What's everyone working on?

Been trying out a new (for me) way to smooth on spackle to the sides of te lighthouse, I wanted to fill some of the crevices that went all the way into the wood etc so just used a surgeons glove and smoothed it on the surface and now I am letting it sit for a little while before going over the leathery surface with a sponge for texture.

Very easy clean up :D

Hugs

Been trying out a new (for me) way to smooth on spackle to the sides of te lighthouse, I wanted to fill some of the crevices that went all the way into the wood etc so just used a surgeons glove and smoothed it on the surface and now I am letting it sit for a little while before going over the leathery surface with a sponge for texture.

Hugs

Anna, that sounds like it's fun and easy!  I can't wait to see the pictures of how it comes out.  

I have one more day of real life stuff to attend to and then I can get back to mini-ing.  I did sneak in enough time to decapitate a mannequin and paint it white. <chuckling>  It's probably better that no one was around to see me using a pair of pliers and cussing under my breath while I ripped the head off the little guy.   It did NOT part from his shoulders willing!  

:giggles: Deb, I can just picture the process!!!

Will hipefully be able to do some painting soon and be able to share pics as well of the stone. It was soooo easy just to fill out here and there and now as that is drying I fiddled a little with the shelves where the wine bottles, barrels etc are kept;

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=107601

Needs a lot more bottles to fill up nicley, but atleast it is getting there. Next is stone dressing the interior walls as well as the floor, but that will have to wait til another day I suppose.

Hugs

My Dura Craft VM-800 arrived yesterday and I immediately started inventory. Unfortunately there are several of the tongue and groove siding pieces missing. A little disappointed since it was supposed to be complete. There is also a couple pieces broken but I will not let this get me down. I can either try to find another much cheaper kit to swipe some parts from or some walls will have to be plain wood covered with stone or brick. I'm just thrilled to have the house I've been drooling over for so many years.

Now my DH has already figured out that I plan to start this one before her sister ,the VH-600 is finished. I don't think he likes that idea since I'm elbow deep in the wiring and using a few choice words with it but what does he know. That just means when I get disgusted with one I can jump on the other one and all the agony will just melt away.

Anyway I'm happy!  Happy wife, happy life..... right?

Hugs

Anna,thanx for posting this tip! When I use spackle to 'stucco' a dh wall my hands/fingers are my preferred and only tool. I've briefly tried spreading it on with an old plastic card,etc. as is usually suggested,but I prefer the results I get with my bare hands. I even use my open palm to dab at the surface to bring up slight peaks,when wanted,but what a mess! I don't know why I didn't think of using a glove! I have a package somewhere,so will keep this in mind when surfacing my Orchid rehab soon.Thank you,thank you!! :)

Edited by kat57
  • Like 2

Not necessarily. For most builds,it would "need" it just to smooth where the tab a slot location is or where there was a tiny gap or something like that.

When folks are putting it all over, either they are going for a stucco look finish or they choose to create a smoother surface for painting due to an irregularity they don't like or simply personal preferance.

I made my first modification on my kit this weekend -- took out the windows on the side of my North Park over the balcony and replaced them with french doors, which needed some creativity as I started with the standard Houseworks french doors, which were 4 cm too narrow for my opening. I decided to build on sidelights to solve the problem -- thanks for holly and selkie for convincing me i could do this! I'm pretty happy with the final result.

Sorry for the low quality pictures -- just snapped these quickly on my phone last night. I've just made my first album in the gallery -- wanted to post how i did this in case someone else is stuck on the same thing in the future.

• Like 2

Whohoo and yay, got the needed and longed for extra fence pieces to be able to finish that part as well as I need those in the drying process...

Have also found some more wine bottles, but think I need evenmore to get that really well stocked shelves I want there....

Hugs

... it's nothing particularly impressive to those of you more seasoned in this --

Not true! There is nothing like rejoicing when someone discovers that particular joy of creation and accomplishment that comes from successfully making something yourself.

• Like 2

Emily I am with Holly on this, as sharing ones successes as well as progress is sheer joy! Sometimes "just" laying out the pieces next to each other is an opportunity to share :D looking forward to following your building progress!

Hugs

I made my first modification on my kit this weekend -- took out the windows on the side of my North Park over the balcony and replaced them with french doors, which needed some creativity as I started with the standard Houseworks french doors, which were 4 cm too narrow for my opening. I decided to build on sidelights to solve the problem -- thanks for holly and selkie for convincing me i could do this! I'm pretty happy with the final result.

Congratulations !!! I knew you could do it. Now, what's next (she says with a giggle)?

I'm still installing Washington's attic floor and have made a sad discovery; self-healing cutting mats might not wear out from the cuts, but those lovely grid lines and measurements do! I let DH know we need to hit all the likely local places to find a replacement, since I hate to order online for one item. I.m really using it a lot to cut the iron-on veneer into floor boards, especially splitting them lengthwise.

• Like 1

I painted the panels for the Storybook Cottage with a small sponge roller like you use to paint regular houses except its only about 3 inches long. Wow! If you are still painting with a paint brush I would recommend this. Its fast and comes out so smooth and nice! Once I get started I am so excited I don't want to stop so I dry the paint with my hair dryer on a low warm setting. What a nice finish I got!

I don't spackle unless I have to fill in cracks or edges etc. I paint with acrylic paint so I never prime the acrylic seals the wood nicely I have never had an issue with it.

I am building Viola's Music School for Girls. Its a Victorian school so back then they had schools for girls to learn all the lady like arts and music.

• Like 1

I do the same as you,Roxy-I use acrylic craft paints so I don't use primer. I have 2 mini paint rollers. One is just a foam sponge material on a roller,but the other is of the fluffy material just like larger rollers. I have a little paint tray too!LOL I like both rollers,but the 2nd one seems to do better for me. Your music school for girls sounds like fun,Roxy! What colors are you using?

• Like 2

Kat, I painted the exterior walls an antique white and I am thinking of doing the trim in lavender and a darker purple. I have never used those colors before. I can't get to the craft store so I have a lot of these paints I can use. I also have some beautiful floral scrapbook paper that I can use for the wallpaper. Its all in my head so hopefully it will come out nice. :)

• Like 1