What's everyone working on?

Jo- they ARE wonderful!  :D

And thanks, Anna, for the suggestion....I will have to consider shades.  :)

For now I simply gave the dressing table its first coat of varnish and painted the little drawer knobs a happy pear green!  Love it!

• Like 1

child catcher!!! yes awesome! cant wait to meet him...one of my fav characters from that movie!

spent sometime with the Chantilly and my new modpodge mold...which I am loving...I also got the sticks but they do not fit in my high temp glue gun...so Im thinking I will get the one made for it... but in the meantime I used my hot glue and got some very good results...one of the molds is going to be used alot in Albie as part of the wainscoting but my practice ones are going to be used on the Chantilly and oooooo what a few doodads do to change the whole feel of a house....the other thing I did was take a piece of the green plaid furniture and paint the bottom with some navy blue craft paint....and although you can barely see the lines....I like it and unless the burgundy paint I try next looks better Im painting all of it Blue....I have some lighter blue fabric to make pillows....but we shall see the furniture is all in the experiment stage....if it doesnt work out than toss...cuz thats where it was headed when it was given to me. and no Im not interested in reupholstering it...it is tailored and if it wasnt an ugly green plaid from the 70's I would just use it as is...very well made stuff just UGLY!  I may even sponge paint it...who knows with me... I hate to say it but me thinks I am ready for the roof and windows....started trimming out rooms last night....and talked to my brother and he was like you are sending WHAT!?! :giggle: I said I am sending your girls a Dollhouse so deal with it and make room....lol...still havent figured out the how but its happening babah!...:cucumber:

Id be working right now if the beebs hadnt taken off this morning having me chase him happily(him) through our neighborhood...all the usual suspects are in pain...so I took something and have my feet up for now...lil bugger...it is very good thing his antics keeps me laughing usually....:ninja:

I finally started working on the interior of the farmhouse!  the exterior painting is done, and I have to wait on more porch posts (grrr. thought I bought the correct amount!) before I finish out the porch....well, I wanna wait until the windows are in anyways.  It's easier to do the windows when I don't have to reach around the porch railings.

I had my cabinet-installer hubby take a look at the wonky walls...and as I suspected, there is nothing to be done about them (unless I want to totally dismantle the house!). Therefore, I forged ahead and marked out the floor placement and put up the wallpaper liner on the 1st floor.  Since the walls ARE wonky, the liner will cover all of the little in discrepancies that come with the tongue n groove walls.  For a moment I thought about just painting....but finally opted for some wallpaper for the living room.  Painted the trim and cleaned up my poor paint job on the living room windows.  Now to decide upon the kitchen walls....

• Like 1

Jacki, does spackling help cover the tongue&groove lines at all?

It may have, but my Fibro was flaring up in my hands and shoulders and all of that spackling would just have made it worse....so I took the easy way out!  LOL   I only did the first floor, so if the FM calms down I may try to see if it would be a possibility for the second floor.

In the meantime, the first floor wallpapering is done.  Now to consider floor options.....

• Like 1

Well I am actually doing something lol. laying shingles on templates (got the idea from MoreMinis blog http://moreminis.blogspot.com/2009/03/garfield-day-24.html#.Vdl6EJfTn3U  thanks! )  I am almost done with the main roof, but then the porch and the gazebo have to be done. I had glued one done section on the house the decided to do all the sections, paint them then attach to roof,

I use to handle monotonous jobs so much better but seems I am changing..my mind flips here and there, wanting to start another house, work on my train layout, learn how to work with metal.oh if only I had another lifetime! or two! Ha I haven't said I was bored since I was a teen lol

I was just giddy getting ready to put the last coat of paint on all of the window pieces for the Orchid. I did a dry fit of the bay window, and sure enough, none of the pieces fit! Lots of sanding and trimming (and swearing) to do, then repaint it. Bah! All of the other bits are done, though, so I can start the glass and assembly for those. Why didn't I dry fit that when I started?! This is my first from-scratch build, so I seem to be learning and doing everything the hard and slow way. It's good practice, though.

Thinking about getting the ready-made wood flooring sheets for the next build. I did individual planks for this build, and while I'm really happy with the results (and cost) it took forever. The thought of just staining, gluing, and a few coats of varnish make me happy. 

Jo, the dolls (and the house) are really wonderful! I don't usually care for dollhouse dolls...something about their character is usually lost in that scale, but those are really charming!      

Was looking at something else and found some lovely real life Victorian eye candy. Follow the link and enjoy! http://www.housebeautiful.com/design-inspiration/real-estate/a4196/whimsical-victorian-homes-for-sale/ Hard to pick a favorite...

Should have been working on a doll and spent a good hour looking at houses. 

Today I refit the roof on the attic, and finally put the front wall of the master bathroom on. Then I committed sacrilege. I took the half bath out of the laundry room so I could move the wall over between the mudroom and the laundry room. I call it sacrilege because the half bath being there is the main reason the laundry room, and by extension the mudroom, exists at all. And to top it off, it was the one piece of wood that Lisa painstakingly filled, sanded, and painted. The guilt in me knows no bounds right now.

However. The mudroom is now about 5" wide, wide enough to put a bench in there. And without the bathroom, the laundry room is still nice and wide. It may not flow like it did before, because I have the washer and the washtubs on one side of the room and the dryer on the other, but it seems more spacious.

What still needs to be done:

The living room wall needs to be put in.

The gable still needs to be finished. I know, I know, but I can't make up my mind what I want there. Originally, I had a large gable there, then I put a tower in. Now I'm thinking of enlarging the tower, but I'm afraid it will over-dominate the roof and the house.

I need to build an under-the-stairs half bath in the entry.

And I need to put the porch back on. THAT is going to be a big deal. The reason is because the porch slants back at a straight angle past the front steps and I'm thinking of cutting some wood that will make it curve, ala the Duracraft Farmhouse with its curved porch. Am I even capable of doing that? Who knows?

I also have to make a decision on the window seat. I'm thinking of taking it out, but i haven't decided for sure yet.

And the gods save me, but I'm thinking of building a tiny, one room basement for the house. So I can have a place to put the water heater and the furnace and the fusebox. And whatever else goes in a basement. I think I'll use the pull down attic stairs for stairs to the cellar and put them in the pantry. How I'm going to do this, I have no idea. But maybe I can fit a cold storage room down in the cellar, too. So that's where the potatoes and apples and carrots can go. Hmmm......

• Like 1

Doing a happy, happy, happy new book on its way dance..... :cucumber:

Ordered the mini wicker book by Sheila Smith (mentioned in the thread about book reviews) and I am intending to bring it along with me on our two week holidays along with needed materials.

hugs

• Like 1

It was a Murphy's Law of Miniatures kind of day yesterday!  ugh.  Worked for an hour or so on the farmhouse trying to paint a checkerboard kitchen floor....until I was ready for the next color and the painter's tape ripped off the top layer of the (cheap) fiberboard! gah! The liquid of the paint softened the fiberboard and the surface was lifting and tearing off in several spots :doh: :cry:...so I ditched that idea and went for Plan B: painted wood flooring sheet. That is working out much better.  Except while mixing the paint washes in my little tray, I somehow knocked it off the counter . . . and onto my lap. Upside down. :dunce:   At one point Max thought he'd better see if I need help.  But my counter was full and with no where to lay down, he moved on to his perch at the window sill.

I also got into a struggle with the 2nd floor dry fit....or NOT fitting as the case seemed to be.  On the verge of flinging it out the window past Mr. Max, I thought it best to reconsider and instead, took it to my bandsaw and shaved off a smidge here and there.  Ok, that is better.  

At this point I called it a day, and will re-visit the living room flooring dilemma tomorrow.

• Like 1

Well, I can almost use the F word on the Appleby Cottage.  F meaning Finished!

I have been working on so many of the finishing details while at my job - the curtains, the micro house to go in it, etc - and now coming down to the wire. I have today off, then start another County Fair tomorrow which runs through Sunday. But I had to tell my boss I couldn't work Sunday because that's the day I TAKE THE COTTAGE TO THE STATE FAIR!

Today I have to get my hair cut, do the laundry - and finish the last details.  Everything has to be secured in place, things I wouldn't normally glue down, so that takes a little more time.  I'll update my album when things slow down. I don't expect to win any prizes at the fair, because it is so far out of scale, but it's fun to get it out there anyway. I hope M'Lady would be happy with it, after sitting in storage and collecting dust for so long her little treasure is finally up and running again. 

Washingtonians - I will be at the Kitsap County Fair in the Bath Fitter booth - stop by and say "Hi"  :) 

• Like 3