What's everyone working on?

ah, but it is sort of mine too as we share in putting the stuff in there ;) as I like to only have the regular white, fabric and wood glue in my immidiate stash, the ones that are smelly and special purposes are in the shed.

Hugs

Today I got the Love Shack off the shelf and onto the work table. After I dusted it and reminded myself what it was and where I'd left off three years ago, I was able to finish dirty washing and dry brushing the rust onto the tin ceilings and then attached all the roof pieces, assembled and attached the porch, painted and glued on the corner trim and then spent about an hour searching for the base for it. No luck on that and I was going to whack off a piece from the 2x6 mdf in the closet when I remembered that I'd helped Bruce rip a sheet of mdf the other day and the leftover might work so I went trekking off to the garage and searched around til I found it. Perfect!

Side note: I love that this is a place where women can freely admit to pillaging their husband's shops, sheds, and garages for glues, paints, wood, and tools. :construction: We rock.

But anyway, I was surprised at how close the Love Shack is to being finished. Everything is already painted and with the work I did today, there isn't much left but assembling the greenhouse, doing a little detailing to the edges and trim, and then the landscaping. :kicking: And after I was done working for the day all I could think about was wanting to get back in there and do some more. This can only mean one thing...............I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack. <convulsing in giggles> :tv_horror:

• Like 3

Today I got the Love Shack off the shelf and onto the work table. After I .............. :kicking: And after I was done working for the day all I could think about was wanting to get back in there and do some more. This can only mean one thing...............I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack. <convulsing in giggles> :tv_horror:

Hip Hip Hooray !!!!

Can't wait to see the progress and the finish line.

Welcome back Deb. Today I finished all the extra wiring needed to install the remote control lighting in Anna's house (the VH-600). What a project that was.

I already installed all the tape wire throughout the whole house before I received the remote set up so I had to sever the wire between each room and add runs to each room. Then at the end of each run I soldered round wire on to go to the circuit board. Now I have a spaghetti mess of wires to wrangle and attach to the board. I had to order a power supply for the thing and it's not here yet so I guess I'll move on to something else for awhile.

Back to wallpapering!

Whew !! That sounds like a huge project. I'm still timid of the wiring department. Mine has been very simple thus far. Congrats for all the hard work you've put in. Can't wait to see how it all lights up. Be sure to post plenty of pictures.

:hug: I was hoping and praying for this!

So was I Holly. It's been a long road back but when I picked up the reins again it felt sooooooo good; kinda like breathing again. Real life got in the way today (translated: it was my husband's day off and there were errand to run and things to do) but tomorrow I'm going to get the greenhouse assembled. It's frustrating to be so much slower than I used to be but I'm just happy to be able to build again that I'm starting not to mind as much.

• Like 2

It's frustrating to be so much slower than I used to be but I'm just happy to be able to build again that I'm starting not to mind as much.

Remember as "they" say: slow and steady WINS the race. You've made it to the finish line many times before and you'll continue to get there in new and maybe more thoughtful ways.

• Like 1

<grinning> I'm only 53 and had hoped for another twenty years before I slowed down this much but my body had different ideas. It was just five years ago that I built a whole Laurel in three days but the gift of slowing down is being able to enjoy each moment of building even more so Selkie, you're right that I'm learning to build in more thoughtful ways. And Holly, you keep inspiring me to never give up so here I go! Bruce just brought up a bar stool with a back on it for my work bench and I'm going to displace a couple of cats on my feet and head to the studio. Wooohooo!!!

Already debating on the next build. I've been wanting to do a fairy village with a desert twist. Instead of flowers and foliage, I'm going to make a Ghost Town for the lizards in the back yard. The quarter scale village kits yield all kinds of perfect houses for it and since I'll be distressing and aging them, mistakes won't matter as much. No wallpaper or wiring or interiors needed and that might be an excellent choice right now as I dust off the rusty skills. On the other hand, Tracy got me started on an idea for Dr. Robertson's summer home and Debra had to go show how to paint resin dolls so the Maid got all tarted up and steampunked so she's read to move in.............hmmm. That one is enticing and the Loganberry Mill kit is an easy one to do and I have *such* an itch to do steampunk right now.

• Like 3

I'm working on the wee Ts (half scale Tennyson bashes) but have another house idea that I want to start. :D

Oh well, more than two projects at a time is okay.

That's why I want to do both the full scale and half scale Tennysons at the same time but in very different styles. I think it'll be kind of fun to work in contrasts like that. Any clue on which other house idea you have in your mind Debora or is it going to be a surprise?

I finished assembling the greenhouse today. It's amazing how much easier it is for me to build when my tools are at eye level. I've had a 90 degree clamp for years and never used it because it was out of sight in the drawer with the other clamps. Today it was hanging on the pegboard so I remembered to use it and gluing that greenhouse together got a whole lot easier!! Tomorrow I'll finish up the trim, detailing, and paint touch up and it'll be ready to start landscaping.

Deb it is soooo much fun hearing about you building again, and I must admit that I have work bench envy, will have to keep that as an inspiration for later when we will be designing my own workshop one day....

Met up with my parents, had a lovley light lunch and chat and they brought the packs of clay :wub: and now two packs later (as well as three hours or so) I have the exterior stairs and walls "dressed". So tired fingers and hands but sooooo happy. Still have two more packs for the interior walls and floor for the basement, put a "fuzzy" pic in my Shabbychic lighthouse album. Need to get better light in that room to be able to get a better picture since it is slowly getting dark outside now.

<happy sigh>

Hugs

• Like 2

I keep coming back here and saying I am getting started again. Then nothing happens. I did finally get a lot done on laying the third floor slats. Painting them now. Fun to be on here and actually have something to say that I did. I enjoy reading everyone's posts. I can relate to so many health problems. I have to stop a lot. I have breathing problems. they want to do an angiogram and maybe close the hole in my heart. well anyway I do hope can stay out of the hospital and sick bed. He says its not life threatening so maybe will just crawl along and get this house finished?

Boy have I slowed down .......but really I am so thankful I can still manage to work on this and enjoy it! rant over lol

I was back in the studio before sunrise this morning and even tho my hands weren't up to working yet, I was able to dig thru my landscaping stuff to find my rock molds, some funky grass pieces that I think I can cut into shaped bases for grassy knolls, and hauled out a pile of foliage and flowers to audition. That made the time productive! I'm on the trail of a run-away duck that I just saw two days ago but has managed to escape me this morning. (Yes, I've been wandering around the studio calling, "Duck, Duck, Goose!" because it struck me funny.) Later on today I'll get back in there and start doing the last of the detailing work and paint touch up before I start on the landscaping. I've already given myself a stern talking to about NOT retouching any of the checkerboard paint. <shaking head> I will not fall into that trap again. Do you know what kind of infinity loop someone with OCD can get into when painting black and white checkerboard???? Oh dear friends, it's not pretty. :freaked:

Cheryl, keep focusing on what you can do in the moment and you'll find that what you can't do becomes less worrisome. Healing takes time and the minis will always be there when you're ready again.

Anna, I'm off to go see your latest lighthouse picture! That house is coming out sooooooooo cool.

• Like 1

We're always glad to see you back, Cheryl. Depending where the hole is you might really want to consider letting the doctors close it up; What happens when the unoxygenated blood mixes with the oxygenated blood is that you tire more quickly and don't have as much energy. If the hole is between the chambers of your heart (most usual) the blood is getting mixed. It's not life-threatening, but gets old after a while.

I finally did something yesterday and today I have been threatening myself to try and painted some mini watercolor pictures. They aren't wonderful, but I might mat and frame a couple of them to stick on Washington 2.0's walls.

• Like 1

I'm sticking this here instead of starting a whole new topic,for now-I hope that's okay,but if not I'll start one up....What I have been working on is doing some studying of the Forum photo galleries and archive searches. I am considering getting a couple of the Corona Concepts kitchen kits and have questions about the size of houses that it will work in. 

http://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/Wood-Kitchen-Miniature-Dollhouse-Furniture-Kit.html#

Before I found out about my cancer I had started rehabbing an Orchid that I got last year from our fellow member Jeffrey. I had planned to build my own kitchen stuff for it,but at the price of the CC kit I figured I might as well get a couple with some of my Christmas gift $. Anything else I might consider is too expensive or too old fashioned or just ugly! This rehab will be a contemporary look,including no Victorian gingerbread,etc.

The CC kit has a stove,a refrigerator,a sink in a cabinet,and a cabinet with a plain countertop,as well an open wall cabinet and a wall clock. Looking at what others on the Forum have done with theirs,I know this kit has a lot of fun potential and will really suit a modern day look,with some tweaking. Holly has used this kit and Emily(fov) has used it,as well as a couple more members whose names I can't immediately recall,but have bookmarked. So hopefully y'all can help me.

Unfortunately, there are no measurements to be found for what the individual pieces measure once they are made up. Does anybody know how long and how deep each piece is? I think it will all fit in the Orchid kitchen,although I have read different opinions on that in the archives. I also want one for a kitchen in a Dura-Craft Ashley,but doubt it would all fit in it-which has roughly the same interior measurements as a 12 scale Buttercup-but I do think I could use the sink cabinet and the plain countertop cabinet-converting it to have a stovetop....So,if anyone I haven't named has also built one of these kitchen kits,I'd love to know your opinions on it. Thanx!

Edited by kat57

Hi Kat, I haven't build that kit but wanted to say sorry about your cancer. I have found with my health issues that getting in there and working on my minis, and spending hours looking at mini eye candy, etc is the best escape and therapy I can find. I sometimes actually forget that feel bad.

Congratulations on your discovery of doing this kit. Would love to see photos as you progress!

• Like 1

Kat, here's a link to an Orchid filled with CC furniture that Deb just posted in the Gallery tutorial link this morning. It gives a good idea of how the pieces take up space in that house layout.

I have an Orchid and have found it to feel very crowded and very small, very quickly, once I add furniture pieces into it. I've never finished the build because it frustrated me that I couldn't get a spacious feel and all the items I wanted in it - together in a cohesive look.

• Like 2

On the topic of GL furniture kits, the half scale laser cut ones are pretty awesome too. The good thing about GL/CC furniture kits is that they're created by the same folks who make the dollhouse kits so you can be pretty sure they'll fit in proportion.  Room size is another matter, especially for the smaller houses like the Sugar Plum or Buttercup, but they're pretty consistent in scale and totally bashable.  

I'm heading back off to the studio this morning.  I mentioned something about taking down the rest of the holiday stuff inside and Bruce shooed me off saying he'd help with it next weekend coz neither he nor the cats cared if the trees were up a few days longer but they'd all be happy if I'd go do some creating this morning.   So I'm off to make three old fashioned microphone stands and some rocks.  <grinning> In other words, I'm gonna get my hands dirty in some paper clay today.  Let's hear some cheers from everyone who never grew out of making mud pies!!!  

• Like 2