Hi from Tennessee

wanderinon

Hi!

My name is Lori, and I just joined. I generally read a whole lot of posts to get the "feel" for a forum before I introduce myself, but as this is a large group, I thought it might be good to just get out there and jump in.

I freely admit, I am an infant in the world of miniatures. When I started getting interested in them, I thought they were just cute little things that people bought on a whim. I am a bit red-faced now, as I learn just how extensive and involved dollhouse building and miniature collecting can be.

I noticed there are a lot of people from Michigan; that's where I'm originally from, and where my family still is, so maybe sometime when I'm visiting home, I'll pass one or two of you in Frankenmuth!! (I live in Tennessee now.)

So nice to meet you all, and I look forward to learning from the best!!

Hello and welcome to the forum. Don't feel too bad, we were all infants in this hobby at one time. I'm still learning how to do things and having a wonderful time. This is the best place to be, if you have questions, just ask. Someone will help you with the answer.

Welcome to the "little" family, Lori. Everyone begins any new venture as a total newbie/ babe in the woods. Everytime I open a kit box I still get the newbie shakes, and every new thing I try the first time I'm still a baby at it. I think it's part of the attraction.

Are you planning to build a kit or do you have a completed house; and, if so, which one? Do you plan to make your own minis to go into it or are you a collector?

Mini years ago we lived in Signal Mountain, TN, and this summer we discovered NE TN around the Bristol/ Johnson City area. Where do you live?

Thank you all for the welcome!!

To answer your questions...

Havana, I don't have a dollhouse at the moment, but I saw one in an antique shop that I'm eyeing up. It's definitely in need of some TLC, and I was thinking it would be a good winter project. And I plan to both buy and make the mini's. I already make wedding cakes and baked goods. And as to where I live, it's half way between Pigeon Forge and Townsend in the Wears Valley area...SOOOOO pretty here. I can't wait for fall...

Chesterfieldzoo, I would love to come there in October, but I'm afraid that will have to wait a little longer. We just moved, and you know how that is...takes a couple of months to catch up. But I haven't been home in a while, so I'm thinking maybe after the new year. I'll keep an eye out for you all!

Again, thank you for the welcome. I can already tell this is a really good forum. :blink:

Good on you, Lori. I resisted rehabbing old/ unfinished/ badly done houses until two years ago, and it was an abysmal failure so far as what I wanted to accomplish with it, but things fell out (apart, actually) with my receiving another hose last year that more than met my requirements & expectations; so now I have a couple of more derelicts to try to resurrect into something nice. I also have a DH who keeps us busy enough I have to get really assertive to get any mini-ing time. Do share before, during & after pictures with us.

Gayle, I wouldn't be bored; I love to hear about other people (my life is not the most exciting!!) -

Audra (right?), my family all lives in the Midland area. It's only about 45 minutes from Frankenmuth, and if I ever move back up that way (doubtful), Frankenmuth is where I would settle. - And yes, this whole area thrives on weddings; LMAO In fact, it's a little TOO easy to get married here. Not quite as easy to get UNMARRIED, though!!!

Jeninky, that would be AWESOME! (when you have a Sevierville ID, you get into all the shows and attractions really cheap; we could have lots of fun). I thought Berea was close, but I wasn't sure! -

Holly, we'll have to compare notes on refurbishing. I've never done a dollhouse, let alone one that's falling apart. I plan to take my time and have a lot of fun with it.

And everyone else- thanks again for the warm welcome. I'm having so much fun with this forum I'm neglecting everything else!!

...Holly, we'll have to compare notes on refurbishing. I've never done a dollhouse, let alone one that's falling apart. I plan to take my time and have a lot of fun with it...
Lori, my sweet, take a look at my "Laurel rehab" album to see what I consider a successful rehab (my first one was a disappointment, but this one did just what it was supposed to do)

...Holly, we'll have to compare notes on refurbishing. I've never done a dollhouse, let alone one that's falling apart. I plan to take my time and have a lot of fun with it...
Lori, my sweet, take a look at my "Laurel rehab" album to see what I consider a successful rehab (my first one was a disappointment, but this one did just what it was supposed to do)