3 Blind Mice today. I will hit IMA tomorrow and possibly take the shuttle back over to Bishop if it strikes my fancy. Besides the great classes I took yesterday, I also found some perfect things for the SF, the Heritage and even my next main build. :D

Oh..and is it just me...or is Bespaq smaller in scale than most other pieces?? I swear, it is so beautiful, but you put it up next to something 'other' and it suddenly looks "uh-oh"..

It's not just you. Bespaq is more delicate than other miniatures and it IS smaller even tho it's still considered1;12 scale. If I do a house for a client and use more than three or four pieces of Bespaq, the entire house pretty much needs to be furnished with it to keep things in proportion. If you look at the custom Rosedale, you can see that. I had to return several pieces of furniture that I ordered for that house and replace them with Bespaq because they just looked too large. It took awhile but I got the interior balanced out so it all looked the same.......an interesting mini challenge that I enjoyed quite a lot.

Now I'm rambling. It must be catching. LOL! I'm just sooooooooooooo jealous of you guys at the Bishop show. What fun!!

Deb

Ray Storey was at Bishop and absconded with some of my funds. :lol: He's definitely a wonderful person to chat with, and his work is outstanding.

I, too, bought a lot. I went to both Bishop and 3 Blind Mice today. I will hit IMA tomorrow and possibly take the shuttle back over to Bishop if it strikes my fancy. Besides the great classes I took yesterday, I also found some perfect things for the SF, the Heritage and even my next main build. :D

Then it was just my old eyes. Whew! Glad he was there and you got some of his lovely stuff. With the lighting 'kick' I was on...he probably would have cleaned me OUT, so just as well that I 'missed' him. :boot: