What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Sounds like everybody is pretty busy these days!  

For me the County Fair Season has begun - I'm working 4 of them back-to-back this month.  These run 4-5 days each, with 12-hour workdays, and I work the whole show alone as a product demonstrator for a home-improvement company. Leaving today to head north about 120 miles (to Stanwood) to a Fair I haven't done before. Fortunately our heat has toned down a bit and it should be a bit cooler this weekend.

Packed in my work tote is my Minis-on-the-Go kit (formerly a jewelry case) with about 10 miniature furniture kits to build (1:144). :)  I can discreetly work on this at my table when there are no customers.  :construction:    Each kit is for a room full of furniture, with 2 to 6 pieces in each one.  I have no intention of getting bored!

• Like 1

To every one who has experienced the loss of loved ones recently, hugs & condolences.

Our youngest son (disabled) had a "friend" ask to let his son (early 30s) move in "until he could get on his feet" and over two years later this man was not only still sponging off our son, but had wrought some real damage to his house; and our son let slip some other information that convinced us this person had to go.  Because his dad had one in with our son to buy his house we had the legal right to evict this clown, which we did.  He fought it all the way to court, which meant some expense for us for filing the papers and then serving them; and when the judge told the man he had to have everything he owned out of the house by the next morning, the former roommate told the judge he needed time to find another place to live; the judge (bless his heart) replied, that was what the 15-day notice wed served him was for.

Sorry, Sable; we're in NC on our way to our VA son's, and I have never wanted to live in Las Vegas!

6 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

You're welcome and those look so good, I'm restraining myself from to licking the monitor!

LOL :drool2:  Flavors were chocolate with chocolate ganache and chocolate buttercream (my fav!), almond white with strawberry and French Buttercreme frosting, Butter yellow with chocolate buttercream, and chocolate with raspberry and French buttercreme frosting. 

The couple met in a cupcake shop, so thus the cupcakes.....and they played Scrabble on their epic first date- thus the Scrabble tiles.  :) 

• Like 2

I painted my bedroom ceiling yesterday. It took me 2 years to work myself up to it, so this is a big deal. The last time the ceiling was painted was when the house was built 19 years ago. When I went down to the basement to get out the power roller DH bought a few years ago I found that he didn't clean it very well, and and after spending half an hour trying to clean it I realized it was a hopeless task. I'm usually the one who does it, but that time he decided to do it himself. Of course, there was no store in my area that sold them, and I needed the one with the extension pole to do ceilings, so I ordered one from Amazon.

DH  said I should get DS#2 to paint the ceiling, but I quickly realized that wasn't going to work out too well. DS#2 absolutely sucked at ceiling painting. I decided it was better for me if I did most of it myself, and have him hold things for me and help move things around. It did make it the job a lot easier than it would usually have been. Also, he just found out he got the new job he wanted and all he could think about was getting the necessary paperwork done, and getting to the store to hand in his 2 weeks notice. His new job has regular hours, pays a bit better and has pretty much the same benefits as his present job. With regular hours and days off, maybe he can finally get a "life" and some time to enjoy himself once in a while and see friends, maybe have a chance to meet a girl now and then. 

Painting trim and walls is the next project. My son is much better at taping around trim and painting it than he is at ceilings. Painting walls is pretty easy, but it's a big room, so it'll take me a couple of days to do that. I've also been doing fiddly bits on my1:24 cottage. Almost everything I've been working on has to be less than 1/4" long. I don't see how people who exclusively work in half scale manage, unless maybe they don't feel they need as many accessories?

We are visiting our son & his wife in VA, arriving this afternoon after two days driving 350 miles & one 250 mile day; 3 interstate highways and the only hideous traffic was the expected Atlanta mess.

I'm concentrating on bringing my blood pressure down from yesterday.

Me and the car were at the shop at 9am, the mechanic asked if I could leave it, I said no (I'd already told him so over the phone), so I went back home and the car is scheduled for next Monday. I found out the codes say it's a camshaft sensor and those things aren't really expensive, so hopefully the bill won't be too much.

Went to pay my car insurance online and found out my card had a block on it. I panicked and ended up at Money Tree where the guy there called the company and got it sorted out. I went home and paid the insurance and also got some minutes put on my phone......

Tomorrow is grocery shopping, but not too far because I don't want to drive the car too much more, but today is for relaxing......and doing laundry.

And now someone is outside smoking and I can smell it here four floors up. I don't get the Northwest. It's supposed to be so healthy here, yet I've never seen a place where so many people smoke all the time. Totally weird.

Later today I'm going to binge watch the first half of Season 4 of Breaking Bad and eat peaches.

It has been a busy week.  On Tuesday, my dad was kind enough to give me a ride to a very small town about 65 miles away so I could look at and possibly buy a motorcycle to replace Old Blue (she wasn't that old, 9 years, but the longest I ever owned a vehicle).  It was pouring rain all the way there, but I was prepared.  I had all of my rain gear and about 90% of the asking price in cash.  I bought it and rode it right to work from there.  Rain isn't the best environment for a first ride on a new bike, but it didn't make much of a difference.  It's a massive 1,900 CC cruiser/touring bike. It also has a bypass valve in the exhaust baffles, so at 1/3 throttle, it's quiet like a sewing machine, which is perfect in the neighborhood and late at night, but anything over 1/3rd, it's loud!   And it's blue. :D

Yesterday I had my "post-OP" appointment with the orthopedic surgeon.  I was a bit confused by the type of visit, since I haven't been cut open deliberately in over 7 years.  I still can't believe they consider a closed reduction (relocation) of a dislocated joint, to be "surgery".  Heck, they didn't even use a local and it took 2 attempts. :dunno:

The good news is, I only have six fractures, all in the right foot, and I won't need a cast.  I was able to permanently remove the mummy wraps that have been cooking my leg for several weeks, too.  The torn quad tendon will take longer to heal, but I can walk pretty well, albeit with a limp for now.  What's really ironic, is that the car that hit me was totaled too.  Between the two vehicles and myself, I'm in the best shape of the 3.

I'll have to get some photos of it, but the law firm handling my PI case, is in a Victorian house just a couple of blocks from the real Sweet Water Branch Inn and was built around the same time.  They added a 2nd story and some additional floor space from the house's original footprint, but you would never know it just from looking at it.  It's definitely eye candy.

• Like 1

Monday we all went to Annapolis to spend the day.  The weather was lovely, not too hot (it has since gotten as hot as it was at home when we left).  Tuesday the DIL had to go back to work, but DS was still off, and he took us to Manassas to McKay's Used Books.  I found THREE books; one on accessories that is more a beginner's book that I shall probably pass along once we get back home; one with plans & directions for making Shaker furniture, and one with plans and directions for making Colonial furniture.

• Like 1

We're driving to Houston today but it has been raining hard since 4 am and the radar shows no let-up before late morning. Not too excited about starting out in a downpour. We may wait until later to set off. 

We finally received the Letter of Testamentary so my husband (actually me) can administer my BIL's estate. The NC tenant's eviction hearing is next Friday. The attorney will be going to court for us there. Meanwhile, we are heading back to Las Vegas tomorrow to deal with his main property. We will finally have access to his two large storage units which are loaded with furniture from the NC house. I'll be meeting with the estate liquidator on Tuesday so we can start paring down some of the condos furniture and stage it for sale.  I can't wait to get rid of all the guns and ammunition he has stored there! It's ridiculous! I guess he was ready to defend himself from the zombie apocalypse on the 38th floor of his condo!  Turns out, to make matters more complicated, the two condo units are in the name of a corporation he set up.  So in order for the heirs to inherit the proceeds from the sale, we have to prepare a Corporate Resolution to name the new owners and assign ourselves as officers so we can sell the units. More lawyer fees!  Two lawyers one in NC and one in NV, a tax accountant, two Realtors, an Estate Liquidator, a deadbeat tenant and little old me to coordinate them all. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sable said:

We finally received the Letter of Testamentary so my husband (actually me) can administer my BIL's estate. The NC tenant's eviction hearing is next Friday. The attorney will be going to court for us there. Meanwhile, we are heading back to Las Vegas tomorrow to deal with his main property. We will finally have access to his two large storage units which are loaded with furniture from the NC house. I'll be meeting with the estate liquidator on Tuesday so we can start paring down some of the condos furniture and stage it for sale.  I can't wait to get rid of all the guns and ammunition he has stored there! It's ridiculous! I guess he was ready to defend himself from the zombie apocalypse on the 38th floor of his condo!  Turns out, to make matters more complicated, the two condo units are in the name of a corporation he set up.  So in order for the heirs to inherit the proceeds from the sale, we have to prepare a Corporate Resolution to name the new owners and assign ourselves as officers so we can sell the units. More lawyer fees!  Two lawyers one in NC and one in NV, a tax accountant, two Realtors, an Estate Liquidator, a deadbeat tenant and little old me to coordinate them all. 

Wow.....

Starting on the tailor shop.  My cousin has great memories of the shop and drew up a sketch of how he remembered it.  Threw me though.  It seems there was a step down to the shop, huh?  This is due to the facr that the building was there before the sidewalks were.  Hubby helped me figure it out, but not fun.  I will end up only using the front of the Cerveny.

Have some cutting to due, then will post pix.

Our summer is finally catching up with us - miserably hot!

Two of this month's County Fairs are down - two more to go. Heading north to Port Angeles tomorrow for the Clallam Co Fair.  

My minis are saving my sanity. It was so hot in our building last Friday that customers stepped inside, commented on the heat, and walked out! It was cooler outside in the sun!  I sat at my desk with my fan on, and worked on my minis. I decided the 1:144 furniture pieces were too small for that setting - I need my worktable with the lighted magnifying glass to make those microscopic chairs!  So I switched to the 1:48 furniture. I'm doing a miniature show in Portland next month and I want samples of each style of furniture, so I am trying to make up one of each of the kits. Got quite a bit done this last week. :) 

On 8/12/2016, 2:08:14, rodentraiser said:

I'm just trying to stay cool in the heat. Supposed to be 90 here today and that means well over 90 in my room. And tomorrow is supposed to be worse. I guess summer is wreaking its final havoc on us here in the Northwest.

Our "winters" are from mid-February to a day or two after mid-February here in Florida, so residential properties are required under State building statute to have air conditioning.  Keeping it maintained and working is another matter.  Without it, we would have a lot more heat related fatalities and mold from the humidity would make any house unlivable.  I can't believe that employers aren't required to climate control their facilities, though.  My BIL works at a Wal-Mart DC nearby, and it's in the 120's inside of the building much of the year.  As odd as it is, the weather fronts have been giving us NW weather (rainy, all day), so it's actually cooling things down a lot lately.  I could do without the all day-every day showers, but it sure beats the kind of weather hurricanes bring.  When one of those goes over, it rains for days, but the rain is so hot it's like an outdoor shower and it heats everything up.

My two oldest kids started 2nd and 3rd grades on Monday.  Little Liam started Pre-K, too.  Only Shailene is home all day now.  It's a little quieter, but without the kids keeping tabs on her and telling us when she's up to no good, we have to put all other chores aside until she takes her nap.  If she takes one.

Jeremy, back when dinosaurs still roamed the earth and I was a student at good ol' UF there in Gainesville we could set our watches by the daily rainstorms from late July until the end of September/ early October.

The weather we have been encountering has us motel-camping, all our tent gear in the back of our car.  We left our son's Monday AM and got stuck in  traffic mess on I-66 that turned out to have been the result of a rear-ender that destroyed  small car, killing the child and sending her parents to the hospital with serious injuries, as well as the driver of the pickup truck, who was charged; the drivers of the other two vehicles the small car was shoved into were treated for their injuries on the scene.  DS sent us a link to the accident, it's a miracle the parents of the little girl weren't also killed!  The law enforcement people let traffic turn around and go back to the previous exit for  while; we were lucky to be in that group, because the scene wasn't cleared until after 1 PM and we were stuck there for nearly an hour and a half.  We got to Morgantown, WV, by 4 PM and called it a day,  We stopped in Charleston, WV, to tour their capitol building and history museum and ate our lunch and are now in Lexington, KY, to spend the night.  We're working our way to Nashville, TN, to come on home by way of the Natchez Trace for part of the trip. The scenery has been, for the most part, gorgeous; driving through the rainstorms, not so much.

33 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

driving through the rainstorms, not so much.

I hear you. We drove to Houston on Friday in rain, dodged it all weekend, and delayed return to Tuesday. The drive back to NOLA included a major detour around a section of I-10 that was impassable due to flooding, making the trip about 3 hours longer than usual. I'm not complaining. It was a minor annoyance compared to the situation of the thousands of folks flooded out of their homes. 

The purpose of the trip was to set up the Mardi Gras float at a cousin's house.Mission accomplished. :) 

Lucky cousin!  Looking at the weather forecast, we shall have the daily deluge all the way home.  Kathie, we saw the Baton Rouge flood pictures on the news last night!  It has already begun raining here in Lexington; we ate the motel breakfast (DH is finishing up his) and will soon be wading out to the car to head for Frankfort.

I'm trying to decide on a color for the bedroom. My new drapes look perfect with the color in my dining room, but DH is convinced that if I paint the bedroom that color it'll be as dark as a cave in there, so he's against it. So far I don't particularily like any of the color chips I've looked at. We even bought 3 sample jars at Lowes and I painted squares of them on the wall between the drapes. I don't care much for any of them. They make my pretty drapes look bleh. Tonight I've been looking online at Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams colors in room settings, trying to find other color #s close to the dining room paint, just a little lighter. I've got Benjamin Moore Buckland Blue in the dining room, but I have to admit, most of the photos of rooms painted in that color don't look a whole lot like my dining room. I need to decide on a color before DH starts nagging me about when am I going to finish painting.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2016‎ ‎7‎:‎02‎:‎50‎, havanaholly said:

Jeremy, back when dinosaurs still roamed the earth and I was a student at good ol' UF there in Gainesville we could set our watches by the daily rainstorms from late July until the end of September/ early October.

We talked to my son the other day (they live in Sanford) and we were chatting about how it was probably hotter up here than it was is Florida!  I was bemoaning the fact that we hadn't had a good storm for some time (they either missed us or didn't produce a helpful rain) and he remarked that the rainy had begun there.   As you said- you can almost set your watch to the storms that go thru!

Since our phone conversation, the heat wave in SE Pennsylvania seems to have somewhat dissipated. We've had several fronts go thru, and while it is still plenty humid today, it is cloudy and the temps are tolerable.  A def improvement.

Hubby and I are beginning to chat about a possible mini vacation this fall.  We both seem to be needing a break. It will soon be September, and it always seems like Fall just gets jam-packed with activities! 

We started motoring down the Natchez Trace this AM and are stopped for the night in Tupelo, MS.  So far we saw flocks of turkeys, a doe, a juvenile red fox, two bicyclists, several craws, a wee speckled gecko and two cows.

Well, I see Jackie sent the heat this way. Thanks, Jackie! :D

We're supposed to be breaking some heat records for the next two days - up in the mid 90s. So today I went out and got some hot weather survival stuff. Capri Sun juice pouches (I'll freeze those), frozen blueberries (I'll eat those frozen), corn on the cob (can cook in the crock pot), and a bag of ice because I'm fed to the teeth with fighting the ice cube trays. And filling them up - I bet I go through at least 9 ice cube trays a day when it gets hot. I just look at my glass and the ice cubes instantly vaporize. And a pox on anyone who says it's all the hot air when I talk.

I have enough for three or four days because although I heard that Sunday is going to be much cooler, let's just say I've heard that one before and I don't believe it. So with all this stuff, 5 gallons of ice water in the fridge and enough T-shirts to wet down for the next week, I should be all set.

However, I do think I'm going to power down my computer in the afternoon.

Still in Vegas. My niece from England took a month to tour the western US and happened to be in Vegas the same time as us, so we took her and her boyfriend to dinner at the MGM Grand. Today we shipped some items to Florida. I really pray the antique foyer table makes it in one piece. Then we took a break from all the sorting and drove to Red Rock Canyon. It was only 90 degrees there. A pleasant break from the 105 in Vegas.  It actually rained in Vegas today. I didn't think it could. The other day the humidity was 1%. I questioned what happens at 0% humidity? Do your eyes shrivel up and turn to dust? I actually miss my 85% humidity in Florida.

Well, it seems like I haven't done anything and everything.... My niece is here visiting for five weeks (arrived 4 weeks ago) and since she arrived my mom was diagnosed with metastatic cancer and started chemo (which she and my dad are currently handling as well as one can), my brand-new washing machine is leaking somewhere killing my bathroom floors and soaked up into the drywall, I had to get rid of a yellow jacket nest this morning to shut off the main water line, and now I have to figure out how to stop the leak. And school starts again next week.... I'm ready for it all to just stop.

So, now that I'm done ranting, I'm going to fix that darn washing machine.