What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

One of the reasons I've chosen not to move while I'm in retirement  is that my town/city has everything within 2-4 miles from my house in south Florida. Well, I guess since the Lowes is about 5 miles away, Lowes is building a new sister hardware store called Orchard Hardware about 2 miles away. Never heard of them before, mostly a California based store from what I understand.  Is anyone familiar with this company?

I'm just sitting here waiting for this freaking heat wave to be over. We've has a nice cool summer and now for the last week we've had temps in the upper 80s and 90s. I think it was 94° here yesterday.

Lisa will hopefully come over this Sunday and we'll try to get my house primed. I was hoping to get something done on it before she got here, but it's been too danged hot. :mad:

5 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

I'm just sitting here waiting for this freaking heat wave to be over. We've has a nice cool summer and now for the last week we've had temps in the upper 80s and 90s. I think it was 94° here yesterday.

Lisa will hopefully come over this Sunday and we'll try to get my house primed. I was hoping to get something done on it before she got here, but it's been too danged hot. :mad:

Please tell me you finally got your air conditioner.

14 hours ago, Sable said:

One of the reasons I've chosen not to move while I'm in retirement  is that my town/city has everything within 2-4 miles from my house in south Florida. Well, I guess since the Lowes is about 5 miles away, Lowes is building a new sister hardware store called Orchard Hardware about 2 miles away. Never heard of them before, mostly a California based store from what I understand.  Is anyone familiar with this company?

I Googled and the company is Orchard Supply Hardware.  I had never heard of them, but I expect some of our CA members will let us know about it.

Today I decorated 9 dozen cupcakes for a wedding! (friend of DD#1)  Tomorrow my DD#2 will drive with me to deliver them into the Philly area.  She had lived in that area for about 5 years, so she wanted to go with me to make sure I don't get lost  :)   The DNC may be over, but traffic could still be crazy!  Mostly I am just thankful that due to our current heat wave, the bride decided that the best place for the cupcake display was NOT in the tent, but rather inside the parlor of the venue house!

23 hours ago, Sable said:

Please tell me you finally got your air conditioner.

Oh, I got it and it's still sitting in a box on the floor. Our maintenance guy said he would help me put it in the window, but as our windows are casement type (only opening from the bottom) and about 5 ft wide, I need to buy some wood. Jim said if I bought the wood, he'd saw it, bolt it to the wall, and install the air conditioner. But silly me, thinking there's only about 4 weeks of summer left, decided that I'd just wait and put it in next spring. It's been (was) a pretty cool summer up to this point. But I'm on the third floor and I love looking out the window. Once the air conditioner is in, I wouldn't be able to do that without climbing on a cabinet and balancing on the dollhouse. So for this week all I've done is wring out a wet T-shirt and wear that all day for a week straight. Supper doesn't get started till 10pm some nights.

I should also add that my main occupation this last week has been binge watching Breaking Bad and when I went to check out my car today - it was giving me trouble coming home from NAME - there wasn't a thing wrong with it. The engine light is still on, but the car is running fine now. Go figure.

22 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I Googled and the company is Orchard Supply Hardware.  I had never herd of them, but I expect some of our CA members will let us know about it.

I remember Orchard Supply! They're just a general hardware store and carry a lot of stuff. Usually they have a plant section, too. I got all my dirt and tomato plants from them - the ones that ended up spreading over 10 sq ft because I didn't know enough to stake them.

9 hours ago, Sable said:

We have Orchard Supply Hardware stores here in California.  They are owned by Sears.  I will sometimes stop in one when I want to avoid the hugeness (is that a word) of Home Depot or Lowes.  Their prices are considerably higher on everything.

I am going to attend my first webinar this afternoon, a class on researching ancestors in the Alsace-Lorraine area of France.  One of Lloyd's brick walls stands firmly in that area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

I am going to attend my first webinar this afternoon, a class on researching ancestors in the Alsace-Lorraine area of France.  One of Lloyd's brick walls stands firmly in that area.

My great grandmother was from there. Our next trip to Europe will cover that area.

19 minutes ago, Sable said:

My great grandmother was from there. Our next trip to Europe will cover that area.

I'm hoping our next trip to Europe will go there as well. Need to do some preliminary research before landing with both feet. Am hoping to find a local genealogist to sort through the records (in both French and German!) before we arrive. I've written to all of the people in that area who share our surname (Tenette) and got a few responses, but no connecting information. I got the contact information from a French telephone book on line. Gotta love the internet. :D 

• Like 1

This afternoon my daughter and I delivered the cupcakes to Philly.  The venue was a beautiful old estate house that would make the most wonderful dollhouse! LOL  While we were waiting for the caterer to set up the table, I walked around taking pictures of the architectural details for dollhouse inspiration!  :)

Dang-  I don't know how to compress pics with my new computer....   :/   Well, you will have to take my word for it - it was awesome!  The cupcakes were pretty awesome too!

I'm ranting here. My BIL passed away last month leaving a second home in NC with a con artist tenant in it. I swear this tenant killed him with all the stress he put my BIL through. I have 400 texts on his phone telling the tenant to leave. I'll never understand why my BIL just didn't go through a legal eviction process. Now it's my turn to get him out. Sucker doesn't know who he is up against.  I'm so looking forward to the day the sheriff padlocks this house with all his possessions in it. Bring it on!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sable said:

I'm ranting here. My BIL passed away last month leaving a second home in NC with a con artist tenant in it. I swear this tenant killed him with all the stress he put my BIL through. I have 400 texts on his phone telling the tenant to leave. I'll never understand why my BIL just didn't go through a legal eviction process. Now it's my turn to get him out. Sucker doesn't know who he is up against.  I'm so looking forward to the day the sheriff padlocks this house with all his possessions in it. Bring it on!  

In the UK, if you get an ruling in your favor from the court, you can go to the High Court and they will give you a writ so you can hire the sheriffs. For 65 pounds, they'll take the papers, evict the tenant, and then change the locks on the door. The ex-tenant gets 24 hours to come back and get their stuff. That system seems so much more sensible than ours. I was watching the Seasons 1 thru 5 of 'Here Come the Sheriffs' on Youtube.

On Saturday, July 30, 2016 3:55:27, jbnmini said:

This afternoon my daughter and I delivered the cupcakes to Philly.  The venue was a beautiful old estate house that would make the most wonderful dollhouse! LOL  While we were waiting for the caterer to set up the table, I walked around taking pictures of the architectural details for dollhouse inspiration!  :)

Dang-  I don't know how to compress pics with my new computer....   :/   Well, you will have to take my word for it - it was awesome!  The cupcakes were pretty awesome too!

Maybe this will help:

http://www.online-image-editor.com/

7 hours ago, Sable said:

Sorry for your loss, now this, but you go girl!

Sable,  

Squatters are such a pain.  Under Florida law, they don't have any rights, but law enforcement give them every protection (erroneously- they aren't knowledgeable of the laws for this kind of thing) and practically give away other people's homes until an attorney (or a very savvy homeowner who knows how to navigate the legal process) gets the freeloaders trespassed off the property.  Insane how petty thieves get hauled off to jail, but if someone tries to steal one of your most expensive investments, cops assist them with their crime.

Last week I got access to a loaner bike from a friend of mine who was doing some work on it.  The owner told him he could loan it to me, because she knew it wouldn't be good for it to sit without being ridden for too long.  I got it on Tuesday (8 days after the accident, way too long without a ride), but on Friday night/Saturday morning, it stalled in the middle of nowhere.  My friend installed a different exhaust pipe without adjusting the carburetors,  The best way to mess up the engine after an exhaust change.  I got her to run long enough to get home, but it needs work.  So, I haven't ridden since then, but I did get a ride to the motorcycle shop on Saturday.  I almost bought a really nice used 1,900 CC cruiser, but they were asking too much for a 10 year-old bike, so I told them I'd pay about $1,000 less.  They came back with paperwork jacking the price up an additional $3,000!  They may be under new ownership, but they're still crooks who think I don't know how to count.  I do believe subtracting is a big part of what we do here, isn't it?  I at least know how to divide by 12 :p

I'm also trying to see the positive side of a 36 lb weight loss.  It's nice to be back down to 170 and still falling, but I sure do miss my wife's cooking.  Even some Spartan stew might be good at this point.  From previous experience, I'll probably drop back down to my college weight, but I'm not sure 110 will look right.  I'll definitely need a new wardrobe. :D

My kids and their cousin inherited the house in North Carolina and my one son said, "I'll just move in".  I had to explain to him that it just doesn't work that way. Luckily, we have found a great attorney and he is on it. In NC you aren't considered a squatter until after 20 years and you have to be unknown to the owner. This character had an unwritten lease option to purchase the house. Supposedly he gave my BIL $20k as a deposit, which by law he has forfeited by not paying rent for over 2 years. Naturally, he wants the money back. He has also threatened to place a mechanics lien on the house for unauthorized tenant improvements he says he made to the house. He is a class 1 liar and we are treating him as such.  One tactic that deadbeat tenants on month to month leases can do is make a rental payment which continues the monthly lease, even after they receive the 7 day letter. Fortunately, I placed a hold on my BIL's bank account so that no deposits can be made to it.  Fun and games!

Once I get him kicked out, anyone interested in a lovely home in Wake Forest, NC OR a 38th floor double condo unit overlooking the Las Vegas Strip?

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2016‎ ‎6‎:‎55‎:‎27‎, jbnmini said:

16 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Maybe this will help:

http://www.online-image-editor.com/

THANKS!  :D

Here is the cupcake display from over the weekend.....  (in case you care)

oie_41420o5R5wzIC.jpg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

I'm home after going to my 8:20 PT appointment - after finding out it's at 11:20. Pah...............

Is it a phase of the moon? We were early for Lloyd's dental appointment this morning. He swore it was 9:15. We rolled in at 8:45, exactly an hour early. He swore the text reminder said 9:15 until he pulled it up and read 9:45. Oh, well. Better early than late. And I'd had the forethought to bring my Kindle. :)