Favorite Dollhouse Book

Laurennie

So far my favorite inspiration book is Victorian Dollhouses by Nick Fordor. I bought it as a kid on the clearance rack at Barnes and Noble and I have poured over it since. There's just so much great stuff in there!!!

I was thinking of maybe putting some books on my Christmas list... any ideas? I especially love the Victorian era.

I don't have too many books, but I have this one I bought bc it was actually at Borders one day when we were there (of course there were like a million scrap booking books, and one mini book) called Dollhouse Style by Kath Dalmeny that has projects from all different time periods up to modern. But as I like modern stuff so much, The Modern Dolls House by Jean Nisbitt is awesome! It has so many great pictures and some projects and all in all is wonderful if you ever venture to do a more modern house (though it does have stuff in it starting with Edwardian).

A book that I have found mini-inspiration in is "Tasha Tudor's Dollhouse" - it has lovely photos of her dollhouse and even though she collected in a larger scale, it's still gorgeous to look at the photos.

I have a lot of miniature books with great photos -I think I'll go look at them and come back with a list for you. There are some great ones out there.

I like the Nick Fordor book too.

I have some books that were my grandmothers that I have glanced at a lot. She really liked the older period, and I like the current. I have the books posted in my gallery under books if anyone wants to trade. She had a lot of pattern books that are 'gently used'. Some of the pages are cut out, and sitting in the books lose. They also have a few of her notes on them.

To be totally honest, and having never looked into a dollhouse book recently my favourite dollhouse book was a fictional story that I read as a child. I still have the book and my kids love hearing it. It is "When the Dolls Woke" by Marjorie Filley Stover. I don't know if anyone from here has heard of it but it was a great book. And the reason why I wanted a dollhouse when I was a child.

My favorite of my collection is "Making Dolls' House Interiors" by Carol and Nigel Lodder. I've mentioned this book before, but it's become my bible for building furniture. My current house has most of the furniture built from this book. The instructions are a little different than regular how-to books, but I love this book.

I have threateened to start a blog with all the dh & mini-making books I have, but so far no one seems interested. I think the two I've used the most are by Helen Ruthberg on making miniature accessories from "found" things.

I have threateened to start a blog with all the dh & mini-making books I have, but so far no one seems interested. I think the two I've used the most are by Helen Ruthberg on making miniature accessories from "found" things.

:D Interested for sure!!!! :p

Hugs

To be totally honest, and having never looked into a dollhouse book recently my favourite dollhouse book was a fictional story that I read as a child. I still have the book and my kids love hearing it. It is "When the Dolls Woke" by Marjorie Filley Stover. I don't know if anyone from here has heard of it but it was a great book. And the reason why I wanted a dollhouse when I was a child.

Nechee

Were you a child in the "50's?? When I was in third grade our teacher read to us every afteroon after lunch. I remember her reading about the dolls who woke up while the children were sleeping. I remember the housekeeper doll had only one leg. I have always wanted to track that book down and read it again. she also read us one called Lazy Liza Lizard. she was a crafty character and Mr Frog was the dignified gentleman. I have never tracked tht one down either.

In first grade we had a dollhouse in the back of the classroom and if we were good and got good grades we were allowed specail times to go paly there. I have always loved dollhouses since. I check out what few miniature books our library has. last night I checked out " All about Doll Houses" by Barbara L Farlie.. She has instructions on how to make a brass bed out of knitting needles. i want a brass bed for the Garfield.

Anna a blog listing mini making books would be great. We could add as we find them

Rita

No I was a child in the "80's". The book I have does not have a housekeeper with only one leg. She is a rag doll stuffed with cotton. The other dolls are bisque. I still remember their names (doen't hurt that I am actually reading the book to my kids while they go to bed) Lady Alice, Sir Gregory, Maribelle, Tommy and Baby Winky. The housekeepers name was Becky and the other house maids name was Martinique. I adored this book. And I just recent;y found out that the author wrote a prequel to the story. Called "Midnight in the Dollhouse"

That book your teacher read sounds fantastic. I am going to have to track that one down as well.

Oh be still my heart, would you do something as wonderful as that for us? What makes you think that there was no interest? Go ahead and make my day. :D

I have 3 books, and I plan to buy a lot more. All 3 of them got 5 star ratings at amazon.

1. Making Miniature Food, by Angie Scarr.

Very clear photos and text. Recipes for fimo mixtures. Includes making a basic market stall, a crate and a basket for showing off your food. The book starts with simple projects, like a baguette, and builds up in complexity. Judging by the reviews even a novice can be successful.

2. Doll's House Furniture, by Freida Gray.

Furniture projects in 1/12 scale. Great book. It uses color codes for the thickness of the wood and other components like for example clear plastic. The book includes some lovely furniture where you make use of ready made turned components, such as spindles or posts. The book includes some garden furniture as well, for example a picknick table and some bird houses.

3. The Big Book of the Doll's House, by Jean Nisbett.

Also a great book, and very educational on a wide range of styles and eras. At the end there's a small chapter on 1/24. The book includes do it yourself projects, but not as many as I anticipated. However, it truly is an inspiration. I thoroughly enjoyed the extended chapter on room boxes and scenes. And for the Tudor fans: it contains lots of good advice for an authentic look of your Tudor homes.

Oh, I thought I'd mention another book, since you love the Victorian era. I haven't got it yet. It's "Curtains", by Sue Heaser. There's a lot of examples for Victorian curtains in it.

Here are more good mini books.

Make Your own Dollhouses and Dollhouse Miniaures by Marvin Maeve O'Brian

The Encyclopedia of Dollhouse Decorating Techniques William Davis, Caroline List and Nick Forder

The Beginners Guide to Doll's House Hobby by Jean Nisbett

Exclusive Dollhouses from Kits by Robert Schlucher

Dollhouse Style by Kathy Dalmany

Making Doll's House Interiors in 1/12 Scale by Carol & Nigel Lodder.

I find most of my books at sales. Our bookstore carries none. Rita

I don't own any books (like a lot here my local bookstores don't carry them) but I get them from my library. I LOVE the 'Do It Yourself' range. They have very clear easy to follow projects that use basic tools and supplies. They are maybe a bit basic for some, but perfect for me!

Food Displays: Step-By-Step Instructions for over 40 Projects (Dolls House Do-It-Yourself)​ By Sue Heaser

Embroidered Projects: Step-By-Step Instructions for over 30 Projects (Dolls House Do-It-Yourself)​ by Sue Hawkins

Dolls House Do-It-Yourself:​ Carpets and Rugs by Sue Hawkins

Dolls House Do-it-Yourself - Curtains by Sue Heaser

The list goes on.....

Borders used to carry a few of that series, but they are so terribly expensive to buy new! Whenever I can find books used or remaindered I grab them fast! The one I had to let get away because even its used price was 'way beyond my budget was one of the volumes of Mott's Workshop furniture drawings...

I haven't read any dollhouse building/craft books, thanks for some good ideas.

However, I read a book when a child that I just adored. Read, re-read ect; The book made me want a dollhouse so badly!!! It was Behind the Attic Wall by Sylvia Cassedy.

S