What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I hear that one. But I also have another take on it. I have a ton of hobbies (only one of which I can really do at the present). However, in the 80s I was showing my dogs and had a telescope which I would take to star parties, which are all night star gazing fests held once a month on a new moon night (or closest to). I had a boyfriend who was adamant about me not going to my star parties (and to be fair, it was mostly me, the only woman, along with a bunch of men). It was hard for him to understand that nothing went on at these star parties. Clear skies, a dark night, and no moon don't combine all that often and no amateur astronomer is going to waste that time doing anything but take advantage of his telescope. The boyfriend wasn't interested in going along with me and he finally told me I "couldn't" go to star parties by myself. I understood his concern, but I wasn't giving up astronomy for that silly of a reason and told him to take a walk.

So I understand passions and giving up the time to spend on them. Today I would be more compromising and not insist on going to every dog show on every weekend, But I still need the freedom to pursue my hobbies and understanding that in myself means I can understand it in other people as well. I'm the type of woman who would allow her husband to run a model train set through the walls and around the house.

But that's just me.

I love your story about the Michael Jackson and Tommy Reynolds!

In 1973 or thereabouts (can't remember exactly now), I special ordered an album from a group that was just getting airplay on our great FM station. I met someone whose sister heard the album and wanted to tape it because she like it so much and "I'll probably never hear this again!" The group was The Doobie Brothers. Funnier than that is, when I went to replace all my albums with CDs, I had to special order the CD, too, because the first album was pretty unknown by a lot of people. Most people only know them from their AM hits. Years later when I was blasting that CD at the 7-11 where I worked, some older guy walked in and listened for a moment and asked if that was The Doobie Brothers. I told him it was and then he said he thought they sounded familiar. Decades earlier, he used to listen to them practice in a garage a couple of houses down the street. The good old days of music!

By the way, it's interesting that Tommy Reynolds thought the music business was toxic to a good marriage. Talking about John Kay, he married his wife in the 60s, I think, and they're still married today.

• Like 1

On Saturday, July 23, 2016 6:53:54, Mary K said:

Jeremy, every Friday night a troop of Hells Angels (they're mostly old farts now, but still riding serious Harleys) blows into town to hang out at the Brick tavern (oldest continuously operating bar on the west coast).  I fully understand your passion for your bike.  Remember John Kay, Steppenwolf, and "Born to Be Wild"?

That sounds like the song Rock and Roll Rebels. LOL

"And he picks up the gang at the usual places
To hear the soundtrack of their lives
Oh yeah, they're rolllin' downtown to hear that rock n' roll music
Well, it may not save the world but it helps them survive

And the rock n' roll rebels are ridin' tonight
Crusin' till daylight again
Yes they're rockin' this town for the time of their lives
Wishin' this night'd never end"

Enjoyed a great lunch with Chris and Holly today in Ocean Springs, MS. Our table talk hit many interesting subjects -- miniatures not so much! :D It's wonderful how miniaturists connect on so many levels.

• Like 2

Home again from the NAME Convention!  What an experience!  There were about 425 attendees, and it lasted officially 4 days, with 3 days of pre-convention workdays.  Very busy schedule, and I had a Dealer Table at the Sales Room - so I am now officially exhausted! But it was a great time and I am so glad I went. 

As KathieB said, we all got together in Ocean Springs, MS (almost exactly midway between Kathie & me), for lunch & a visit.  Even though it was DH's & my first time meeting Chris, as with all the miniaturists we have met, it was just like meeting old friends!  Chris makes the most incredibly beautiful fireplaces!  I see that I must bash the Lily to use at least two of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CheckMouse said:

Home again from the NAME Convention!  What an experience!  There were about 425 attendees, and it lasted officially 4 days, with 3 days of pre-convention workdays.  Very busy schedule, and I had a Dealer Table at the Sales Room - so I am now officially exhausted! But it was a great time and I am so glad I went. 

I'm so sorry I missed it. As a Dealer, what where you selling? Was it very profitable for you? Sorry I'm being so nosy. 

3 hours ago, Sable said:

I'm so sorry I missed it. As a Dealer, what where you selling? Was it very profitable for you? Sorry I'm being so nosy. 

Not nosy :)   I am now an authorized dealer for Hart's Desire Miniatures. Absolutely stunning kits in 1:48 and 1:144 scales. Both houses and furniture for all rooms for all styles. She (Gail) designs and makes all the kits but sells only wholesale. Hates doing shows and events. I love doing the shows so we are helping each other. :) She does some things in 1:12 scale also - I'll expand into that as I am able. I need to work myself out of a punch-the-clock job.  Now that Convention is over I will be getting everything on the website. 

And yes, it was profitable - very encouraging. I learned a lot from the other dealers!

• Like 1

I signed over Old Blue to the insurance company to get the ball rolling on the vehicle settlement this morning.  

While I was at work this evening, one of my riding brothers offered me a loaner bike to ride until I get a permanent replacement.  All I need now is a brain bucket.  I might be back on 2 wheels by tomorrow. I would do a happy dance, but I couldn't dance before and can barely limp now.  All I have to do is keep a safe distance from my DW, lest she breaks one of my arms (or worse) for entertaining the idea. :D

• Like 1

Slowly waking up after a few hours of sleep. What a wonderful trip we have had, five days in Paris, gorgeous weather, feet well worn and we caught the final stage of Tour  de France at a perfect spot just a block away from our hotel. We will definitley stay at the same hotel in the future when visiting Paris again. 

Hugs

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pdlnpeabody said:

I signed over Old Blue to the insurance company to get the ball rolling on the vehicle settlement this morning.  

While I was at work this evening, one of my riding brothers offered me a loaner bike to ride until I get a permanent replacement.  All I need now is a brain bucket.  I might be back on 2 wheels by tomorrow. I would do a happy dance, but I couldn't dance before and can barely limp now.  All I have to do is keep a safe distance from my DW, lest she breaks one of my arms (or worse) for entertaining the idea. :D

Oh Jeremy, so sorry to hear bout the accidentell but definitley Happy that you are doing as ok as you are. Keeping fingers and toes crossed that you continue to heal quickly and that your arms can stay clear of Being broken too ;) so to speak.

gently, but huge hugs!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Anna said:

Slowly walking up after a few hours of sleep. What a wonderful trip we have had, five days in Paris, gorgeous weather, feet well worn and we caught the final stage of Tour  de France at a perfect spot just a block away from our hotel. We will definitley stay at the same hotel in the future when visiting Paris again. 

Hugs

What did you think of the dollhouse/miniature shops in the Passage?

9 hours ago, CheckMouse said:

Not nosy :)   I am now an authorized dealer for Hart's Desire Miniatures. Absolutely stunning kits in 1:48 and 1:144 scales. Both houses and furniture for all rooms for all styles. She (Gail) designs and makes all the kits but sells only wholesale. Hates doing shows and events. I love doing the shows so we are helping each other. :) She does some things in 1:12 scale also - I'll expand into that as I am able. I need to work myself out of a punch-the-clock job.  Now that Convention is over I will be getting everything on the website. 

And yes, it was profitable - very encouraging. I learned a lot from the other dealers!

We are looking for dealers for our March show in Boca Raton, Fl. Let me know if you are interested.  We also do smaller kits as meeting projects. Please PM me your info.

44 minutes ago, Sable said:

What did you think of the dollhouse/miniature shops in the Passage?

The toy shop one was nothing much, the one in the corner, what used to be called la Boije joujoux, now miniatures world was nothing much either really. Half of it now filled with comic book memorabilia, great stuff though with the Tintin thingies, but when looking choser of the inventory it was what one find most anywhere and lots of the things on sale so suspect they might be deminishing their stock. So nothing came home with me from there, had high holes for the wooden trims as last time that was well stocked, still had bottle blanks thoug, but as I have filled most of the shelves in the lighthouse and still have a few left over felt no need to add more just yet.

i did however find a Street close to the Sacre Coeur, ie Rue Seveste where there are lots and lots of fabric shops along the Street.

hugs

1 hour ago, Anna said:

The toy shop one was nothing much, the one in the corner, what used to be called la Boije joujoux, now miniatures world was nothing much either really. Half of it now filled with comic book memorabilia, great stuff though with the Tintin thingies, but when looking choser of the inventory it was what one find most anywhere and lots of the things on sale so suspect they might be deminishing their stock. So nothing came home with me from there, had high holes for the wooden trims as last time that was well stocked, still had bottle blanks thoug, but as I have filled most of the shelves in the lighthouse and still have a few left over felt no need to add more just yet.

i did however find a Street close to the Sacre Coeur, ie Rue Seveste where there are lots and lots of fabric shops along the Street.

hugs

It was such a letdown when I was at the Passage last year. I had such high expectations of what a Paris dollhouse shop should offer. 

10 hours ago, Anna said:

Oh Jeremy, so sorry to hear bout the accidentell but definitley Happy that you are doing as ok as you are. Keeping fingers and toes crossed that you continue to heal quickly and that your arms can stay clear of Being broken too ;) so to speak.

gently, but huge hugs!

Thanks, Anna!

I'm getting more information about the accident every day.  One of my neighbors saw the accident as it happened.  He said the other driver sped out from their neighborhood entrance (I can agree with that) and that I sailed about 100 feet from the point of impact and rolled several times after landing on the pavement.  I have been having close calls with the reaper since I was very young, but I sure don't bounce back as quickly as I used to.  I was offered an adequate settlement for the bike this afternoon.  However, I can't find the title for the bike, so I'll have to get another at the tag agency today or tomorrow.  In a few minutes I will be getting a ride over to a friend's house to pick up the loaner bike.  This is the longest stretch I have ever had without riding, so I'm excited to get back on the saddle.  I'm also relieved because if I didn't have a ride, I would have to accept a ride home with my dad.  The problem is, he has night blindness and wouldn't be able to see anything.  An obvious danger to us and anyone else on the road after midnight.

All this down time at home has left me with more time to spend with the kids and to start organizing my mini tools.  It's time to get that Tudor finished.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, havanaholly said:

As KathieB said, we all got together in Ocean Springs, MS (almost exactly midway between Kathie & me), for lunch & a visit.  Even though it was DH's & my first time meeting Chris, as with all the miniaturists we have met, it was just like meeting old friends!  Chris makes the most incredibly beautiful fireplaces!  I see that I must bash the Lily to use at least two of them.

If that man ever retires....he has picked Ocean Springs as where he wants to go.    I think it's due to a VA hospital being close, plus the base. My medical issues, not his.

Jeremy, do we have to come down there to take care of you?  Please quit getting hurt! You've got several Aunties here that just might have to watch over you more closely!  :doctor:

• Like 1

Lawanda, if you move to Ocean Springs you'll be close to Chris and halfway between me and KathieB (& Matt).  Or you could move to Pensacola; there's a pretty good size VA hospital there, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Lawanda, if you move to Ocean Springs you'll be close to Chris and halfway between me and KathieB (& Matt).  Or you could move to Pensacola; there's a pretty good size VA hospital there, too.

I'd consider retiring in Ocean Springs. It's a delightful little community. It's biggest drawback is that it is in Mississippi.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KathieB said:

Answering in a PM :D 

Oh, dear!  Now we all have to know what's wrong with Mrs. Ippi. :deal:

My son and family live in Memphis TN and are looking at property just across the border into MS. They want to get out of the metropolis and into a more rural setting. He can still commute to his work in Memphis, it will be about 1/2 drive one way. They are looking at a 15-acre property with a fixer-upper house and a LAKE! :) 

The culinary & hospitality students at Pensacola State College put on their annual appreciation feed for the alumni supporters.  All of the food was original and most of it was very, very good (some items were just over-the-top for my humble tastebuds).  The head chef/ professor announced that their program had just been accredited by a national chefs' board, so that all their culinary graduates, in addition to having their AS degree, would be certified professional chefs.  This the sort of excellence that has marked this school since it was a "junior college".

• Like 2