Curiosity about 1/2" scale

CatColorado

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Half scale used to be as rare as hens teeth here in England but now you can get 1:24 everywhere both cheap stuff and artisan. I have had no problems at all. A lot of the dollshouse people will make things for you that are not too expensive. Herdwick Landscapes in the UK is making me a 1:24 coffin with brass fixings.

As for 1:44. I have a lovely 1:44 house and got the furnishings from these people (I can't afford their other scales)

http://www.peartree-miniatures.co.uk/catalogue/144.html

Trouble is I'm obsessed now, I want all the houses :-)

• Like 1

Half scale is wonderful! There are a lot of vendors in the UK offering some great items. The exchange rate and shipping can be prohibitive, but I've ordered from some.

Fortunately I'm seeing more and more offerings here in the US.

i originally bought my dollshouse from the Washington (DC) dollshouse museum and I remember at the time they had a wonderful shop selling all kinds of 1;24 items and that was 24 years ago. They even had half scale cobwebs for the attic. I wonder if they are still around?

i originally bought my dollshouse from the Washington (DC) dollshouse museum and I remember at the time they had a wonderful shop selling all kinds of 1;24 items and that was 24 years ago. They even had half scale cobwebs for the attic. I wonder if they are still around?

No it closed and Mrs Jacobs sold off the contents at auction shortly before she passed away. I was very fortunate that the son & DIL who live in the metro DC area wanted to go with us to the museum a couple of years before it closed, and I got to meet Mrs Jacobs, who happened to be in the gift shop when we were there.

Both Ron Mummert in Orlando, FL, and Keri Berkner in Amherst, NH, carry a full line of 1:24 Bespaq furniture, and when I'm at Ron's I tend to load up on 1:24 furniture kits.

No it closed and Mrs Jacobs sold off the contents at auction shortly before she passed away. I was very fortunate that the son & DIL who live in the metro DC area wanted to go with us to the museum a couple of years before it closed, and I got to meet Mrs Jacobs, who happened to be in the gift shop when we were there.

Both Ron Mummert in Orlando, FL, and Keri Berkner in Amherst, NH, carry a full line of 1:24 Bespaq furniture, and when I'm at Ron's I tend to load up on 1:24 furniture kits.

What a shame it's closed, it was such a wonderful place. I'm glad you got to see it before it shut down though.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm usually so lazy about accessorizing, but I participated in the half scale Yahoo group's annual swap and ended up with a bunch of nice things that I've started finding homes for in my half scale houses. I took some pictures of the accessorized rooms and posted them on my blog if anyone would like to see... http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=6675

Usually my dollhouses have tons of bare shelves, so I'm happy to start filling up some of them!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Since I have finally took the dive into 1/2 scale with my Victoriana Rehab, I have a question for you all.

I would love to brick the outside of the house. I am not really impressed with the half scale products I see on line. But this is just viewing from my computer screen. I have found actual half scale bricks but the thought of putting them on individually . . .ugh!

What have you all used for brick work? Do the styrene brick sheets look realistic?

I've never used paper clay, and I know that could be an option.

I am only going to brick the flat surfaces. The kitchen bay window and the tower will be shingled.

Thanks!

I don't recommend the styrene sheet. I used it for a few small bits on the Fairfield (fireplace, chimney) and it's very hard to cut. Also the bricks look too uniform to me.

You should try egg carton brick. I haven't done brick yet (don't have much patience for cutting straight lines!) but I've used it for stonework and am always happy with the result. In half scale, I used it for the foundation and chimney on my Rowhouse.

post-7-0-54864700-1399074376_thumb.jpg post-7-0-47309100-1399074296_thumb.jpg

Brae has a good blog about using egg carton for brick here, you'll just have to make smaller bricks in half scale.

I agree with Emily. You can also use thick textured art paper in place of egg cartons, so it's easier and quicker to cut. That's what I used for the foundation blocks for the White Rose.post-15386-0-43661200-1399077762_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

I haven't read through all the pages here but there are some wonderful links and tips, so thanks. I'm working on a Fairfield and I am struggling to find the furniture I want and can afford. I started making books and perfume bottles.

Welcome! I love the Fairfield. Half scale can be challenging since you don't have as many options, but I find it makes me think more creatively. Also when you find a special piece on eBay or at a mini show it's that much more special, since it doesn't happen very often. :lol:

SDK Miniatures and A Trifle Small (formerly Molly's House) are my favorite places to shop for half scale minis. Mountain Miniatures has a good selection, too. And make sure to check out Shapeways for 3D printed stuff... the selection is growing and the detail can be pretty amazing.

Please post pictures of your Fairfield so we can drool over it!

• Like 1

I had some of the sets of wee furniture that HBS was selling as 1:24 scale to put in my Fairfields, but when I put it in the houses along with the 1:24 cassidy Creations kits I'd made as well as the 1:24 people, I quickly saw that it was much too small; so I got out all my 1:12 furniture-building books and reduced the patterns 50% and made it all.

I'm doing a Fairfield too, I get all my stuff from here in the UK:

http://www.homesinminiature.co.uk/

They have pretty much everything you could ever want.

There is so much choice in 1:24 over in England now, when I started this 20 years ago there was almost nothing.

I have purchased quite a bit of accessories from Lynda. Just received another order from her on Friday. Great half scale items and super fast shipping to the US.

• Like 1

I'm not currently working on anything,as my job has me pretty worn out right now. But I keep walking past an old solid wood rectangular drawer I've been considering tossing out. My sister gave it to me a couple of years ago,to 'do something mini' with-she didn't realize it wouldn't really be deep enough for 12 scale rooms.

Well,all the talk lately about 24 scale has me wondering if I could do a simple half scale house/roombox type build with it-SOME day. :) When turned on it's side it measures 24'' High x14" Wide x 6" Deep. Would that make a 3 story tall build? I would leave it with a flat roof until I decided how to do otherwise,add floors,and faux interior windows/w/curtains....

Has anyone ever used an old drawer for a half scale build,or have any ideas if it would 'measure up'? :) I am notorious about jumping around and not finishing anything,but I just wanted to decide if it's worth hanging on to after all.

Edited by kat57

Kat, if you are using the drawer with the 24"(48 feet) as the vertical, you could easily do four stories. 1/2" = 1 foot. Even allowing for the thickness of the floors, you could have at least 11 foot ceilings.

You didn't say what you were going to use for dividers. So I am guessing at the height.

With 14" (28 feet across), you could have two small rooms or one large room on each level. You also didn't say if you were going to do staircases on each floor. That would cut into the room space.

Of course, all of your rooms would be 6"(12 feet) deep. Maybe you could do a doorway at the back of each room, indicating that there is a staircase behind the rooms.

This sounds like an interesting project. I can't wait to see you start.

• Like 1