Oh My. I am not in a good mood.

Hallowell

Wow, am I grumpy :banana: . While watching dollhouse videos on You Tube this morning I heard a horrendous crash and a scream downstairs. For the second year in a row my Christmas tree fell down :) . Russ' mom was in the next room and the crash scared the life out of her. I was planning on taking the tree down this afternoon but not like this. I lost a ton of ornaments and some that I had collected with my mother many years ago :carrot: . So after a couple of beers a valium, and three hours of clean-up, here I am venting. At least the room got a good cleaning.

What a beautiful tree and what a beautiful setting. I empathize - our tree fell over this year too. The problem was that we didn't have time to go and cut a tree so we chose one from our property that needed removing because it was a fire hazard. The trunk was too small for the stand and splat over went the tree. I lost ornaments too but fortunately not too many. We ended to having to tie the tree to the wall.

It is a shame that you lost ornaments that meant so much too you.

Lisa R.

That really bites. Sorry. Since my kids were little (4 kids a dog and a cat) I have reinforced my tree to something each year. This year I was able to tie a shoe string around the trunk and tied it a curtain pull back thing that is screwed in. You can see the shoe string from the sides of the tree, but we have had a few mishaps that we don't chance it anymore.

Oh, I feel the stab in your heart from the loss. I treasure each of the family ornaments entrusted to me and would be devasted if they were to come to grief. Was one Valium enough? :)

Oh, Greg! I'm sooo sorry (and your tree is always so gorgeous!) Over the years a great number of my grandmother's glass ornaments just up & disintegrated in their boxes and when the last of them went I went with handmade ornaments that the kids and I had made and the last time we had a tree and it fell over was the last time I had a tree. While Valium AND alcohol are a very bad idea, I'm sending you a virtual shot of my 18-year-old single barrel Elijah Craig.

That is heartbreaking. One of the reasons we didn't put up a tree this year was fear of Abby knocking it over. We actually put the tree up and spent an evening getting her out of the upper branches, then decided that since no one would be here Christmas day, we'd just put it away. I am so sorry you lost precious ornaments, though!

been there, done that...

usually involves a cat.

Try to chill, or take a pill,

Wine is fine, don't let it spill while you...

find a gun set on 'stun'!

Check your sight, aim at one!

Don't fall prey to their vampish ways

Cats are guilty, most holidays! :)

Hugs and sympathy!

Gayle

been there, done that...

usually involves a cat.

Try to chill, or take a pill,

Wine is fine, don't let it spill while you...

find a gun set on 'stun'!

Check your sight, aim at one!

Don't fall prey to their vampish ways

Cats are guilty, most holidays! :banana:

Hugs and sympathy!

Gayle

:)

I never seem to find a tree with a wide enough base to fit our tree stand so it always invariably fell over. I know myself enough not to get breakable ornament (sadly, it's me usually, not the cats)... but I learned two years ago to reinforce the tree with a wire attached to two of those white sticky pull-tab hooks you can tack and easily remove. Then even if the tree wants to go in a direction, it can't!

My tree has fallen over at least once, every year for as long as I can remember. I can tie it to the wall, nail it to a base, make sure all the ornaments are spread all the way around so it ain't too heavy on 1 side, but it doesn't matter... At some point it will fall over, without fail, when you least expect it. Every glass ornament has been broken through the years, were replaced with plastic/styrofoam decorations. So now, it just doesn't matter if it falls...nothing breaks. Sorry to hear others have this problem too. I always thought it was just me, it happened too.

DH sells real estate, and took me to see a really large house, gorgeous place. It had an octagon shaped bare-wall closet with 12 ft ceilings and 10 ft doorways, like the rest of the house. These folks had a tree permanently set up, in a very permanent stand on wheels. Every year when Christmas is over, they just roll the tree back in the closet until next year. Now, that's a great idea-no way that thing was falling over! If I ever win the lottery, i'm having a tree and closet like that!

I lost treasured ornaments many years ago. It wasn't a cat, it was my boys who were the culprits. They slept in the front bedroom while DH #1 and I slept in the back bedroom. We didn't hear them get out of bed that morning or them pushing the coffee table to the tree (it had small wheels), climbed on the table and proceeded to strip the tree of every glass ornament they could reach. To make matters worse, they dumped out the monopoly game. I was thankful they didn't have cut feet but they came close to not having a Christmas at all that year. I took the bare tree out of the house and waited a week before I brought it back inside. Plastic, styrofoam or handmade ornaments were all I put on the trees after that episode.

Wow Gayle! How old were they when they did this? My twins raided a cupboard and dumped all the cereal on the floor when I was upstairs, but they couldn't have been 3 at the time.

Maybe one day you will be able to look back and laugh at this :lol: ...maybe

That is a tragedy and I am sorry about it. I did not have any of the glass ornaments put on the tree this year because of Oliver. Surprise Surprise Surprise! He did not try to scale it. Not once.

I think you should anchor it down also.

It was a beautiful tree this year Greg!