What's everyone working on?

I think Deb is happy!

<goofy grin> I'm so happy my toes won't stop wiggling. LOL! The actual work on this house was about a month total, but I started it three years ago and haven't built anything in between so it's a major accomplishment to have finished.....and to be ready to start a new house right away.

Pictures, Deb, Pictures! Please!

We want to share in your excitement, please.

Pictures are the first thing on my list this morning! I'm waiting for the sun to come up to see if I'll have enough natural light in the studio. If it's cloudy I'll have Bruce haul up the big lights from the garage for me before he goes to work.

<chuckling> I really do have some of the components of the next house on the work table already. <doing a little happy dance> Sooooooooooooooo looking forward to doing a full fledged steampunk house!

I stopped shingling the Pool House, for sanity reasons. I'll go back to it later. Meanwhile, I made the wood floor, stained and sealed it. The Cabana bath tile has been cut and grouted. I also, attached all the tapewire. It was a very productive weekend. Today, I will create a thicker wall by the door because the door frame is thicker than the wall. Foolish me forgot to check this before I glued it on, otherwise I would have made it thinner with the tablesaw. I also need to go to Micheals to get more wallpaper. In about five minutes the tail piece of the Nor'Easter is going to hit my house in south Folrida. Opps here it comes now.

Well Sable, at least you are in Florida and will only get rain! Those poor New Englanders! We got luck here in SE Pennsylvania- only 3-5 expected in my county.

Since I am still nursing a bad back, I didn't get tons done in the last two weekends (which really annoys me!), but I did make some progress in papering the Ellwanger House living room, and got the last of the crown moldings and interior doors painted (something easy to do while lying on my back).

No Spring home décor here.... *glancing out the window at the falling snow* Our front door will remain bare until such time as the temps get back to at least the 50's! ;)

Well Sable, at least you are in Florida and will only get rain! Those poor New Englanders! We got luck here in SE Pennsylvania- only 3-5 expected in my county.

Since I am still nursing a bad back, I didn't get tons done in the last two weekends (which really annoys me!), but I did make some progress in papering the Ellwanger House living room, and got the last of the crown moldings and interior doors painted (something easy to do while lying on my back).

No Spring home décor here.... *glancing out the window at the falling snow* Our front door will remain bare until such time as the temps get back to at least the 50's! ;)

Just one of the many things I love about this forum, Jackie. The BROAD range of locations; makes it so interesting.

• Like 1

I worked all morning on graphics to print wallpaper. I am waiting for the Modge Podge sealant to dry. I papered the first floor and working on touching up trim pieces.

Sometimes I think I paint with my eyes closed! :)

I'm staging the Beacon Hill so I can plan the electrical runs. I haven't worked on this house in almost two years, so I've totally lost the momentum and flow of the build. I'm hoping the up close and personal experience of staging will help me get going again.

• Like 1

I am working on asking enough questions so that I'm prepared to finish my next step in the build, which is the exterior and interior wall finishes. I know I'm probably overthinking it, but I want this little house to last awhile and not walk in one day and see it lying in a heap from the wrong glue, or wallpaper stained from the wood seepage, or fading paint from the light.

• Like 1

I am working on asking enough questions so that I'm prepared to finish my next step in the build, which is the exterior and interior wall finishes. I know I'm probably overthinking it, but I want this little house to last awhile and not walk in one day and see it lying in a heap from the wrong glue, or wallpaper stained from the wood seepage, or fading paint from the light.

Sue, like you, I like to gather a lot of information before I jump into something new. Short of using hot glue for construction, you won't find it lying in a heap. And as for staining or fading, that will happen so slowly that you won't notice until the day that you decide to redecorate. :D

I've been staging the Beacon Hill and finding that I don't have stuff I thought I did. Maybe it's in Missouri? Dunno. I'm going to take photos of each room and make notes to carry North so I won't have to rely on memory. I have a Realife Miniatures dining room set and a Chyrsnbom vintage bathroom set to build. I may work on those, as for some reason I just can't get back into building the house.

• Like 2

Roxy, do the convenience stores around you have the cardboard trays to carry more then one coffee cup in? I think someone on here has been using the same type tray from a movie theater as well. I also think they have said that these carriers are a heavier cardboard material as well.

Roxy, do the convenience stores around you have the cardboard trays to carry more then one coffee cup in? I think someone on here has been using the same type tray from a movie theater as well. I also think they have said that these carriers are a heavier cardboard material as well.

:roflmao:

Girls, girls..........what convenience stores???? Movie theater???? You forget, I live out in the middle of no where....off the map!!! I saved some packing material from my piano and it has wonderful texture but alas its a little too thick for me to cut. I will check out Casey's blog, thanks so much! ;)

Edited: Sorry I didn't mean to laugh after you tried to help me out....I have inhaled way too much Modge Podge and glue today my brain is gone funny. Anyway, I will try at the market maybe they have something to toss my way. :)

• Like 2

No relatives that I know to be sending egg cartons cross country but I am going to ask at the market in town the next time I go. I bet they have some :)
There is a whole foods type place just out of town a ways I might try. Their eggs are sold in cardboard but I won't pay $5 for a dozen eggs! Maybe they have some empties :D Free???

I am the one using the theater trays. I like them much better than the new, lighter weight egg cartons.

I am trying to remember. Someone on the forum or someone else I know was ordering egg cartons on line. They were unused and people with chickens buy them. Just a thought, maybe a farm supply type of website would have them for sale. I'm sorry that I can't be of more help, but I do know that empty, new egg cartons do exist for sale. If I remember anything else, I will let you know.

• Like 1

This is a site that explains, very well, how to make your own stones out of newspaper. If you look at the house she has at her header of her blog, it was made with this recipe. You can cut the "stones" into whatever shape you prefer. I've used it and it's great. I've posted it on GL before but threads get lost in the shuffle after awhile.

Mini Mod Pod - Paper/Stone tutorial.

• Like 1

Ohhh that's cool Selkie! My right hand is being painful in the cold weather I guess ( I had surgery for a broken tendon twice) I decided I might have to use printie stone or brick. Cutting a bunch of stones would be painful. I want to look this tutorial over. Making the stones from a paper mache which this is right? Might be ok to do. Its fun to research the options! Thanks for all the great suggestions! :)

Roxy sorry to hear about your hand and I can definitely relate to painful hands. I would think it might be possible to make bricks in sheets instead of cutting them out. While the ground paper is still wet make a brick pattern in it using a straight edge of some type. After it is dry paint and glue to the house. Does that make sense?

That is how this tutorial does it, in sheets. You can cut them with a straight edge or scissors, just leave them scored as you suggested, cut them irregularly or whatever suits your fancy. It's very easily adapted to each person's own preference. They can become stones, rocks, bricks or anything in between and it's cheap!!!!

I've been taking it pretty slow with my North Park build -- I have a relative who's been staying over in my workspace a couple nights a week for the last month, so whenever he's around I try to step away from the big build and focus on smaller details like assembling porch railings and painting window frames and other things i can do on a tray on my sofa. I initially went pretty slow with everything because I kept stopping to resize windows before it was all put together! Earlier on this thread I was obsessing about whether or not I'd be able to successfully shorten a window frame to make room for kitchen counters, but I did it on two kitchen windows, used some spackle, and it actually looks pretty good (you can only see the seam from the outside if you're really looking). My house has milled-in siding, but luckily I had some window-sized scraps of wall with milled-in siding left from when I converted two upstairs windows to a balcony door.

On the weekend I got the first couple of walls and the second floor installed, and that finally made it possible for me to do a dry-fit of all the other walls (with this heavy plywood, I truly don't believe it would be humanly possible to dryfit the whole house). That's been exciting! I started to think about interior divider placement and room layouts which is super fun, but means I've spent a lot more time staring/playing/daydreaming than actually building anything. I have a big pad of chart paper lying around my house which just happens to be graph paper marked out in one-inch squares, so I cut a couple sheets to match the dimensions of the rooms I'm planning, with window and door locations marked with a highlighter and I've had some fun drawing on possible layouts, looking up dimensions of possible furniture on miniatures.com.

I also went ahead and splurged on a huge fancy kitchen set -- because my kitchen is 15x15 and i want lots of counter and cabinet space! I did dabble a bit last week in trying to make my own cabinets, and concluded i just wasn't going to be able to make something i was happy enough with. So, this will be the one big splurge of the furnishing process -- from here on in I need to make more of my own stuff. I've got it all mocked up in there now, and it's made me realize that one of those windows I shortened so painstakingly? I need to unshorten it (and tragically, it's the one i did second, and did a better job on). Any tips on how to undo all my wood-gluing and spackling and end up with a reasonably neat looking result?

• Like 2