Curiosity about 1/2" scale

CatColorado

I have a half scale miniature question: Would it fit GI Joe or 3.75" action figures? One of my toy friends said he has always wanted a dollhouse to put his action figures in and I thought the 1/2" scale would be pretty darn close.

3.75" would be too tall/big equaling about 7 1/2 feet tall in life. 3/4 scale would be a better fit.

Nice Moogle.

GASP, I know it's off topic but I would like to see!

Okay, but promise not to laugh. He's in 1/2" scale so we're still on topic. I thought he looked pretty good since it was my first try and all.

sml_gallery_22_4915_45883.jpg

• Like 1

Okay, but promise not to laugh. He's in 1/2" scale so we're still on topic. I thought he looked pretty good since it was my first try and all.

sml_gallery_22_4915_45883.jpg

He's adorable! I was thinking he would be like some little clay statue, but he actually is like an actual doll! That's so cute! You should make a mini Final Fantasy room that he can live in!

LOL...Not many Final Fantasy-ers here, I would guess. My son played them non-stop...all 10, or 12 or ...100 of them..I lost count after a while. LOL

I DO know they cost me plenty in $$$ over the years though. The only characters I remember are Mog and Sabin...the rest are a hopeless blur.

At any rate, he is adorable.

• 4 weeks later...

Lol I think the moogle is the only miniature I've seen so far that my husband would appreciate. He's a huge gamer.

Ok I did a dry fit of the Sea-side Villa and this house is huge! I'm excited to get it started but I am daunted at the task of finding furniture to fill it that are close in scale to each other. The sets from HBS seem a tad on the small side do you have any suggestions as to where to look for nice to scale furniture? Kits are great too but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg. Talk about finicky huh? I have lots of full scale furniture making books but I don't trust my skill in converting and then creating nice pieces in half scale.

Kabrina, I'm in the same boat. The mansion I'm working on is huge, it has 14 rooms and I want to decorate in a contemporary style. That means I will have to make or bash most of the furniture for it, I have plans to sell some things I make but obviously they won't be appropriate for a Victorian.

Try making a few pieces, you might surprise yourself. Get those books from Petite Properties, there's anywhere from 15 to 19 projects in each one. Well worth the price I think and everything is made from mat board.

Ok, I've searched the forum but can't find an answer. I've stumbled across those adorable Calico Critters and although I have found they are "fat" half scale size I haven't been able to find anything about their furniture. Searching online didn't produce any size results either. I have found some really cute sets that I think would look ok mixed into one of my dollhouses but I need to know if they would work in a half scale setting. Anyone know?

I think the frog family KathieB used in her houseboat were the Calico Critters (or similar), but you'll want to check her gallery to see what she has to say about any furniture she used.

I think the frog family KathieB used in her houseboat were the Calico Critters (or similar), but you'll want to check her gallery to see what she has to say about any furniture she used.

The Calico Critters are a tad bit large for regular 1/2" scale furniture but look fine if they're not close to the furniture. Kabrina's "fat half scale size" is a great description. I got around it by placing the captain on the bridge, the mom is outside getting mail from the mailbox, and the son is on deck fishing. The baby is in a crib in the nursery, looking like a plump toddler. If any of them wander into the living areas of the house, it appears they are too big for the furniture.

I didn't use (or even look for) any Calico Critter furniture, so I can't speak to the scale. I did see some on display someplace and it appeared to be slightly larger than 1/2" scale, but with nothing nearby to compare and an aging memory, I can't be sure.

Sorry if this isn't very helpful.

To answer your question about contemporary furniture, Daisy House had some great kits but the company recently shut down. You might be able to find them at mini shops still. I know my local shop (Dollhouses, Trains, and More in Novato CA) still has some, they might be willing to ship to you mail order if you call them. I'm using several of these kits (the couch table, the plant stand, the bed, and the country table & benches) in my Rosedale.

Also take a look at SDK Miniatures kits, if you haven't already. They have a lot of stuff that works in contemporary settings, and they're affordable.

Also Lee's Line has some half scale furniture.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found a great site for kits: www.MJ-Miniatures.com

She is phasing out her 1:24 line so you might want to check it out soon. I put together the little bread box and tray and they are adorable. The plant kits look good too. The Nama chair has lovely detail.

She has 1:12 and quarter scale too.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone here heard of Bauder Pine Ltd. kits? I'm not talking about Bauder Pine from the 80s, who used to make Cassidy Creations (although it's probably the same company, or someone who bought them out). These are apparently new, I got them on eBay from a lady who says she bought them at a trade show a couple of years ago.

Bauder Pine has a website here and Facebook page here, but this is the first time I've ever seen kits like these and I haven't been able to find them anywhere else online...

I might go over to my local shop next week and ask the lady there who does the ordering if she knows of them and if there are more pieces available to order. I guess I could call the number on the Bauder Pine website but I feel weird doing that...

post-7-0-27840000-1341086073_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-58392300-1341086076_thumb.jpg

I realized they had an email address on the website, so I sent an email. That's less weird to me than calling. Will let you guys know what I hear back!