Curiosity about 1/2" scale

CatColorado

Have any of you used the Cir-Kit brand half scale lights? If yes, any impressions?

I'm pretty unhappy with them at the moment and trying to gauge whether my disappointment is justified...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Just received the 1/2"scale Victorianna that I won on Ebay. It is definitely a fixer-upper and will be a challenge. After looking at it, I doubt two of them could be put together to make a duplex.

Darn it, that would have been unique.

So far all that I have done is wash it out, yes it came with it's own dirt. Now rebuild parts, will try and put a "before" picture on the gallery and slowly show what I do.(Wish me luck :-) )

Gail

Yep, I'm hoping to do that someday. (I have one kit, just need to find another!)

Gail, what makes you say it wouldn't work...? Something about how the one you bought was built, or do you think it wouldn't work in general? Just curious as I've never seen the Victorianna in person (but I did see a picture of a side-by-side McKinley in Nutshell News years ago...)

Gail - Would love to see pictures of your Victorianna! I found a kit on esty over the summer. I love it, and would love to have another! Pics of mine here. I changed the layout and added an addition. (I also have a half scale Chantilly that I am trying to change also).

I glanced at the above post regarding wallpaper - I have to say that I do like Itsy but I try to order all my sheets at once and hpe I have extra and not have to get more. One thing that irked me is that it was costing me the same for her to ship to me full scale papers in a box that it was half scale papers in a envelope. So now when I place my order I remind her that I am ordering half scale papers only and shipping should reflect that. She does reduce the shipping - but I have to mention it each time I order.

• Like 1

Audra, the high shipping is why I ordered through my local shop rather than on the website. Good to know that she'll adjust the shipping (but still, the site should do that automatically!)

I just bought myself a 1/2" Thornhill for Christmas! Just the shell. I had been thinking about this house back when I got the Queen Anne Rowhouse, and then decided I didn't need another new house. Right around the same time I discovered that my local shop had a completed Thornhill for a great price around the same price as the shell and component kit cost. It was not the style I wanted -- it's the colonial, and I wanted the one with the slanted roof -- plus it didn't come with interior window trim, which would have been a real pain with the Palladian windows. But I kept looking at it and thought maybe I would buy it someday. They also had the shell I liked for $105 -- a great price, but the box looked kind of battered. (Plus our sales tax has gotten so high the price would have been more like $115.) And I convinced myself I didn't *need* it...

Well, today a shell I'd been watching on eBay, that was originally $150, dropped to $100 with free shipping. I couldn't resist! I probably won't get the component pack because I have some different ideas for what I want to do with the windows and the inside rooms... and I'm not going to get to this right away, anyway. Got other houses in line. But hey, it's December, and I figured I deserved a little Christmas treat. :lol:

Has anyone built this in half scale? If yes, I'd love to see pics! I haven't been able to find many pictures of the Thornhill's interior online.

Thanks, Holly! I'm excited about it, but it'll probably go on the shelf for a while at least. I need to finish some of the stuff I'm working on to make space for such a massive house. (I can only imagine how much space is needed for the 1:12 version!)

I've just posted the details of my sad experience with half scale Cir-Kit lights on my blog. If I had known how inferior these are to the Houseworks lights I would have made a different purchase decision in the beginning (and saved myself more than a hundred bucks...) I'm not sure if the blog gets across how frustrating this whole snafu was, but hopefully the info will be helpful to someone in the future who's trying to decide which lights to buy.

Good morning all,

Sorry that I didn't respond to your questions,health issues for many of my family have come up. I've packed up minis until after holidays but I will try and post all the pictures in my camera.

Thank you to all of you for letting me be a watcher. :borg:

• Like 1

Me again, had to share, I had been communicating with a lady that had a 1/2" scale house on Craig's list. Well, she e-mailed my that the house was sold. I was so depressed(it was my birthday to add to that) Anyway, none of my "kids" came to see me, I thought oh well, phone calls did come. Around 10:00pm I get a knock on the door, my one daughter pulls her dad to the kitchen, minute later she gets me.......on the kitchen table was the dollhouse with a bow on it. They had all chipped in. Tears flowed. Overwelming to say.....

Well, Happy Holidays all.

Gail

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Hope everyone had a good holiday. New years resolutions are starting for me......did some painting today on my rowhouse,( keep putting off the front step that was missing when i got her) Also, started a 1" project for daughter#2, long story short, I got a RGT country store to be a shell store. (Her 1st. shell store got thrown out by her x.)

Tomorrow, shelves, both 1" and 1/2", this should take the whole day with the help of my cats. LOL. keep you posted. :bear:

• 4 weeks later...

At the beginning I was afraid to start my new project (a Tudor period house) in this smaller scale but after surfing the web for a while, I found quite a reasonable amount of furniture, accessories and dolls...there are some great artisans out there who also accept commissions and are ready to satisfy our wishes

• Like 1

Who is the artist who makes and dresses the 1:12 dolls you use? When I went to 1:24 I found myself making everything from either kits or "scratch" because the affordable ready-made things tended to be out of scale.

I find a lot of 1/2 scale Bespaq pieces on eBay. But when I do find Cassidy Creation furniture kits, they tend to go for more than the Bespaq! :lol: There are some furniture kits by other manufacturers available, but they are pricey for drawers and cupboards that don't open and fairly simple in design so I'd rather make it from scratch than pay for those type of kits.

But I keep finding more and more in half scale and its great!

I got some 1:24 kits for La Casita that had working drawers when made up, only the drawers didn't fit once they were made up (I expect the moisture of the fresh glue made the wood in the drawer swell just enough)

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished crocheting a half-scale Granny afghan using really, REALLY fine 100% silk thread. It's in my Etsy shop and an image is also in my gallery here.

I wonder, do I have the courage to attempt one of my Victorian lace afghans with one of the gorgeous colors of I have in this truly lovely thread? Hmmmmmm.....get back to you later on that one! :)

• Like 1