Please Help ID this House

eshalom

Hello:

This is my first post to this forum - I AM a pilgrim!

I wonder if anyone can help ID this house I recently bought on eBay - the dimensions are quite large:

42" wide x 24" deep x 51" tall. As one might imagine, for a house this size, it is very sturdily built and rather heavy.

The exterior has been very well done, but the interior is unfinished.

Photo has been attached.

I don't know if this a clue or not - there was a small bag of tiny bricks made by S/W crafts, but the builder might have just bought this item from them.

Thanks !!!

Ed

post-3051-1207926167_thumb.jpg

Welcome, Ed, and don't be shy about introducing yourself to everyone at the Newcomers' Forum, too. Pictures from other angles (and interior) might help; from where I sit many features remind me of Dura-Craft, only I don't remember a kit this big; maybe a bash?

Hello there!

Looking at the windows and such..it screams DuraCraft. But i am most likely wrong. Maybe it is in Newt`s gallery.

Edit: I just went thru Newt`s gallery and did not see any that looked like your house. Sorry I could not help further.

Is it made of MDF?

I have a s/w crafts missouri farmhouse. It has similarities....but mine isn't as large and mine is rather plain...wish i had not deleted the photo of it. it might be under Newt's gallery of houses so you can see the similarities. I haven't built it yet and it's under a large stack of dollhouses in the basement so i don't want to dig thru the pile. i'm sure there are some s/w craft houses under newt's gallery tho....

Ed, beautiful house. You got it off of Craig's List didn't you - I have seen it offered there. Your house is the Elliot Bay by Victorian Times. They were a manufacturer of Victorian shells back in the 80's and early 90's (they did not offer kits). If you purchase any of the old Nutshell News mags from that time period you will see their ads. Also if you do a search on this forum of Victorian Times or the Captain Joseph Angel house (which was also one of their shells) you might find some more info. I believe I have posted about the company here before. I have listed a link below to a Webshot's album showing pics of an Elliot Bay inside and out. If the link does not work go to Webshots and enter: ebonyrose. Have fun with your new house!

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/59638494QFMmKx

Valerie

California

Dear Greenleaf friends and aficionados:

I've been overwhelmed by your kindness and interest.

Even for a "pilgrim", this must be beginner's luck.

In looking more carefully at this house, I saw a little brass plaque on the corner that tells it all:

Built by "Angela's Miniature World, 1989"

It appears that Angela's (named for Angela Tringali) is still in business in Camarillo, CA.

I will try to contact her ASAP.

It does seem this design is very derivative, which is why some of you have flagged it's orgin.

If I confirm the source, I will report to you all.

Perhaps Angela will be interested in creating a replica.

I'll still endeavour to put up some images of her craftmanship.

Thanks to all again, and again....

Ed

It is from the 1980's or earlier. I had a shell built by NW Woodcrafters (Vancouver WA) that looks just like it. I only know the maker because it came with all the origional receipts. In my case someone bought the house and everything to finish it in at a show in 1978 for lots of dollars then never did anything at all with it. I found in on Craigs list for $150.00 including enough "extras" to finish two large houses.

When it comes to dollhouses, I am so glad, there are people like this, willing to shop impulsively so I can get a great deal 25 years later! Now when it comes to people buying pets on impulse that does not make me happy at all... Right now we have three (purebred) dogs here in our rescue that I picked up from doggie death row at the shelter last week. Two of them where purchased as Christmas gifts just a couple of months ago!

Rant (sorry in advance):

Very stupid people who think the shelter actually finds homes for dogs. I think they need to watch a film on what will most likely happen to the dog before they leave it at the shelter, better yet before that impulsively buy a dog!. There should also be a law fining anyone who breeds a dog to sell "Christmas puppies"

• 2 months later...

What a beautiful house! I was thinking the people who made the Joseph Angel house might have made this one too....always wanted the Joseph Angel........beautiful and elegant, stately, and a dream!

Agnes I totally agree with everything you have said. Those people also impulsively buy chicks, ducks and bunnies for their kids on Easter too....and no one knows what happens to those poor babies...... If I could take one of the dogs off your hands I would, but you are way too far away for me!

• 1 month later...

It's unlike any dollhouse I've seen and I have a good eye for details, it sure is a beautiful house tho. Is it made of plywood or a heavier milled wood? That often helps in identification. I love the two-story turret room. It's a house with a lot of interesting architectural detailing whatever it is.