What's everyone working on?

I came up with this solution to hold wallpaper in place while drying. Probably not very original, but I thought it was pretty cool. Scraps of wood and 3/4" ceramic magnets on both sides. Also, I think next time I will wallpaper and paint BEFORE I install the windows! Duhhh!!

• Like 4

Thank you so much for the lovley compliments, makes me :blush: and I think I gained a hat size ;)

Art, that is a neat thinking out of the box idea!

Deb, I love how the window parts work together and looking forward to see the pieces go together as well with the gorgeous colour scheme you have choosen. Eye candy to come, ie when the body allows it!!! Plotting and planning in between resting is what needs to be done, the tuxedo boys will have to help out there, right?!?

Hugs

• Like 1

This morning I have been aging terracotta pots for the stairs along the lighthouse and after lunch I will probably be able to paint the clay areas done earlier his week. Crossing dingers as that also means I wil install the ceiling light in there as well...

Hugs

Deb, I'm a huge admirer of your color palettes; how you apply them is irrelevant..  Art, that is such a pretty paper.  I don't usually paint of paper until the house is built, and then I apply the windows and doors last.

With therisk of boring you all I have added a few more pics from the lighthouse cellar, now almost sone for sure, still need to paint touch ups but basically done, a few more wooden boxes could be used as well on the floor under the bottom shelf, a little mouse Perhaps etc etc.

i have also installed the ceiling light in the bathroom, lovley warm glow from that and apart from the ceiling trim that room too is "done" still need to attach the towel rack next to the wash basin(?) and the mirror

Had some fun thunking up how to make a handle for the flushing thingy as I didn't want to use the over head water tank, so with a little bit of this, add a little bit of that, tweaking it and there it is...

Awaiting the ceiling light for the bedroom prior to finish that too. Will fiddle with the roof and add the last (I hope) coat of copper paint and then it will be landscaping left to pull together prior to it being completed. It has been an ongoing project since 2011 and it has been a wonderful journey all the way through!

Hugs

Naturaly a mouse, and a cat as well?

Oh yes, kitty cats are hanging around the place (and a minion or two...) there is also a white parrot and for the garden I have hens and chickens as well as a Mr Mole and a couple of bunnies so lots of animals so to speak

Hugs

Glue, spackle, sand, prime. Repeat. Working on the porch components for the Orchid. I started to work on the octagon window frames and just had to stop. I need to tackle those when I have a better attitude. Bit by bit I'm making progress.

I'm jealous of all of the Tennyson builders! It's my latest crush. I like the older Artply/Whitney version, but the laser cut Greenleaf sounds appealing, too. One of each? LOL!  

• Like 1

In earlier posts on this thread we were talking about laying wooden floors. I've changed my mind again on how I want to approach this. Instead of mounting to paper first, I've decided to mount the slats straight to the floor. Here are some pics of my set-up:

In earlier posts on this thread we were talking about laying wooden floors. I've changed my mind again on how I want to approach this. Instead of mounting to paper first, I've decided to mount the slats straight to the floor. Here are some pics of my set-up:

That's looking great Art!  I do all the wallpaper, floors, windows, doors, etc before I assemble the house too so once I reach the point of actually putting up the walls, all that's left to do is add in the baseboards, moulding and trim.  Everyone has their own style of building but this way works best for me.  It looks as if it's working out well for you too!  What shade of stain are you going to use on the floor?

Anna, I'm awe-struck!  There's so much detailing in your lighthouse and so many things to see that I feel as if I'll spend the next few months pouring over each picture.  It's breathtaking!

So the Tennyson is about half primed now and I had to force myself to stop.  I found a quart of "rejected" premixed latex at walmart last night for half price and it's the perfect shade I want to use for primer and well, it's paint and I simply can't resist paint.  I went in to pet the Tennyson and the next thing I knew I was petting it with a paintbrush.  LOL!  I was just going to do the roof pieces, and then the third floor seemed like it would only take a minute, and as long as I was that far along I did the second floor and then Bruce came in and reminded me that there will be a tomorrow.  

• Like 2

spent a lovely 2 days with my daughter who LOVES the new color....she asked me WHY? did I want it gray and burgundy? I said cuz you were 14 and everything was dark and dreary...she laughed...told me she was glad I hated the house and dint finish it and now I can do what I want....lol....

today was spackle time in the entry way and while I was at it I filled in all the cracks between wall panels...

there will be no trim around the doors...that could change....

working on a wainscoting that isnt plain....going simple and easy doesn't have to be plain and boring...

I took the support wall that has wallpaper out...tried to strip said wall paper and find myself in total awe of those who do that while rehabbing older homes...

my solution...cut a new wall out of scrap left from the addition we built....lol....that paper isnt coming off and Im too impatient to keep messing with it...

the staircase wall is getting paper but again what I want...lol....the other side of that wall is the living room and I have some thoughts but want to get the fireplace built and available for lookie loo before I decide...

hmmmmm guess I can do that now....I have been on miniatures.com a few times but still cannot decide on porch post....would it be weird to purchase cake pillers? and can these be painted...trying to bring the yellow down to the first floor....the porch would be the easiest way to do that.

Deb...I wont tell you what you already know...ya got Bruce for that... :nono:

Anna... :popcorn:

Art...ingenious :idea:

new gallery photos always makes me smile and inspires me to get off mah behind and get er done :construction:

• Like 1

Cake pillars for porch posts, you can add pieces of other pillars to them for fit, use E6000 or a super glue gel to stick them together, and give them a light spritz of aerosol primer nd pint them any color your heart (and the house) desires.

• Like 1

That's looking great Art!  I do all the wallpaper, floors, windows, doors, etc before I assemble the house too so once I reach the point of actually putting up the walls, all that's left to do is add in the baseboards, moulding and trim.  Everyone has their own style of building but this way works best for me.  It looks as if it's working out well for you too!  What shade of stain are you going to use on the floor?

Anna, I'm awe-struck!  There's so much detailing in your lighthouse and so many things to see that I feel as if I'll spend the next few months pouring over each picture.  It's breathtaking!

So the Tennyson is about half primed now and I had to force myself to stop.  I found a quart of "rejected" premixed latex at walmart last night for half price and it's the perfect shade I want to use for primer and well, it's paint and I simply can't resist paint.  I went in to pet the Tennyson and the next thing I knew I was petting it with a paintbrush.  LOL!  I was just going to do the roof pieces, and then the third floor seemed like it would only take a minute, and as long as I was that far along I did the second floor and then Bruce came in and reminded me that there will be a tomorrow.  

Hi Deb

I have some Minwax red mahogany left from a "real Life" project. Will probably seal in with clear gloss urethane. 

Holly, what are cake pillars?

Well, this weekend I took a gander to the other side of the house and set up the windows. I had to recut the top and bottom walls to fit these windows. I've decided to take them home and take off all the trim except the sills and retrim with fancier trim.

post-2875-0-22455500-1438033419_thumb.jp

post-2875-0-52155100-1438033425_thumb.jp

I'm actually going to make a back for the sunroom, since it has plenty of windows and can be seen from the living room. I have two more windows, but I decided to put one more window and a double French door in the back. I'll set back the French door, so there is a little stoop in front of it. That gets done next week when I have more wood to work with.

Oh, I finally finished the wall for my pantry:

This is the closet door I'm using in it:

post-2875-0-25605600-1438033432_thumb.jp

But this is how it will probably be all the time so you can look in and see the goodies - that wide open space in back is the double window in the pantry. I know most pantries don't have windows, but since it's an enclosed room, I wanted as much viewing options as I can get.

post-2875-0-99057900-1438033439_thumb.jp

By the way, I love what everyone is doing here. You guys are my inspiration. I just hope I can do as good a job in finally finishing this house. In fact, it will probably only be the third house I've really finished. All the rest of them were gone by the time they got completed or primed.

I have been fooling around making printie food boxes for the kitchen cupboard.  I get all involved and worry about how each box will look, where its placed etc.   After I glued the cabinet up I looked and I could barely see any of the food boxes!   Oh well, I know they are there and that I worked on them for 2 hours! 

I had to remake the chimney because I decided the "real" rocks didn't look good.  That's about it for today. 

cake pillars are used with cake stands to display 2 and 3 tier cakes

they are plastic and can look like grecian or roman columns for porch post 

they can also be cut to size....

you can find basic pillars at most retail stores that carry cake supplies such as Wal-mart

Hobby Lobby and Micheals also carry's them....but I would do an internet search for fancier ones

perhaps Amazon....I saw some on Holly's link Ive never seen before that would be perfect for Albie's porch

because I am waiting for all the wainscoting to be delivered I have gone no further on my own...didnt want to instal it to find what I get is BETTER which would make me tear out my hair and the work Ive done...lol....

also want to add that the color I mixed in fact is almost the same color as outside so the entrance way matches...lol....

I found some gorgeous squared filigree columns in a grab bag at a thrift store in Charleston, SC.  The Grecian style ones come in various heights in the cake section at the big box craft stores.  When I Googled images of cake columns I also saw some styles I've never seen in any of the usual places.  Many, many years ago I found wee plastic birdbaths perfect for 1:12 scale in the wedding section at Wally World, but not in the past 18 or so years; wish I'd stocked up when I had the chance.

I masked off my base board where the farmhouse will go and found the two-part rabbit hutch how-to I'd saved; I do go back through all the articles I clipped and magazines I saved to make projects as I need them.  I wish I'd had one for a hen coop; I foresee more Googling for images...

Cake columns sounds like a great idea!

Over here I am doing the hapoy dance as my LED lamp arrived and it is just as pretty as I had hoped it to be. It will suit the room soooo nice! :clap: happy dance with a twirl!

Hugs

• Like 2