Curiosity about 1/2" scale

CatColorado

Audra, I think that's because there are two different types of railings - the "porch railing" and the "staircase railing". Miniatures.com seems to only carry the porch railing in half scale (see here), but here's what I'm talking about in one inch scale: http://www.miniature...ail-P17200.aspx

I did a quick Google search and couldn't find the "staircase railing" in half scale online but I have purchased this at my local miniature shop. Maybe it's been discontinued (why would they do that?!). Also Northeastern Miniatures makes some hand rails that might work in half scale: http://www.northeast...hand-rails.html

The Houseworks half scale staircase railing (HW7020), which I have also purchased at DTM, is still available at the Houseworks wholesale site.

Need to scroll down to almost the bottom of the page: http://houseworksltd...=1/2%22%20SCALE

And here on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/...=item460531fcda

Valerie

Thanks Valerie! Miniatures.com actually does carry it, they just didn't have it listed in the section where I was looking. (Is it me, or is their 1/2" stuff very difficult to navigate? You really need to know what you're looking for...)

Anyway, it's here: http://www.miniatures.com/12-Scale-Stair-and-Landing-Handrail-P17810.aspx

The Houseworks half scale staircase railing (HW7020), which I have also purchased at DTM, is still available at the Houseworks wholesale site.

Need to scroll down to almost the bottom of the page: http://houseworksltd...=1/2%22%20SCALE

And here on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/...=item460531fcda

Valerie

Thanks!!! I just ordered the 2 available from this ebay seller!

Thanks Valerie! Miniatures.com actually does carry it, they just didn't have it listed in the section where I was looking. (Is it me, or is their 1/2" stuff very difficult to navigate? You really need to know what you're looking for...)

Anyway, it's here: http://www.miniature...ail-P17810.aspx

Emily - I never have seen this section before. I ordered before I scrolled down to your post from ebay. I will have to see what else I can find on HBS site

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Happy Heart

I've found many items suitable for 1/2" scale at my local $1 stores and sometimes in toy departments. Much of that white wire 'wicker' furniture is actually 1/2" scale. I turned one piece into a four-poster brass bed with some gold nail polish and an old pencil sharpener pot-bellied stove got covered with black nail polish.

Know the sizes you need if you can't size 'by eye'. 1/2" scale might seem like an exercise in nothing but frustration at times but once it starts to resemble a house instead of just parts, you'll be very glad you stuck with it.

Some of the icebox magnets work best in 1:24, too. What broke my heart was that after buying several rooms of what was supposed to be "1/2" scale" furniture from HBS, when I put it into the Fairfields it was 'way small!, especially with the 1:24 scale kits I'd built and the 1:24 DIY stove I'd made from a miniature magazine article; we figured it was closer to 1:32! So I got to go through all my dh furniture making books and scale down all the patterns to make furniture that was in scale.

Right now you can find suitably sized items in the Christmas decorations at Michaels and other craft stores. Some of the architectural supplies are half scale (1:24) and if you really pay attention to scale, you can find many one inch scale items that can be used in half inch scale. I recently bought a glass bottle with stopper that was listed as a perfume bottle in one inch scale, but makes a beautiful decanter in half inch scale. I also found some cute park benches in the Xmas section at Michaels.

I've got a nifty pocket ruler that fits in my wallet that is a half scale ruler. It makes it real easy to measure items when shopping.

I love the size and challenges of working in half inch scale!

Seeing at though the PM is not working -

Emily - where can I find more of the fridge magnets? I have been able to find a lot of other magnets that I can use - but have not come across a fridge. Need a few!!

Since "refrigerator magnet" is useless, I always search for "acme magnet" since Acme is the brand name. Usually if I limit that search either to Dollhouse Miniatures or to Collectibles, the fridge, stove, and other appliances show up.

Searching around for printable wallpapers.....

Especially fun now as I am getting my MIL a half scale Tennyson for Christmas. Sent an email about shipping last night so hope to order it early next week so that it will be under the tree....

Hugs

• Like 1

Searching around for printable wallpapers.....

Especially fun now as I am getting my MIL a half scale Tennyson for Christmas. Sent an email about shipping last night so hope to order it early next week so that it will be under the tree....

Hugs

I usually make my own, rescaling on the computer, but you can find the correct scale on eBay, search wallpaper under dollhouse miniatures.

I use scrapbook paper a lot. For the Queen Anne rowhouse, I'm making some myself by piecing together sample swatches (in Photoshop) from Bradbury & Bradbury.

Also - Itsy Bitsy Mini and Brodnax prints have half scale stuff, but the shipping from their sites is pricey. I ordered a damask pattern from Itsy Bitsy Mini and the color was completely different than in the sample, it was supposed to be olive green and instead is brown. I know online swatches aren't always accurate, but I ordered it through my local mini shop so they had a printed swatch and I expected it to look like that. Just something to be aware of... if I'd bought from the website and paid for shipping (more than the cost of the paper itself!), I would have been upset.

I was on the Brodnax site yesterday and they also had a very high shipping price, but there are online mini shops that carry them and you might get a better deal on shipping.

EDIT: I just reread your post and see that you were looking for *printable* wallpaper. Oops, never mind. :o

• Like 1

Thank you Emily, all input is great input! Just a little hitch with me being over here and shipping so to speak... Those sites will ve well used for eye candy, for sure, and with MIL getting a lil' house of her own who knows ;)

Hugs and thank you!!!

Also - Itsy Bitsy Mini and Brodnax prints have half scale stuff, but the shipping from their sites is pricey. I ordered a damask pattern from Itsy Bitsy Mini and the color was completely different than in the sample, it was supposed to be olive green and instead is brown. I know online swatches aren't always accurate, but I ordered it through my local mini shop so they had a printed swatch and I expected it to look like that. Just something to be aware of... if I'd bought from the website and paid for shipping (more than the cost of the paper itself!), I would have been upset.

Oh how I agree about Itsy Bitsy papers. They carry such a huge line of beautiful wallpapers in both 1" and 1/2" scales but their color inconsistency is horrible. I no longer buy their papers online only in shops where I can see what I am getting before purchasing.

Valerie

Thank you Emily, all input is great input! Just a little hitch with me being over here and shipping so to speak... Those sites will ve well used for eye candy, for sure, and with MIL getting a lil' house of her own who knows ;)

Oh, you're in the UK, right? Have you looked at Molly's House? They don't have a huge selection of wallpaper, but they do have some and maybe one will strike your fancy...

In general they seem to have a great selection of 1/2" stuff and shipping seems reasonable (even to the US). I keep meaning to place an order but haven't yet pulled the trigger.

Thank you Emily, that site is so definitley put in my favourites :wub: I think I could easily get in trouble there LOL. UK and any country in the EU works great. Most online shops over here (as well as brick and mortar the few we have) have a very sparse half scale section if any at all...

Got a shipping quote from Lisa today, she is a gem to deal with, so will fix the Paypal and then I'll place my order, happy!!!! MIL will be delighted as well, she has been eyeing my own little halfscale so I think I need to keep an eye on that or she just might adopt it for herself....

Hugs

At Hobby Lobby , they carry 6x6 scrapbooking pads of paper. The scale is very small, very nice for wallpaper and other paper projects.

Any brand in particular as that is what would need to hunt through the websites with scrapbook items or give a hint to the local one ;)

Hugs