Hi from michigan

tnow

Hi, I just go my first house, a dura craft shenandoah, it needs a lot of repairs. I have never done anything with doll houses and thought it would be a fun project. I am also looking at a couple kits on ebay to start a house from scratch when i get the shenandoah fixed up.

I thought joining this group would be a good source of inspiration and help when I get stuck.

You are right. There are many members here who have a lot of experience.

Take a tour of the forums and look at the other members gallerys. there are some beautiful dollhouses and it might give you some ideas about what kit you want to start with. Also Overstock.com has some dollhouses and shipping is only 2.95. Good luck!

Welcome!! I am also from Michigan. What area are you from? There are only 3 dollhouse shops left in this state. One in Plymouth, Frankenmuth and Grand Rapids. I typicaly mail order supplies. Hobby Lobby has some things... Can't wait to see your house!

Welcome to still another Tracy! We're glad you're here, and that from the start you realize that dollhouses are like potato chips! All questions are welcome and bashing has developed into its own art form.

Hello and welcome to the forum! This is the place for all the information you will need to have to complete your projects! Jump right in and remember no question is too silly to ask on here! We were all newbies once......

Welcome Tracy! :whistle:

Glad you found us! I'd like to second what Wolfie said about questions, and add that even if a question has been asked before, with so many new faces there's bound to be some new answers!

Hi, another new member and also a Michiganian from the southeast. Normally, I'm a food artisan, but needed a place to put all the foods that kept piling up.

I had read the posting about Michigan dollhouse shops. There are more than a few, but not all the same quality. The largest (and most complete) is Rau's Country Store in Frankenmuth; Muriel's Dollhouse Shop - Plymouth, Pat's Village - Dearborn, Miniature Makers - Royal Oak, there's also the one in Grand Rapids, one in Muskegon and one in Holland.

I got lucky by living just one block away from Scott's Publications --Miniature Collector Magazine's--sales office :lol: Right now I'm finishing up a Halloween/Apothecary shop commission for Rau's.

Has anyone used "craft sticks" (Michael's) for hardwood flooring? If so, any tips on installation and spacing? Thanks!!! :D

Hi, another new member and also a Michiganian from the southeast. Normally, I'm a food artisan, but needed a place to put all the foods that kept piling up.

I had read the posting about Michigan dollhouse shops. There are more than a few, but not all the same quality. The largest (and most complete) is Rau's Country Store in Frankenmuth; Muriel's Dollhouse Shop - Plymouth, Pat's Village - Dearborn, Miniature Makers - Royal Oak, there's also the one in Grand Rapids, one in Muskegon and one in Holland.

I got lucky by living just one block away from Scott's Publications --Miniature Collector Magazine's--sales office :) Right now I'm finishing up a Halloween/Apothecary shop commission for Rau's.

Has anyone used "craft sticks" (Michael's) for hardwood flooring? If so, any tips on installation and spacing? Thanks!!! :)

Hi, Heddy. I imagine the only closer to Heaven to live would be in Schenevus, NY! IMO MC is the only remaining truly American miniature publication, since the other two are owned by an English publishing company.

Peggi, among several others, has used the craft sticks for flooring. I used the veneer strips that Dura-Craft included in their kits, and I used Elsmer's contact cement (rubber cement) to apply them, painting it all over the floor and then going back & applying some to one side of the "board"; After I lay a couople of rows I go back and burnish them into place with the back of an old teaspoon bowl. I also scribe "boards" directly into the plywood, and I also use the self-stick vinyl flooring from the GL store. For a "staggered" look I space the next row of boards 2"-3" from the end of the boards in the preceding row. Take a look at houses under construction; floorboard are laid across the joists, so imagine the direction your house's joists would run and lay your flooring perpendicular to where they would be for a realistic look.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...