What's everyone working on?

Sue, honey, I realize that you are brand new and the last time I had to remind people that THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION was long enough ago to be buried, but every time I see that phrase it's like waving a red flag at a mad bull. There is mini baseboard trim that comes with channeling along the lower back to run round wire for electrifying (don't need it with tape wire). I have also used 1/4" X 1/8" stripwood and even ribbon for baseboards and ceiling cornices. I acquired batches of mini millwork, some of which is working nicely for baseboards and some other I'm using to trim the tops of the walls. I only miter the ends in the event that the corner will be visible from the top (or bottom); otherwise I simply cut a piece to fit the back wall (seen from the open side of the house) and cut the other two pieces to butt up to the first piece's ends in the corners. I run a very thin bead of wood glue along the back of the molding piece and hold it in place for a few minutes until the glue will hold the piece in place.

• Like 1

Oh Holly I walked right into that one:-))) so it sounds as though its better to use only one piece per section as opposed to using things like skinny sticks, which would be too short for most walls? I read where someone did that for their Garfield and I wondered if that was really practical.

If you use skinny sticks you might want to invest in tub of spackling compound to obliterate the seams where two ends of skinny sticks abut. Come visit me and I'll take you to the hobby shop in Pensacola where you can buy a lifetime supply of mini millwork (at least until he sell it all).

If you use skinny sticks you might want to invest in tub of spackling compound to obliterate the seams where two ends of skinny sticks abut. Come visit me and I'll take you to the hobby shop in Pensacola where you can buy a lifetime supply of mini millwork (at least until he sell it all).

haha I am always up for a road trip. And Florida sure sounds good right now. Its been sleeting and snow flurries all day and so cold.

I pick up basswood strips every time I'm in a craft store or hardware store and occasionally find huge bundles of basswood strips in assorted shapes and widths at model train and hobby stores. Most of the time the strips are sold in three or four foot pieces which yields a lot of dollhouse trim! It makes excellent baseboards and crown moulding as well as exterior trim, door and window frames, and, well, the list is endless. They're inexpensive and soft enough to cut with a pair of sharp scissors. My stash of basswood strips is a little out of control (two fluorescent lightbulb boxes with the tops cut off so I can store them easily and see the top ends when I want to pick a certain something) but it's nice to be able to look in there and find tiny square pieces for framing or wide strips for mopboards or even wedges for something exotic. It's one of those stash things that I recommend having in your supplies and it's a lot less expensive than regular dollhouse trim.

However, there is a lot to be said for regular dollhouse trim and my other stash has channel moulding, roof peak trim, corner trim in assorted sizes.........and my go-to for baseboards and crown moulding.........3/4 round trim. Awesome stuff and you can usually find it at HBS. You can also look at places like Lowes and Home Depot to find ornate strips of trim that will work for crown moulding and even shutters. I scored some amazing three foot long strips of milled basswood that looks exactly like shutters a few years ago and just whack off a piece the size I need when I want to do louvered shutters on something.

My cousin now has her own house (previously in an apartment) and is often caring for a young boy who is mentally challenged. His mother likes to park him in the back bedroom with a video game and my cousin would like to see him get away from the electronics and use his hands and head for something else. The plan is to convert the dollhouse into a fire station and get the boy involved in remodeling it and playing with it. So it will be getting a lot more attention than I was giving it - and I'm sure it will be a happy fire house

CJ, I just saw this. You know you're a pretty amazing person for doing this, right? I spent a good portion of my life working with special needs kids and you don't know what a difference you're going to make in that little boy's life. Seriously sweetie, IMO, you're giving that kid a gift far greater than a toy. You're giving him a brand new way of engaging with the world and if I could reach you, I'd give you the biggest hug you ever had.

If you have a Menards near you they have all kinds of smaller scale strip wood, square dowels and thin sheets of wood. I pick up some every time I am in there, whether I need it or not. Perfect sized for baseboards and window trim. my last purchase was 1/32 sq dowel sticks(smaller than match sticks). 24" long.

• Like 1

Really elaborate window trim? Maybe with awnings or Bahama shutters?

Thanks for these ideas! I actually didn't know what Bahama shutters were -- had to google them. interesting look!

I think I've actually just had a brainwave though: I'm putting a windowbox under the window that will extend out slightly past the cut, but won't be tall enough to cover the whole patched portion. However I just realized that on some RL houses windowboxes are installed with brackets underneath! So if I just stick some spiffy looking brackets on right over the vertical join marks I actually think it will work pretty well. Then I'm just trying to hide the join at the bottom of the filled-in hole, which aligns with the courses of the siding anyway, and can hopefully be hidden a bit with some spackle or something. Though Deb, I do like the notion of just embracing the imperfections as realism! :)

Here's what this looks like before gluing/filling:

Edited by denkyem

I am trying to asphyxiate myself at the moment spraying all my wall papers and floors I printed out with Modge Podge. I just needed the fumes to help with my migraine :bangin:

I did a little painting so while its drying I thought I would post some of my nonsense. Do you think it would look weird if I painted the interior window trim lavender??? I always paint my trims either brown stained or white. So boring! Opinions???

• Like 1

Will the lavender trims go with the paint and wallpaper colors you've chosen?

I finished gluing up the interior bay trims I made and also have two picture frames glued up and drying in the jig. All the floors are laid and stained.

Yes, the wallpaper has shades of deep purple, lavender and baby blue in the paper. Its so pretty! Venturing outside the box is hard sometimes.

I am trying to make a second floor using foamboard. I painted one side to be the first floor ceiling and I glued paper flooring to the other side for the second floor.

Now its warped :( I piled a pile of books on top for the weekend. Do you think it will flatten out??? I didn't want to use the attic its too small to be useful in the Storybook Cottage.

I am not using divider walls, that's the problem. The downstairs is the music class room and the upstairs I am not sure yet how I will do that part. It may be more musical instruments and such. I will leave the floor under the pile of books for a while and see if it straightens itself out flat.

Spent the day making plans for my latest acquisition - a Real Good Toys half scale First Lady from 1981/82. Watching kellyannmo (yes, Kelly I got one!) start her build of this adorable house I knew I had to have one of these rare little gems. This house is so cute I am on cloud 9. Have some work to do before the fun starts. Tomorrow will be ordering some 1/4" plywood from Woodcraft to add a foundation and I need to raise the ceiling height on the first and second floors. Going to love this build.

I've been doing a little happy dance after visiting Michael's and finding just the right key component for my next build. :kicking: There is a great deal of steampunk goodness in my near future. I'm so excited!

• Like 2

I just finished a mini scene with a little resin house I got a while back. The whole thing fits in one of those acrylic holders for a baseball. I think its officially the smallest scene I have done. So that's one completed project for 2015 right? :banana: I have a feeling the next project will take longer. lolol

• Like 2

Spent the day making plans for my latest acquisition - a Real Good Toys half scale First Lady from 1981/82. Watching kellyannmo (yes, Kelly I got one!) start her build of this adorable house I knew I had to have one of these rare little gems. This house is so cute I am on cloud 9. Have some work to do before the fun starts. Tomorrow will be ordering some 1/4" plywood from Woodcraft to add a foundation and I need to raise the ceiling height on the first and second floors. Going to love this build.

Congrats Valerie... they are hard to find :)

I'll be right there dancing with you Deb. I'm Steampunking the observatory.

Yay!!!!! How very, very awesome! Just hearing the words "steampunk" and "observatory" together makes a little shiver run down my spine, especially if it's coming to life under your hands (and Zar's supervision of course). I can't wait to see this one!

I need to get some real life plants repotted and yard work done today and tomorrow, but after that I'll be back to working on mini landscaping for the Love Shack. I'm resisting the urge to haul out a Loganberry Mill kit until it's done but that's getting harder and harder to do. I want to check a measurement against the stuff I picked up this weekend, but I know if I do I'll end up putting it into dry fit and marking off where I want to make my cuts and if I do that..........well, at that point I'll be building. LOL!

• Like 2