Curiosity about 1/2" scale

CatColorado

My first flirtation with 1:24 was the "pueblo" kit from HBS with the Houseworks components, so the door was pinhinged. I used it for the bathroom door; only one upgrade door came in the upgrade package, so I made the other two doors and hinged them with chamois strips.

I used hinges on the door in the cabin. I think it's the first time I've used real hinges in half scale. I hinged it to a piece of trim outside of the house and then glued the trim in. I don't think I would have been able to get my hands in to apply the hinges straight to the house. Here's some info about how I did it.

In other cases, I've used the Houseworks doors that come pre-hinged. I made pantry doors in the Fairfield and pin hinged those.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe I found all of you. I Love 1/2" scale.It has been a long time since I have crafted, but I just retired and am finishing up alot of undone work. Some of which are 1/2" projects.The way I was able to get 1/2" scale accessories was that I was in a swap when I was on AOL(way back when) It was all over the world and all hand-made and all skills. That was really fun, you put your swap in old plastic photo film containers mailed them to one person who divided them up and sent them out. (Am I dating myself..lol) I enjoy reading all of your posts, thank you.

Gail

Very nice! I think it is an Elizabeth Anne without the tower. I love all the details in the kitchen and bedroom. Lots of great accessories in there, and fun that many of them came from a swap!

Do you think you'll do another 1/2" house or are you going to try a different scale now?

I'm looking for lighting options for my Queen Anne rowhouse without breaking the bank. Not thrilled with the half scale stuff that's readily available. Has anyone successfully used 1" light fixtures in a half scale house?

For example, maybe something like this could be turned upside-down and used as a ceiling fixture? (It's 2.5 inches high so it would have to be a taller than standard room.)

Or this one seems just the right dimensions for a half scale house...

Oooo, sweet idea with the first lamp. I think the second would work too. I think the dimensions are correct, but if you are like me, you've got to see it. I've been toying with using 1 inch lights in my half inch houses, but I don't use wiretape and will either need wired or LED lights. I'm trying to figure out how to adapt LEDs to half inch.

Hi everyone,

Still trying to move around this site. People have asked questions and I can't answer them alone, it goes to the end of a comment list, am I correct?

About "Maggie's House": yes, the gym equipment is magnet. They were big back in the day. Not sure if you can still find them.The chair and foot stool were made by someone doing the mini swap on AOL in the 1990's.We sent our swap to one person and she divided them into the groups and when you got your package, it was truly Christmas. What did i do with the house, I gave it to Maggie, it is being displayed in the livingroom.(She is a teenager)

My next project, I took a old disarrayed lundby hose, re papered it for Christmas and will be using more items from my stash of over twenty years. (1" scale this time)

On the 1/2" note, going to put a store in a small wooden bread box. Boy, retirement isn't boring.(hehe)

Gail

Still trying to move around this site. People have asked questions and I can't answer them alone, it goes to the end of a comment list, am I correct?

Hi Gail. If you want to respond to more than one message in a thread, hit the MultiQuote button for each one, then click on the "Reply to x messages" box that will appear in the lower right corner of the screen. You can edit out extraneous materials.

I sure do agree that retirement isn't boring. There aren't enough hours in the day!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question about half scale stairs. I have a half scale RGT colonial and really want to add a second story staircase but I've noticed a huge difference between the houseworks staircases and the one that. Ones with the kit. The houseworks is much larger all around. Which is more to scale? I was going to email RGT about getting a second staircase it want to make sure it is in scale.

I usually cut down the Houseworks stairs. I've been looking at lots of old houses (and even my own newer house) and notice that stairs aren't the same in every house. Some older ones have much narrower stairs, some newer ones have wider. And building codes vary, so I think you should make them the width that is esthetically pleasing to you.

What I noticed with the houseoworks stairs is the railings. I have the half scale victoriana and replaced the stairs (and added another set). The railings in the kit are perfect. Delicate like I would have expected. When I ordered additional railings for the porch - they were pretty bulky. I will probably end up getting laser cut railings.

Audra, I think that's because there are two different types of railings - the "porch railing" and the "staircase railing". Miniatures.com seems to only carry the porch railing in half scale (see here), but here's what I'm talking about in one inch scale: http://www.miniatures.com/Staircase-Landing-Handrail-P17200.aspx

I did a quick Google search and couldn't find the "staircase railing" in half scale online but I have purchased this at my local miniature shop. Maybe it's been discontinued (why would they do that?!). Also Northeastern Miniatures makes some hand rails that might work in half scale: http://www.northeasternscalelumber.com/shop/hand-rails.html