Curiosity about 1/2" scale

CatColorado

Please! Since I'm VERY new to this hobby. Can you all tell me about 1/2 scale and 1/144 and so on.

Meaning of these, please. I just want to know. I haven't been paying much attention to it when collecting, so may..........be I'd better learn about this.

I'd appreciate a reply. Thanks.

Okay, let me see if I can explain this, and hey, I'm still learning, too. :)

One inch or 1/12 scale means that the miniature is scaled to one inch in mini being the equivalent to 12 inches (one foot) in full size.

Half-inch or 1/24 or half scale is one inch being equivalent to 24 inches

1/6 or Barbie/fashion doll scale is one each being equivalent to 6 inches

And one that bends my mind to even think about, but folks here with courage I'll never have work in it: 1/144 - one inch being equialvent to 144 inches. REALLY small!!!

There are other scales that people use, too, but these are the ones I more or less understand LOL.

Hope this helps, Sue.

Mary did an outstanding job. Somewhere in the archives is a post where Ed_Cal did train scales, too.

If it's easier,

1:12 means 1" = 1' in full size; a 6' tall man would be a 6" tall doll.

1:24 means 1" = 2' in full size; a 6' tall man would be a 3" tall doll

1:48 means 1' = 4' in full size; a 6' tall man would be a 1.5" tall doll

etc...

1/144. HOLLY

I thank you the the miniature.com website. I love it. I sure would like to get a miniature DH of 1/144. Just to see about doing it. Have you ever done one this small Holly?

They have some perfect objects I love. Vintage, which is great. I see a house, know the approx age and tune it, then find what I want for it or information about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else from here participate in the Yahoo half scale group's anniversary swap? I just posted a blog with info about how to make my swap item (half scale record albums) as well as pictures of some of the other swap items. So much talent!

• Like 1

I did too. I made the DaVinci painting in a wood with gold trim frame. I loved your records, Emily! It was such a terrific experience getting 1:24 scale goodies. Unique items can be hard to find in half scale! Looks like there was some cool differences in the items we got.

Did anyone else from here participate in the Yahoo half scale group's anniversary swap? I just posted a blog with info about how to make my swap item (half scale record albums) as well as pictures of some of the other swap items. So much talent!

I belong but missed the swap this year. I will do it next time. The chat was yesterday and was great.

I have been working a lot on my half scale houses.

I have changed the layout of the Chantilly. Pic of the front and part of the second floor.

There are more pics on my blog if anyone is interested.

Here are the Chantilly linked posts

Pics of the Victorianna linked posts

Have you guys seen the Leon's Victorian Mansion? I got this kit for Christmas. It does not go together well, and the instructions are poor, but overall I am happy with the house.

post-3165-0-66310400-1364733501_thumb.jp

post-3165-0-66889600-1364733511_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK...so why didn't any of you warn me about doing embroidery in half scale?!?!? :eek: I'm going to go blind at age 45!

I have the Miniature Embroidery for the Victorian Dolls' House book by Pamela Warner (which has gorgeous patterns - Victorian, Edwardian, Arts & Crafts, Art Nouveau) and it gives guidelines for converting to 1:24 by using between 40-80 count silk gauze. Silly (read naive) me orders 48 and 58 count. 48 count is MINISCULE...I don't even think I can try 58 and I have perfect up-close vision. Did I miss something? Any embroidery experts out there?

Gee, Janet, all the rugs I was doing on 30-count linen for Mildred turned out to be 1:24 and they all grace the Fairfields. Now I'm trying some rugs on 22-count aida that look much more like Mildred's size. Of course, I cheat and clip a jeweler's loupe onto my bifocals, since my 71+ year old eyes have cataracts...

• 1 month later...

Sorry to be so naive--is the unit for 1/2" scale = inches to feet? If so, wouldn't this the same as 1/24th? How can I find out what scale my kit is, if it's not in the instructions, label, etc.? It looks pretty big (final size will be 32" wide x 22" deep x 40" high). The front door (without the doorjamb) is about 2 7/8" x 6 5/8", which would translate to roughly 1/12th, compared to my house. Does this sound reasonable?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had to search forever befor i could find a site that sells 1/2 scale doll kits that really called out to me! I wanted more simple, neutral faces.

I finally found the perfect online catalog, but she doesn't take orders online. You just have to be patient and call, then send a check in the mail.

The site is petite people plus (miniaturedolls.com)

• Like 1

The artist is elaine kothe. Very nice lady! I received my dolls in the mail a few days ago and they are beutifull. I would definately put up with the wait and will ne gettimg more for my fairfield in tje future!

She also has 1/4 scale dolls!