Styrene tubing beads

Jackiem

I promise I will learn to use this site the right way, I posted this letter in the wrong place, so I will try again.

I made my first bed with the Styrene tubing beads! I also made a towel bar, I think I am going to have fun with this.

post-2484-1233259676_thumb.jpg

post-2484-1233259691_thumb.jpg

Jackie, you nearly got me in trouble until I pointed out to my husband that there are wooden boat kits available at this site, too. So, I have an order of tubing and some other bits and bobs as well as a small boat kit ordered. :lol:

Your beautiful bed got me thinking that the Bohemian hotel rooms might have iron bedsteads. Thanks for the inspiration.

Like Holly, I am wondering about the curves ... is there wire inside or does this bend and hold its shape with heat? Any hints you have for working with this material would be most appreciated!

Did you use wires inside the styrene?

I did use wire in parts of it, but not in the curved area, I found that when the wire was in any curved area, the tubing would crack, but maybe I was bending to hard. I used weights to hold the curved shape after I glued. The spindels are a piece of wire, with bits of tubing and beads. The beads on top were just glued onto a head pin and placed on top, going into the tube, with glue. I cut everything with scissors, but could not get a good cut it never cut straight, so I started using a razor blade to get a clean cut.

I just got measurments for a bed and started looking at brass beds to get an idea of what I wanted.

I do need to use another glue, any ideas?

Jackie, you nearly go me in trouble

Kathie,

I know what you mean when this site was 1st posted the first thing I did was do a search for the tubing and placed my order, I usually have to think real hard before I buy something, but I knew I had to try it. http://www.inpayne.com/dollhouse/dollhouse12a2.html

Tenax-7R is what I'm using for the White Orchid and it is also recommended for styrene. It welds the pieces pf Sintra (a solid PVC vinyl) together without distorting the surfaces. I'm hoping it will work the same way on the styrene. I bought it in a hobby shop that mostly carries model trains and the plastic buildings, automotive & airplane models, and other supplies used in modeling.

I like the style of the bed! Mine will be spray painted gold, to look like brass! Thanks for posting! I have this glue called Special T. My BIL, gave me a bunch for XMAS, and it has a long nose needle type tip on it. He uses it for rebuilding pianos. What I'm getting at is the Quick Grip mess you mentioned. There's a blue tube called Omni stick wich is basically the same stuff, and has that tip attachment with it. It makes much less mess, as you can get it where it's going without so much excess dripping out. When a glue works, I don't like trying something else, that may just frustrate me! Do try the Omni stick, I'm certain you'll be pleased with the results.