What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Glad those results were negative, Kelly.

I am headed over to a forum where the members are not nearly as nice as the people here. I am debating with a woman who thinks the bailouts helped everyone hurt by the crash in 2008 and no one has any problems relating to that now because everyone's doing great, and someone who thinks all food stamp users should be sterilized and only be allowed to purchase gruel, among other people.

This is an example of how some people think:

"Honestly, I think you have to start shaming them yourself. Every time I see someone use their Link card I try and disparage them as much as possible. For the life of me, I think both food stamps and the electronic cards were horrible ideas. If we are forced to subsidize the nutrition of people at all, then I think it should be in the form of some bland, flavorless gruel that supplies all their nutritional needs. We certainly should not have welfare recipients shopping in the same stores as the people who are forced to support them. I want them so miserable and wallowing in despair and misery that there every thought is how do I lift myself out of this, not, gee this Pop-tart taste pretty good. ever look at what is in the shopping cart of people on public assistance; it is sickening.
They now have birth control shots - at a minimum they should be mandatory. I believe sterilization of both sexes should be a prerequisite for receiving welfare."

So I go in guns blazing (I told the guy above that I would have ripped him a new one if he had the nerve to question my use of food stamps). Tonight, though, not looking forward to it as much. I'm just sad there's so many people in the world who care so little about their fellow man.

33 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

I am headed over to a forum where the members are not nearly as nice as the people here. I am debating with a woman who thinks the bailouts helped everyone hurt by the crash in 2008 and no one has any problems relating to that now because everyone's doing great, and someone who thinks all food stamp users should be sterilized and only be allowed to purchase gruel, among other people.

"Honestly, I think you have to start shaming them yourself. Every time I see someone use their Link card I try and disparage them as much as possible. For the life of me, I think both food stamps and the electronic cards were horrible ideas. If we are forced to subsidize the nutrition of people at all, then I think it should be in the form of some bland, flavorless gruel that supplies all their nutritional needs. We certainly should not have welfare recipients shopping in the same stores as the people who are forced to support them. I want them so miserable and wallowing in despair and misery that there every thought is how do I lift myself out of this, not, gee this Pop-tart taste pretty good. ever look at what is in the shopping cart of people on public assistance; it is sickening.
They now have birth control shots - at a minimum they should be mandatory. I believe sterilization of both sexes should be a prerequisite for receiving welfare."

So I go in guns blazing (I told the guy above that I would have ripped him a new one if he had the nerve to question my use of food stamps). Tonight, though, not looking forward to it as much. I'm just sad there's so many people in the world who care so little about their fellow man.

I too am glad your results were negative Kelly (kellee).  Hang in there.  Prayers your way

Kelly   Yes there are some lazy ones out there who do not deserve the lending hand but there are so many who DO deserve the help.  So many have lost their jobs, their homes etc thru no fault of their own.  So many who are trying to find jobs, get back on their feet and be self supporting but with our economy and stuff are having a hard time.  Oh I could go on and on but I had better not.  This would turn into a verrrry long novel.  I never look down on anyone who needs help because I was the one who needed help at one time and was so grateful for it.  It is one of the reasons I do what I can for others, donate the houses I build, bought some fireworks today and asked that they be given to a family who otherwise would not be able to get them, volunteer when I can, buy a meal for a homeless person. No I dont have much money but if I can help others I will. I dont tell you this to toot my own horn but I tell you this to let you know I know how you feel.  Okay off the bandwagon.  Off topic here aren't I

6 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

That's Great Kelly! 

As far as the people noted above, it's not just that they don't care about their fellow man, they are ignorant.

Our eldest son was injured on his last tour (USMC) badly enough he took a medical retirement.  He looks perfectly able-bodied when his injury isn't flaring up, but he has a handicapped sign for his rearview mirror that he uses, and he gets all sorts of foul & ugly looks when he uses it.  The youngest doesn't drive, but his mental illness has prevented him from holding a steady job; it also cuts short people's mindless comments in his hearing.  As Jo points out, it's ignorance.

I wasn't going to comment here because I don't think the topic belongs on this forum, but I have to agree with Sable. Ignorance implies the possibility of learning. People with the strong opinions expressed above are not open to learning. (Although I'd like to see what he would write about 4 months after losing his own job.)

• Like 1

Thanks you, everyone! You make me feel so much better. I was just a little down last night. Add to that, due to a mix-up at the doctor's office, I wasn't able to get my refill of anti-depressants, so was out for two weeks. I picked them up yesterday, but any longer and I think I would have had to get off the forum for a while. I'm always surprised at how fast I go downhill when I can't take those.

I wish I could give everyone here a big hug. You guys are amazing!:salute:

Wow, Kelly, that sounds like a very narrow-minded individual.  

When my dad lost his job in 1993, he had to relocate to find meaningful work in the same field.  Eventually, his severance was exhausted, so he had to get public assistance (for what it was meant for, temporary assistance due to loss of employment that would have left him and my younger sister homeless).  Within a few months, he was able to find employment and the first thing he did was call the welfare office to report that he no longer qualified for it.  Without first-hand knowledge of someone on welfare, it's impossible to know a recipient's situation, and who has the right to throw stones, anyway?

I saw my primary doctor yesterday.  The good news is, I have lost 16 lbs since June 21.  The bad news is, I still can't eat or drink anything.  He thought I should return to the ER, but that isn't going to happen.

I did have a funny text exchange with the regional director of the company I work for.  I reported to him on Monday that I had been discharged that afternoon and was at work on time.  He replied that he appreciated my dedication, but to remember that "there is only one superman."  I thanked him for not disclosing my other occupation with the rest of the group. :P

lol Jeremy!  It's a long weekend here in Canada, so since today was hot and sunny, I headed for Rainbow Beach with a book, some water and fresh fruit and my SPF 50 sunshelter. I got a lot of stitching done yesterday. We will see what tomorrow brings, rain is threatened. However, work wise, I SO wish I could tell you all what happened, but privacy laws stop me. Suffice to say, I just banged my head on my desk. (don't worry, I am still employed. Just people make me tired)

I have also been hunkered down hiding from the Country-festers (just google it). My town gets taken over by drunk cowboys. 

:eek:

For anyone wondering, I finished the book today. :D Will be going back through it to clean up loose ends and smooth some awkward sentences this weekend, but expect it will be ready to print copies for first readers by next week.

• Like 6

Hi again.  I've been off so long that I had to sign in again!  I wonder why I've been absent ... let's see ... Oh, I remember!

DD, SIL, and two grandchildren were here for a week and we drove the Peninsula Loop for 2 days, then a grand-slam family reunion 80 miles away, then just visiting and EATING and visiting until Mom'n'Dad left.  They thought (without consulting with us) that the kids needed more bonding time with the grandparents so the 2 kids are here for 10 more days.  17-yr-old boy and 11-yr-old girl.  Love my grandchildren to pieces but not quite ready for full-time entertainment!  Grandson is no problem, but the granddaughter is very hyper. She never stands still - her arms are swinging back and forth over her head if she's not doing something - keeping time to a beat in her head. :cheer:I suddenly feel old!  She went to bed last night sometime after 1:00 a.m., and got up this morning around 6:30.  When her eyes open, her mouth is in high gear.  

Today she wants to start building a dollhouse. I love the idea, just hope I survive it!  I have a Lisa's Cottage kit that we will work on. Unfortunately, that is very heavy and will probably cost me $100 to ship it back to her house. (Can't take it on the plane) I have some lighter Greenleaf kits, but I'm afraid she doesn't have the patience to do it right and I haven't got time to build it for her.  The LC just falls together. 

If I'm not back on the forum in a reasonable amount of time, you will know I landed in the local Loony Bin.  :saucer_anim2:

• Like 2

Just booked a weekend vacation trip to Paris, can we see a visit to the Passage du Joffeey where there are two mini shows within the same passage... <bliss> we'll be staying very close to the Lovre so that is also a bonus

need to brush up the Fremch huh?!? 

Hugs

• Like 1

Anna, I hope he stands well back from that peloton as it comes roaring through!  The few times I've watched the Tour de France the speeds those cyclists get up to scares the willies out of me!

32 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Anna, I hope he stands well back from that peloton as it comes roaring through!  The few times I've watched the Tour de France the speeds those cyclists get up to scares the willies out of me!

Indeed they do! Last time we visiter Paris we had perfect spots just next to the 50m sprint mark on champs Elysee, this time we'll see where we will be watching, might be so lucky that the hotell is so close...

hugs

3 hours ago, Anna said:

Just booked a weekend vacation trip to Paris, can we see a visit to the Passage du Joffeey where there are two mini shows within the same passage... <bliss> we'll be staying very close to the Lovre so that is also a bonus

need to brush up the Fremch huh?!? 

Hugs

I'm not sure if you meant miniature shows or shops. I was at the Passage a year ago and only found one miniature/dollhouse shop. My expectations where severely let down when it turned out to be a very small section of a toy store and none of it was unique. All made in China stuff, same items we get here.

8 hours ago, Sable said:

I'm not sure if you meant miniature shows or shops. I was at the Passage a year ago and only found one miniature/dollhouse shop. My expectations where severely let down when it turned out to be a very small section of a toy store and none of it was unique. All made in China stuff, same items we get here.

Well, last time I were there and also Heard back from a friend visiting earliler this year had two differetn ones, one is just a tiny shop with only minis and the other is a mixed shop. Promise I will report back after we go there though. I am also on the hunt for a great fabric store and/or an artist store just for the fun of it.

I know one time we were there there were this fabulous silk shop next to the Madeleine Church, but not the last time around though.

Hugs

Helen from York (UK) did an article for American Miniaturist several years ago in which she described the mini shops she found in Paris.  I would assume, since I see so many French miniaturists' work here & there, that there are shops.  Have you tried Googling?

We have a friend whose husband is hospitalized and unable to give much direction to her as to how the family finances are handled day to day. He took care of all bill paying, etc. Thinking about her plight made me think about our situation. I handle all finances, taxes, etc.,  , much of it on line, what with automatic bill pay, etc. Whenever I try to tell Lloyd something about it, he gets glassy-eyed and changes the subject. As a solution to what would for him be a very difficult situation should I go gaga or worse, I'm putting together what I'm calling The Bucket Book. I've devised a form for collecting accounts, websites, etc., that he'll need to access with user IDs, passwords, and notes on whom to contact, how often bills are paid, and such. I'll include a page with where to find paper records (car title, etc) and our DNRs and anything else I think might be helpful. 

I started out by doing a page on how to access my laptop and its programs and files. From there I realized what a jumble my files are in. Have spent a good bit of this morning organizing files, moving some around and deleting stuff that should have been pitched a long time ago. I've made some general headings and just dumping files into their appropriate folders. When all of the loose files have found a home, then I'll have to go back and organize within each main folder. It will be a challenge, but I'll feel much better about the future when it's finished.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KathieB said:

We have a friend whose husband is hospitalized and unable to give much direction to her as to how the family finances are handled day to day. He took care of all bill paying, etc. Thinking about her plight made me think about our situation. I handle all finances, taxes, etc.,  , much of it on line, what with automatic bill pay, etc. Whenever I try to tell Lloyd something about it, he gets glassy-eyed and changes the subject. As a solution to what would for him be a very difficult situation should I go gaga or worse, I'm putting together what I'm calling The Bucket Book. I've devised a form for collecting accounts, websites, etc., that he'll need to access with user IDs, passwords, and notes on whom to contact, how often bills are paid, and such. I'll include a page with where to find paper records (car title, etc) and our DNRs and anything else I think might be helpful. 

I started out by doing a page on how to access my laptop and its programs and files. From there I realized what a jumble my files are in. Have spent a good bit of this morning organizing files, moving some around and deleting stuff that should have been pitched a long time ago. I've made some general headings and just dumping files into their appropriate folders. When all of the loose files have found a home, then I'll have to go back and organize within each main folder. It will be a challenge, but I'll feel much better about the future when it's finished.

I had my husband actually pay the bills one month just so he would have a clue. He now knows where the passwords are kept. Dealing with my BIL's death right now and although my husband is the Executor, I'm doing all the paperwork.

38 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Helen from York (UK) did an article for American Miniaturist several years ago in which she described the mini shops she found in Paris.  I would assume, since I see so many French miniaturists' work here & there, that there are shops.  Have you tried Googling?

Holly, I searched high and low for mini shops in Paris. I was shocked to find just that one and one other place that sold mini modern chairs. I asked our concierge for assistance and that's all she came up with.  There is a dollhouse museum not too far from the Passage but they don't sell anything.

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

Amazon has this. I shouldn't laugh, but the title struck me as hilarious. Even my mom laughed her head off about it.

https://www.amazon.com/Important-Information-Belongings-Business-Affairs/dp/1441317996

2 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Amazon has this. I shouldn't laugh, but the title struck me as hilarious. Even my mom laughed her head off about it.

https://www.amazon.com/Important-Information-Belongings-Business-Affairs/dp/1441317996

:D I'm laughing along with you! I think this topic is one that should be approached with humor. It's inevitable, eh?