What's everyone working on?

I thought of the yellow Holly, I just don't have a nice yellow on hand at the moment. I also like a periwinkle blue shade so I might go with that. I am sure I can use several accent colors because the Victorian houses look great with several shades. I don't know when I will get to a craft store so the challenge will be to use whatever paints I have in my stash. :)

Successful in cutting the dormer hole in the roof of the Ranch house, and no blood. It's a good day when I don't cut myself. Tomorrow I hope to get the main parts all glued together instead of just blue tape.

Congratulations on a bloodfree day!

• Like 1

Well, I am now convinced that I totally suck at soldering! LOL I did, however, manage to have success in getting my first two light fixtures installed and working (after a half hour of frustration looking for, finding, and fixing 3 of the old connections that had corroded). While I posted a pic of the working lights, I will NOT post a pic of my soldering result! LOL I def need more practice!

So now while I wait for warmer temps to do more staining and varnishing of flooring....I will continue to work on papering and painting trims and interior doors. I would REALLY like to have the interior finished by the end of January or first week of Feb!!

I made my first modification on my kit this weekend -- took out the windows on the side of my North Park over the balcony and replaced them with french doors,

Yay!!! How awesome! It's a great feeling when you start to bash and realize how much you can do with a piece of wood and your creative self. Go Emily!!!!!

Carmen, that's definitely not the same Lafayette at all! LOL! What a beautiful mansion and I love the colors and patterns inside. It moves the eye in a lovely way to take it all in. Gorgeous work!

While I posted a pic of the working lights, I will NOT post a pic of my soldering result! LOL I def need more practice!

<chuckling> As far as I'm concerned, if no one ever sees it but you, then it's perfect in every way! I'm horrible with a soldering iron altho I like playing with them. Mostly what I make is a cool mess of shapes and blobs which isn't really the point of soldering and now with muscle spasms in my hands, it's probably best that I don't play with the hot, pointy tool anymore.

Now that all my real life chores are done, I can get back to the studio today. Wooooooohoooooo! We had a few days of rain and my mobility was limited anyway but the skies are clear blue today and my to-do list is ta-done! I'll be starting on the landscaping today and if all goes well, the Love Shack will be done by next week for sure. I'm reaching that point where I can't wait to see how it comes out.

• Like 3

It snowed all day so I spent a good part of the afternoon sorting pieces and sanding....ahhhhhhhh the smell of sawdust! :D

I decided to try and bash the second floor of the Storybook Cottage here after known as Viola's School. I think Viola intends to live upstairs and teach her music students downstairs. I haven't done a lot of modifying so it will be a challenge to see if I can get the new floor done right.

• Like 1

Today I would like to get my floors stained in what has become Cortneys House shes 12 and has picked out all the colors and furnishings for it she even has choosen a little old woman to live in the house. I offered Cortney to finish building it but she is more excited about furnishing it then actually help build it but she is defentily intersted in dollhouses :D so who knows she might pick one out to build on her own.

• Like 1

I got back to working on an old project last week while DH was in the hospital. BTW, he was recovering so well from surgery that they released him after just 3 days instead of the usual 5 or 6.

I can't believe it's been 3 years since I started this room box. It's been sitting in one place or another in my dining room waiting for me to finish it off.

Now that I've taken a picture of it, i feel it needs a few more odds and ends, mainly for the shelf, but I don't have anything on hand that I think is just right. Well, I might have something else in my studio over the garage but it's been 20 something degrees or less up there everyday and my fingers start turning to ice with just a few minutes of poking through trays of my minis stash.

Last August I gathered assorted miniature stuff from the dining room and basement and toted them back to the studio, but I had hardly used them before it got too cold to stay up there. During the past week I've been dragging things back down into the house. I figured if I got this room finished I might be able to get into the groove again.

sm_zpsf4200d06.jpg

• Like 1

I got back to working on an old project last week while DH was in the hospital. BTW, he was recovering so well from surgery that they released him after just 3 days instead of the usual 5 or 6.

I can't believe it's been 3 years since I started this room box. It's been sitting in one place or another in my dining room waiting for me to finish it off.

Now that I've taken a picture of it, i feel it needs a few more odds and ends, mainly for the shelf, but I don't have anything on hand that I think is just right. Well, I might have something else in my studio over the garage but it's been 20 something degrees or less up there everyday and my fingers start turning to ice with just a few minutes of poking through trays of my minis stash.

Last August I gathered assorted miniature stuff from the dining room and basement and toted them back to the studio, but I had hardly used them before it got too cold to stay up there. During the past week I've been dragging things back down into the house. I figured if I got this room finished I might be able to get into the groove again.

sm_zpsf4200d06.jpg

I Think it needs a fire. Maybe some accents of color on the walls. Just a few thoughts that jumped in my head while looking at it.Also some flowers in the basket.

Edited by LK77

Grazhina, that's awesome news about your DH getting to go home early! I'm doing a little happy dance for you guys! I love that roombox too. Perhaps some wee plants on the window sill for accent pieces? I'm probably thinking that because I used to use the laundry room window sill to park little jars of cuttings that were taking root. It would be a nice little pop of green in the room.

Obviously my mind is on greenery and I'm heading back to the studio to do some more landscaping on the Shaque D'amour. I need to take along the laptop so I can play the video and get all the details right. I think I've worn out the pause function in You Tube stopping and starting that video so much! But yesterday I got the hard part done and the house is mounted to the base and the noch grass that makes the first layer in the landscaping is glued on. Today the fun part will be digging thru my landscaping stash to find flowers and greenery that are just right. I know that's going to make me want to work on the "back porch" vignette that's been hovering in the back of my mind so who knows, I might end up pulling things for it at the same time. I get distracted so easily...............<chasing off after a dust mote and forgetting to click "post">

One of my houses is going to a new home. You may remember the Victorian Farmhouse my cousin found for me.

I haven't done anything with it yet, except to take off the shingles that came with it, and let my granddaughter play with it when she was here. My cousin now has her own house (previously in an apartment) and is often caring for a young boy who is mentally challenged. His mother likes to park him in the back bedroom with a video game and my cousin would like to see him get away from the electronics and use his hands and head for something else. The plan is to convert the dollhouse into a fire station and get the boy involved in remodeling it and playing with it. So it will be getting a lot more attention than I was giving it - and I'm sure it will be a happy fire house :drive:

• Like 4

Deb, I'm not sure how to get the little reference boxes inserted so I hope you see this, if its ok to ask-what you tube video are you referencing in your current landscaping?

I'm sure there is certain protocol with these forums so everyone steer me in the right direction if I misstep.

I thought i finished a post here last night but dont see it so it may eventually show up again and I will look like a dummy. Ah wont be the first or last time.

im working on staging the next steps to my little primrose bash. The hardest part about learning to build thus far is not the actual build but the order of doing things. My first build this summer I didnt know to paint the window trims and alcove before assembly. Oh that was a painful discovery. Now im probably being too OCD in trying to avoid a hiccup. Also now that the shell is glued its real, no going back decision time on colors. Im at the point of painting and installing exterior window trim, getting a little porch/stoop added from foam board, and tapewire installed (successfully, fingers crossed) I plan on making a trip to Lowes or HD today to get a cut piece of board to go under the house for the Bobbi to have ready for some light landscaping as im learning. Im beginning to understand why folks have more than one build going at a time, and that is not in my nature, but the time things have to sit in place for the hurry up and wait glue and paint drying could be spent doing something else. I'm slow at this and have lots of time to make up:-))

Selkie, thanks for the heads up on the album. I wondered how the posts were counted. I will be trying to figure out the album making. Ive tried viewing some of them in the past and it seems awkward getting back and forth between pages once you click into the pictures.

In case anyone is wondering ive had insomnia for this past week which is why im on here at 3am and have to leave the house for work at 730am. Im exhausted..its these antiobiotics and predisone talking.

Sue, if you're on antibiotic therapy be sure you're eating yogurt with meals. Because I can't work on more than one build at a time (I'm much too messy) I spend the time that glue and paint are drying making furniture, people and accessories.

• Like 1

I guess I'm still not done modifying windows. I was thinking about room layouts yesterday and suddenly realized that all the windows in the first two levels of this house are really tall, and start 2 inches (i.e. 2 feet at RL scale) off the ground. This means just about anything I put under/against the window will partially block it. I don't really mind this for sofas and headboards and such, but what about the kitchen? My kitchen has a porch door and window on the left, a window at the back (ie at the front of the house) and a doorway on the right, majorly limiting cabinet space for the contemporary kitchen I want to put in. Plus, my mother has always said she believes everyone should be able to see out a window when at the sink washing dishes, and I was going to follow her rule and put the sink right under the window. The idea of kitchen counters and cabinets coming in partly up the window was just not working for me!

The window I'm revising is on the ground floor front of the house over the porch. I looks like Victoria's farm house by RGT actually has a higher/shorter window in that exact place so the aesthetic makes sense.

I looked up a couple doll house stoves and saw they tend to come in around 3-3.25 inches high, so I used that as a benchmark and decided to move my wiindow up by 1.5 inches so it sat at 3.5. I had some exta scraps of wall left over from turning two other windows in to French doors, so I was able to cut and sand a piece down to fit. Then I just went at a standard houseworks window with my mini saw and some glue to cut it down to size.

Now I just need to hide the evidence! I'm thinking some wood filler (anyone have a recommended product?) and then a window box to mask at least the upper part of the patch. I'm hoping after filling, sanding and repainting the join won't be too obvious, and that the porch railings will kind of hide it a bit too...

Edited by denkyem

...Now I just need to hide the evidence! I'm thinking some wood filler (anyone have a recommended product?) and then a window box to mask at least the upper part of the patch. I'm hoping after filling, sanding and repairing the join won't be too obvious, and that the porch railings will kind of hide it a bit too...

Scrapwood or craft stick cut to fit, hide it under trim or cover it with spackle and wallpaper/ paint inside and siding or whatever exterior treatment outside and no one will ever know.

Today I will be spending my time working on Cortneys little house. After i get my dinner cooking which iam waiting for the icebox of a car i have to warm up to go to the grocery store.

Edited by LK77

Plus, my mother has always said she believes everyone should be able to see out a window when at the sink washing dishes, and I was going to follow her rule and put the sink right under the window. The idea of kitchen counters and cabinets coming in partly up the window was just not working for me!

Your mother is a woman after my own heart. I simply can't stand to do dishes at a sink with no window either. It doesn't seem natural to me. :noway: All of my dollhouse kitchens have sinks under the windows too.

Deb, I'm not sure how to get the little reference boxes inserted so I hope you see this, if its ok to ask-what you tube video are you referencing in your current landscaping?

<grinning> This is going to sound kind of odd, but I've been working on a recreation of the Love Shack from the '80s video by the B-52s. The weird thing is that I never especially liked the song or the video, but the kit will be what the kit will be and I've had a LOT of fun reproducing it. The colors are all bright and cheerful and it's lighthearted and whimsical. It was definitely a step outside of my comfort zone but I think it's going to be one of my favorite builds just because it's so happy.

You're doing just fine on the forum Sue. It takes a bit to learn how to navigate around a new place on the web and you're doing great! If you'd like to use the quote box (blue box above) in your posts to reference something that someone has said, simply click on the light blue button for "quote" in the lower right corner of the post you want to reply to and it'll put that person's post in the little blue box in your reply so you can just start typing underneath it. Or you can do what you just did and type the person's name in your comment and we'll know who you're talking to. Whichever way makes you most comfortable is fine with us.

My fingers were too fumbly yesterday to do much and after dropping the glue gun twice, I just sat back to listen to some tunes and soak up the good vibes in the studio. Even if I'm not doing anything, it's still awesome to be surrounded by paint and glue and wood. Ah, the smell of sawdust.......it exhilarates me! If my fingers don't cooperate today I'll go for Plan B which is to find my light box and take pics of the 1:144 houses that Lynette and Tracy made for me this fall. Either way it's minis and that makes me happy. :kicking:

• Like 1

I tried a new (to me) recipe today, from the Cajun cookbook I found in an Orange Beach bookstore's going out of business sale. t's a ginger cake; I added raisins to the batter because DH & I are suckers for spice cakes with raisins. It's raw & raining outside so a very good day to curl up and cook, and stitch (Id rather be in the workshop, half the night last night I was dreaming how I'm going to finish Washington's attic!)

Scrapwood or craft stick cut to fit, hide it under trim or cover it with spackle and wallpaper/ paint inside and siding or whatever exterior treatment outside and no one will ever know.

hmm, where i'm a bit stuck is that my house has milled-in exterior trim. here's what I'm dealing with: