What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Kathie, I apply gel stain with rags of DH's old teeshirts; that's how I got started appllying all my stains that way. I really like gel stain, it doesn't seem quite as sloppy.

That's my plan. All I have to do is convince Lloyd that one of his t-shirts really is old enough to become a rag. (Or snag one out of his dresser when he's not looking.)

That's my plan. All I have to do is convince Lloyd that one of his t-shirts really is old enough to become a rag. (Or snag one out of his dresser when he's not looking.)

Good luck with that Kathie! I have the opposite problem here. My husband throws them out before I can claim them!

But, it's about time to buy new shirts for my boys, both due to ago and size, so I'll be able to claim a few form those. So, if you need some, let me know! :)

DH wears his until the holes get big enough to poke one of his fingers through them (he wears those for hiking/ paddling/ yard work). I wash and dry ALL the clothes, so when I notice one getting ready to "go" I help it along and then take it to show him & ask if I can have it. Old teeshirt rags also make good tack cloth and brush cleaning rags and mini quilt batts.

I'm getting ready to do something with the Beacon Hill! I went to the hardware store for paint for some plant stands I'm making for the front porch and while there got some gel stain for the BH floors. I was going to get a stain pen, but it was $7.97, the same price as a can of the gel stain. I've not used the gel, but with difference in price, I'm willing to give it a try! I got the Aged Oak color ... haven't used it before but thought it would be appropriate for an aging house in the Garden District.

I can't wait to see. I have a BH that I will start in a few weeks and haven't thought through the decorating, yet. The oak sounds perfect. I have a Rouge Maple that I love to use. It is actually for the interior cabinets and trim of my RL house. It has a beautiful red tint to it. I recently tried using a Rich Mahogany that I found at a construction "re-store" on my Vineyard Cottage but it is so dark it looks like paint in photos. I tested it on the bottom of the first floor and at the time it looked great. I will just have to thin it down for the next time.

• 1 month later...

The Panhandle Trace Hike will begin the last day of the month, so DH & I are prepping to head back to havana tomorrow AM to pack the Little House on the Highway and leave from over there on Monday to spend the rest of the week doing warm-up hikes on Torreya State Park's 15+ miles of trails.

I can't wait to see. I have a BH that I will start in a few weeks and haven't thought through the decorating, yet. The oak sounds perfect. I have a Rouge Maple that I love to use. It is actually for the interior cabinets and trim of my RL house. It has a beautiful red tint to it. I recently tried using a Rich Mahogany that I found at a construction "re-store" on my Vineyard Cottage but it is so dark it looks like paint in photos. I tested it on the bottom of the first floor and at the time it looked great. I will just have to thin it down for the next time.

I like the aged oak for the floors. I think the baseboards and ceiling copings will be painted. I wasn't as happy with the aged oak on the stairway and altered it with a coat of Minwax Special Walnut. It's not a big change, but I think it looks a bit warmer.

Little Natasha and work are keeping me busy busy, but we finally have our hobby room (Garage converted into a proper room), so I have been able to unpack all my mini stuff. I can finally do some mini work again without having to dig through boxes and put it all away in between sessions. I've just started looking at the DHE Magical Mystery Tower kit I have. I want to make it a home for Minnie Mouse and all her dress up clothes that I picked up on our Honeymoon. I think I will try to draw/paint scenes on the walls from Disney films that I like - Aladdin, Jungle Book, Snow White and Dumbo. Did consider changing the floor/ceiling heights, but fitting in a 3rd floor would make the rooms too short really. I would think that Natasha will play with it when she's older, so I'm making it so three sides can be opened rather than just two sides, so little hands have less trouble! Any suggestions for designs and what needs including are welcome! (I was brought up without Disney TV, so really don't know Minnie Mouse at all. Natasha is bereft of Disney TV too, so she won't know if something is missing anyway :p )

Have added some more pictures of Natasha over the last few months - Can you believe she's going to be a year old in just over 5 weeks?! She was ever so healthy for the first 8.5 months, but since then has had one cold or virus after another (as have I and I normally never get ill!) We are looking forward to a healthy month (or even week!) soon. It all started my first day back at work - She just wants me to stay home, as do I! Unfortunately for me it is Chris who gets to stay home if needed - he only works half day the one day we both work.

Enjoy your hiking and visit to Havana Holly :)

I didn't really do anything too useful today mini-wise, a little touch-up paint. I did a little grocery shopping, and got almost all the Easer candy purchased. Still need the chocolate bunnies (they may be eggs this year), and smarties and gummy crabby patties. Chances are though I will probably still buy more (bought 7 bags today), because our Easter bunny fills close to 100 eggs to hide. :eek: But it's a good start at least. And it's time to start thinking about basket fillers too...

Also spent a good bit of the day doing laundry in preparation for Lawson's trip to DC next week. I was happy folding it by myself, so then I could pick out what clothes would get packed. Well his sweet self came in to help, and picked out his shirts. The Green Lantern and bright orange WAVE t-shirts made the pile. Ugh, why do they want to wear stuff like that on trips like this? What's so wrong with solid color shirts?

Oh well, time to fold the rest and bring down the suitcase and start packing...

Ha! Tracy, Wait until you have a nearly-40 year old bipolar kid go on a camping trip that packs his own clothes and just LOVES X-rated teeshirts (at least he's good about wearing them under his sportshirts when we take him out in public!lol)

I'm up to.. NOTHING today..or this week..as I have unexpectedly been sidelined by pneumonia. ARGH! I have had bouts with bronchitis my whole adult life, and while it is never fun...pneumonia makes it seem like child's play. In a nutshell..it SUCKS! (please pardon my terminology..but better word fails me at moment). I barely have enough energy and air to make it to the bathroom, must less do anything constructive. Don't know how in the world this found me, but wish it would vacate the premises..like, yesterday!

Sure hope the antibiotic they prescribed knocks this thing out quickly. Levaquin (levafloxacin): never had it before, but they say it also works against anthrax exposure :ohmy: , so if by chance I'm exposed to THAT in the next 10 days, I should be just fine! LOL (as if pneumonia weren't enough to deal with!) OY!

And the weather here is so beautiful too...sunny, 70's, bud's are poppin', birds are singin'....(grumble, grumble..stompin' foot!) and I'm stuck inside. pfft! Ok, rant over. Thanks for lettin' me vent. :wacko:

Chris, that's a bummer! Hope the Levaquin does its job pdq!

Today I HAVE to do the taxes. The folder has been sitting on my worktable for several days now. I just can't bring myself to open it. I know it won't take long ... and all I'm doing is organizing the data so the tax man can do his thing ... but every year is the same. Ugh.

Ha, Kathie, great minds think alike as DH even now has taken over the diningroom table and works on taxes. I, on the other hand, am into the ten or so loads of dirty clothes we managed to generate up to and during our recent hiking jaunt, and in between I'm doing THE clothing purge for the year.

Glad you had a good trip Holly, hope your foot heals fast!

Chris, so sorry about the pneumonia, I've had that and it's no fun. Worst part is that your lungs are never the same. :( I'm having one of those bad lung days right now, seeing as our entire everything is covered in pollen right now!!

Good luck Kathie with your taxes.

Lawson is back from his trip, poor guy had an outing with his Leadership group yesterday, and then a class at the local college today followed by a WAVE performance. Poor busy guy.

But, the sweet boy, took pictures of the dollhouse for me at the Smithsonian! How super sweet was that. He said he got a few strange look from his friends for that one...

It is Mother's Day today in the UK, so had breakfast toast in bed, then a nice bath with Natasha, before roast dinner with Chris, Natasha, my Mummy, Sister, and Niece. Chris did the roast gammon (with instructions from the bath) and Mummy and Sister brought all the sides and dessert. Natasha made a lovely card at nursery - hand paints! - and had her first scribbles laminated as a bookmark for me.

Hope you feel better soon Chris!

Not much work on the Tudor house lately. It took almost 2 weeks to get all of my documents together to file my income tax return. Besides my wife's and my W-2s, I got a 1099 for the data entry work I do from home and launched my miniature houses as an official business last year, so there was a stack of receipts, bank records and forms that needed to be filled out.

I pay a lot of taxes (I have 3 kids and claim 0 deductions) so I always get a pretty good return every year, but last year I diverted towards promotion and sales the bulk of the funds I usually put aside for building the houses. Chicago International accounts for about 90% of that spending. Its definitely a business even though I haven't sold anything yet. Because of this I'm getting an even larger return. Besides paying down my wife's debt, we're planning several trips to Disney World with the kids over the next month, so I've been making multiple hotel reservations, planning routes, arranging my work schedule, etc. My wife doesn't want to have anything to do with the planning of this. She's a nervous traveler and thinks the "ingorance is bliss" approach is best, but I don't agree. She just gets even more worked up when she doesn't have any idea where we are going, when we're getting there and what to expect. I don't mind making all the arrangements, but its hard to work the trip around what she wants and needs if she won't at least offer some input.

I can't wait to get back to flooring and wall fabrication.

Just got back from Orlando / Disney World. Kids are definitely a little too young for lots of walking, waiting in lines, etc.

I did take lots of photos. Besides some great shots of the kids, Electrical Light Parade and fireworks show, I took pics of the many architectual styles for inspirational eye candy.

In the real world, I bought primer and paint today to give the 1980s vinyl-clad cabinets in the bathroom an update. Am hoping the metal hinges are really brass that will buff up nicely and not have to be replaced. Want to get this done before we leave for Missouri in 10 days.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back home from the Panhandle Trace Hike. This year my right big toe was the culprit; the skin separation that began with the Torreya Challenge Trail and had begun to heal decided to just come completely apart and require debriding after the first three miles Saturday a week ago in pouring rain that filled my hiking boots with water and soaked off the "super-stick" moleskin I'd covered it with. I did do the first of the two consecutive days of the middle of the hike, but then it began to peel again and I wasn't in the mood to destroy the brand new baby skin that is now forming. We made lots of new friends :D

• 1 month later...

So what am I up to... At work there is going to be a huge re-organisation with the whole school area, sort of re-mapping which schools that will be under "one" principle/head master, so as it looks right now the position I am in right now might chamge into having two schools (and 47 staff members) under my responsibility, not so fun with travelling distance between the two, but who knows what will come out of that, might be nothing. So I am window shopping for other opportunities as well to cover everything so to speak...

We've been away on a week's vacation visiting Madeira eith my parents who have been greeting spring at Madeira for four or five years by now so they have beenguiding us around the island. Talk about gorgeous nature and wonderful levada walks! Could easily have missed the plane ride home LOL but we made it home any ways.

And it was really nice to come home, especially since when we left the roofing guys had almost finished putting new cement tiles (?) but there were still scaffolding and "stuff" left. So getting home to that and the diggers that had started to prepare the ground work for the garden/tool shed and patio area was a great feeling as well.

So hopefully things will settle/slow down a little bit, we've been celebrating DH turning 40 today as well so next week I wish for a slower pace, not likley to happen as work will take some energy with planning ahead with less funding than before which will make a difference in how much staff I can keep for coming fall...

Hugs

We just got home from a week at an Army Corps of Engineers campground near Demopolis, AL, just above the dam on the Tombigbee River near Foscue Creek. The AL Scenic Paddling Trail held an event last weekend in conjunction with the Corps that began at 0-dark-thirty AM; we hit the water 'way up a slough at 0730 with fifteen kayaks and an ornithologist. With a brief lunch stop (lunch was supposed to be provided...) we finally staggered off the river in Demopolis nearly 15 miles, 49 different species of bird and 9 1/2 hours later! We barely made it back to the campground in time to whower and change and head back into town for a tour and fried catfish supper at one of the three antebellum homes open and with original furniture/ decor.

Sunday AM we launched our 'yaks from the back of our campsite and paddled across the slough to meet everyone else at the boatramp and head back out to the river and down to the lock on the dam. I have never locked through on a river, and it's an awesome experience to sit with a dozen other little kayaks in the middle of a lock and watch the huge gates close behind you and then watch the water level fall (and your boat with it) as the lock walls rise higher & higher overhead. Finally the gates in front of us swung open and we all scrabbled to get around to the right side of the lock and a convenient sandbar before a humongous barge came barreling upstream and entered the lock. We had front row seats at the falls below the dam, which were gorgeous! As soon as the gates closed and the turbulence died down we scrambled back into our boats and paddled to the takeout before the next humongous barge started upstream to lock through on its way upriver. I was too pooped to cook, so we went to the local Wally World to see what we could find that was within our dietary requirements for supper. While there I found a Barbie Reba McIntire doll on clearance.

Everyone else went home by Monday AM but we were spending the week, so Monday we donned our hiking shoes and walked all the trails in the campground and some along the road until the heat & humidity drove us back.

Since we were so close, Tuesday we drove over to Meridian, MS, and spent the day. Two of the museums we wanted to visit, the Peavey and Jimmie Rogers Museums, were closed; but the Museum of Art more than made up for it; we were the only people in the place the entire time we were there, and had a personal guided tour. We hit a couple of thrift stores and DH found a lovely Russian doll for me.

Wednesday we launched our kayaks after breakfast and paddled all around the slough the campground is built around, and then paddled out to the river and just before the river bends towards the dam we took off up Foscue Creek to see how far it was navigable (not very). We did go under the bridge that was the road to Sunday's take-out site, and along the way we passed what we found out later was the local Coast Guard HQs. When we passed under the railroad bridge, magic happened; apparently power boats don't get up in there. It seemed as if all the logs had turtles sunning themselves, and three of them shared their log with a snake who decided to go swim off somewhere else as we paddled by. A raccoon came out of the woods and walked along the bank to look at us. We saw a green heron and a lesser blue heron, a couple of jolly little kingfishers and several egrets.

We had noticed a lot of blue Schwinn tricycles around the campground so when we decided to ride all the campground roads on Thursday before it got stinking hot I was really surprised to be the only tricyclist sipping around! We did get a giggle out of a group of children at another campsite who all came running out as I rode by. After riding every single pavedroad in the park we headed on out to the road and went over the bridge we had paddled under Weds, and went over towards the dam; but the gate was closed, so we came back and noticed another road off to our left that didn't have a gate, so off we went, and that's when we found out what we had thought was the Corps of Engineers' office was the Coast Guard's office, and that the Corps' office was further along. Just as we started into their parking area to turn around we notice a Visitors' Center across the street, and in we went to see what was there. One of the rangers we had paddled with last weekend was there and she introduced us to her boss, and from our feedback he not only wants to host two events next year, but we gave him some ideas for no-cost/ low-cost improvements they could make.

I'll be washing clothes for the next two days, but it's good to be home.

• 4 weeks later...

I got to meet our own Brandan today on his way home from his visit to NOLA, and as with all the wonderfully talented people I've met from this forum family, he has a lot of ideas to share! I only wish he & his friends could have stayed longer than their too-short rest stop!

• 3 weeks later...

We spent part of the day today cleaning up a tree that fell on Mama's house. :( Thank goodness not too much damage. We will go back tomorrow morning to help finish cutting the tree down, loading it up, and hauling it away.

The other big thing this week, is that my husband was laid off his job. :( He's been really sad, he really liked his job. Everything will be okay, he just has some decisions to make now.

He can reapply for his position on Monday, at probably a small pay cut (he is over the max pay right now). Then everything goes on as normal. His boss says he has a very good chance of getting it, and he doesn't want him to leave. If he decides not to do that, he gets a very generous severance package.

A couple days before this happened, my work opened a position that he is very qualified for. Due to layoffs in a neighboring county, we've had a lot of apps for this, so I'm really not sure how his chances are for getting it.

I'm not sure what would be the best to do, both ways can be argued. A lot of it comes down to timing, as decisions have to be made in certain windows.

Today is his 7th day at home, I sure hope I don't strangle him before the goes back to work...

Any good thoughts/prayers would certainly be appreciated!!

Tracy, DH & I retired together and most days he does his stuff and I do mine, unless we hike, bike or paddle. I thought one of us would have to kill the other at first, but it has all worked out. When they're laid off, however, it's another story. Don't strangle him' it'll get better when he does get his tail back to work.