What's everyone working on?

Besides baking peach pies, I was busy beginning work on the white colonial farmhouse rehab.  The floors have been removed and I have one scored and stained so far.  This house is one of those stacked tongue-and-groove walls pieces house, so there were some issues with loose joins/wiggly walls- I decided to 'sister' the lower section of the wall on the right side.  It worked well, but the upper section must be bowed a bit more or something, because I can't get the sister board to seat flat against the wall. humpf.  So I just tried to force some wood glue into the wobbly joins, attached a clamp and we'll hope for the best! 

The interior got a coat of primer, and I had to cut another wall section because there seemed to be one missing.  I made a larger opening in it, however - like more of a divider wall.  I will dress it up kinda like I did for the arches in the Ellwanger House and use it as the divider between the entrance hall (dining room?) and the living room.

More priming on the rest of the divider walls and one more floor to score, then it's time to start thinking about wallpapering!  Yay! 

• Like 1

Ordered the LED light and hope that it will arrive soon, as that will be one of the very necessary item to finish the kitchen in the lighthouse. In between I am painting trims and adding here and there. Must say that the trim around the floor of the open side is soooo neat, it really adds a certain zing to it. Now if we only could agree on a pot rack thingy...

Hugs

• Like 1

helloooooo...

the weekend always brings the man home...so all mini work goes on hold...but I did manage to get the floor in the Chantilly and I have to say...LOVE....

Catriona also loved the cork and played with my test piece by adding paint...we both agreed why use cork if you are just going to paint....and wants a room of cork herself....so Im thinking the music room will get cork....hope I have enough ribbon to do it with. she also loved her new doors...and the floor looks good to her...but I know it is not as it should be so I still have to give it a good sand and poly again.

today I am going to get the Chantilly's 2nd upper room textured....after I tape off the floor and stairwell otherwise I will have a mess in the rest of the house....and I dont want to have to put another floor down because I am soooooo messy while working... and while its drying I am going to tackle the miles of trim and roof pieces this kit has...hope my lil quart of white will do it....if not I will have to make a trip for more....

so the maid doll is super cute...but everytime I look at her this song pops into my head Truly Scrumptious....hahahhaha

Ordered the LED light and hope that it will arrive soon, as that will be one of the very necessary item to finish the kitchen in the lighthouse. In between I am painting trims and adding here and there. Must say that the trim around the floor of the open side is soooo neat, it really adds a certain zing to it. Now if we only could agree on a pot rack thingy...

Hugs

figured I could share a pic of my new light-soon-to-arrive... (Fingers crossed!) added a pic in my gallery, happy dance!

Hugs

• Like 1

I wasn't going to start another project right now but the little Michael's castle was just sitting there on my table so I started painting.  Before I knew it, I was doing windows and planning floors and rooms!  :)

• Like 4

Yesterday was "Fabric Flinging Day" which is one of my favorite kinds of days.  I put the Tennyson back into dry fit now that the window and door frames are all painted and installed, and then headed to the sewing room.  After laying out sheets of the wallpaper, I started sorting thru my textile stash and began flinging pieces of fabric out onto the floor beside them.  <chuckling>  That sounds kinda bizarre but it works.  Some pieces got tossed back into the stash and some made me go "oooohh" and "aaaaahhhh".  There were even a couple of "YES!!!!!" moments that included fist pumps and little happy dances with the cats.  Fabric flinging days always bring out the cats.  They can be sound asleep in the furthest regions of the house but their radar goes off the second I open the first drawer and pull out a fat quarter.  Needless to say, they were a great assistance.  I ended up sitting on the floor and following this sequence of steps:

1.  Place piece of wallpaper in center of floor where I have good light.

2.  Remove cat from wallpaper.

3.  Assess focal colors in the wallpaper and open drawer with coordinating fabrics.

4.  Remove cat from drawer.  

5.  Rescue wallpaper from the other cat.

6. Unfold fabric and gracefully toss it onto wallpaper to evaluate texture, colors, and pattern harmony.  

7.  Remove cat's claws from fabric.  

8.  Threaten cats with all 18 of their lives.  Watch cats laugh and laugh and laugh.  <sigh>

9.  Toss cat toy into hall as a possible distraction.  Watch cats give the toy a momentary glace of dismissal because what I'm doing is MUCH more fun than a silly catnip mousie.

10.  Catch cat #1, put in hall, and close door.  

11.  Try to find where cat #2 has hidden after he saw his brother being evicted.  Remove drawer and retrieve cat from space behind it. 

12.  Open door a crack to shove out cat #2  only to have cat #1 jump over his head and under my arm to regain access to the room.

13.  Admit defeat and tell the cats that they can stay in the sewing room and help me make the decisions.

14.  Watch both cats immediately lose all interest and wander off to take a nap. 

<chuckling>  Fortunately I already had a pretty good idea of which fabrics I wanted to use so it was just a matter of finding them (which is easier said than done but accomplished after four searches of every drawer and bin in my stash).  Today I'm going to wait til the boys are napping, then sneak into the sewing room and close the door quickly so I can go thru the drawers of lace and ribbon.  You know that would end badly if they were to offer their assistance.  As it is, I'll have to work quickly before they figure out how to take the door off its hinges!

• Like 8

while waiting for the property manager to come and evaluate the damage done to our porch by the lady who flew over our curb and into it last night I have piddled...I sanded and polyed Albie's entry way floor buffed it after it dryed and now waiting for it to dry again....want that thing to shine like glass....lol I dont know why but I do..

had to repaint the purple room of the Chantilly this morning because it wasnt dark enough for me and when I took out all my tapes I of course took bits off the wall...but Ive fixed it and all that is drying along with the last coat of poly on the cork floor. and while all that was drying I took out one of the 1/144th furniture kits...OMGEES lol...I am used to working with toothpicks and tweezers when building houses but furniture is a whole new ball game...had to use a pair of tweezers in each hand and before I move on to the other kits I am getting my jewelers magnifiers stand down and clean it off so I can better see the teeeeenie tiny bits...wont that be its own challenge?!!?  

the butterfly woodsies I found at the dollar Tree are going to make wonderful headboards and footboards for the Chantilly beds...went through my stash of scrapbook papers and found some cute stuff to decoupage on them along with gems and glitter...all in a baggie ready for the day I decide to get to it.

plan on spending some time this evening with white paint and  the roof and trim of the Chantilly...I am going to be sick of white when it is all over with...that house has MANY roof pieces and oooodles of trim!

• Like 1

Hey Deb, cat flinging or fabric flinging, either sounds like a great way to spend a day! ;)

Looking forward to seeing what magic you will create!

Hugs

• Like 2

Wow, Nutti, that must have been scary. Glad you all weren't hurt.

Good luck on your 2 houses plus that mini-mini-mini furniture. Don't know how ya'll do it.

I  can barely do 1/12th and yet I'm working on 2 1/24ths that are crazy hard for my big old arthritic farm hands. 

• Like 1

I spent most of the day working on my half scale (?) Michael's castle.  I am having a ball with this little project so far.   I took it all apart so I could get into the teen tiny rooms.   I am not sure if the scale is exactly half but I am going with it.  

I'm with you Selkie, my poor hands don't like this smaller scale but I doubt if I get too detailed with it.  Having a good time with it anyway.

• Like 1

I didn't get around to digging thru the lace today because I got distracted.  Okay, I'll be honest coz everyone who reads this is going to understand.  I spent the day playing with my dollhouse.  <grinning>  Technically I was staging the furniture so I could make sure the fabrics I selected would be in proper perspective and balance which I genuinely needed to do, but mostly I was just having a great time arranging and rearranging the furniture.  The Tennyson is accustomed to me doing this and she's okay with it even tho she's not even built yet.  I like that I can savor the pretty colors and nuances of every bit of this house no matter what phase of building she might be in.  So I played and it was good.  The past week has been a very stressful one in real life and today was the first day I've had to be alone and regroup so you all know why playing with a dollhouse made things better.  I updated my blog here on the forum with pictures and the details of what I've been up to if you wanna see pictures and stuff.   

• Like 4

I enjoyed reading your blog entry and seeing PICTURES in it, but I had to go to the blog button at the top of the page to get there when I clicked your link I got a nasty message that it wasn't there.  I really miss being able to hover the cursor over the username and accessing albums & blogs from the drop down box....

• Like 1

I enjoyed reading your blog entry and seeing PICTURES in it, but I had to go to the blog button at the top of the page to get there when I clicked your link I got a nasty message that it wasn't there.  I really miss being able to hover the cursor over the username and accessing albums & blogs from the drop down box....

It took me awhile to figure out how to embed pics in the blog again but it works.  Yay!  I redid the link in my signature and that's working now too.  I think there was a small shift in the url configuration for the blog after the upgrade so it just needed to be relinked.  

Not sure if I'm going to mini today or not.  It's one of those days where breathing and blinking may be all I accomplish.  Perhaps I'll get my sketch pad and start dreaming of designs for the Tennyson curtains.  The silk I'm working with is remarkably cooperative and thin enough to comply with just about anything I want to do so the urge for something frilly and complicated is strong.  I have a jumbo size can of "Nearer-my-God-to-Thee"  Aqua Net and I'm not afraid to use it!  hehehehehe  

• Like 2

Lawanda, your tearoom is very nice, I like your tatami, what did you use?

hank you for fixing your link, Deb!

Kelly, I really like your sunroom windows.  Will you be making shades or blinds for them?

Kelly, I really like your sunroom windows.  Will you be making shades or blinds for them?

Thank you, Holly. I was looking for tall, cheap windows and I found these at Earth and Tree. I think I only paid $5.50 a piece for them. I may put mullions in them, but if I make any shades, they'll just be balloon shades across the top. And of course, I'll be redoing the trim on them.

Edited by rodentraiser

well if you follow me on facebook(Im sorry)lol...you know that I have spent several days dedicated to painting never ending trim for the Chantilly...the wood hasnt been cooperating with my efforts....it happens...I always spray with Kilz spary and proceed with not much issues but not this time...so I finally broke down and got myself a can of kilz to paint on....at this time all of my roof pieces and fancy trim are strewn about every surface with kilz drying...even those pieces that already had 3 or 5 coats of interior paint on them....it WILL comply and it WILL be white...lol...

I have made a couple of orders for Albie(MHM) to try out different things...to see what I liked and what I didnt...so far I do not care for any of the items(wainscoting and crown molding) I purchased...not that they are not perfectly fine...but for me I dont like this or that...so I put in an order for those mod podge molds and going to make my own fancy wainscoting....I am trying to move beyond my usual made for a kid to play with work and make my daughters house more of a ...oooooo aaaaaa house that so many of you do here...unfortunately I havent grown my skills by doing the same things all these yrs...but I am expanding out and I know I can do it....I also ordered a mold for a Cameo...she has always loved them and I am going to include a few on and in the house.... any advice with the mod podge molds would be much appreciated.

next on my list to do

is the front door of the Chantilly and then I can install the trim I have been endlessly painting and build the fireplace for Albie...

sometimes coming here and writing here will motivate me to keep on keepin it on...

Have a great weekend!

• Like 1

Finally, I have something to show from the half scale cottage I've been working on - well, maybe trying to work on would be more correct. The front of the door is finished, and so is a window from the side wall. The door will be glued into place after I finish the 2 windows on the front of the house. Originally I planned on making it a working door, but after 2 attempts to get the holes drilled in just the right spot for the pins, I decided it was just too aggravating. There just isn't any room for error, the door is less than 1/8" thick.

door and window.jpg

• Like 2

Well....... I'm finishing another room box and while waiting for the stain to dry I was browsing ebay. I wasn't really looking to buy (see me lying to myself) but I decided to look for auctions that run out very soon to see if there is anything interesting..... and there was. A Dura-Craft dollhouse with less than 1 minute to go and only one bid on it. I looked at the listings in gallery view which makes the photos large enough that all I could see was "Mansion in Minutes!!" - I was laughing so hard that I missed bidding on that auction.....

'Mansion in Minutes' - that's a new one........... hahahahaha

• Like 4

...'Mansion in Minutes' - that's a new one........... hahahahaha

That's a new one on me, too.  The Dura-Craft kits I've built had "Mansions in Miniature" on the boxes.  I wonder if they changed it when they went with the MDF?