What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Had a dog transport tht turned out to be really long. Did 197 miles round trip. DH has been complaining about his back and decided he needed to go to urgent care. Rescue Gp had been trying to put this run together for nearly two weeks and it was already underway so I couldnt take him. Thank goodness DD was able to take him.

Had a dog transport tht turned out to be really long. Did 197 miles round trip. DH has been complaining about his back and decided he needed to go to urgent care. Rescue Gp had been trying to put this run together for nearly two weeks and it was already underway so I couldnt take him. Thank goodness DD was able to take him.

Yikes! How is he?

• 3 weeks later...
Tracy, DH & I retired together and most days he does his stuff and I do mine, unless we hike, bike or paddle. I thought one of us would have to kill the other at first, but it has all worked out. When they're laid off, however, it's another story. Don't strangle him' it'll get better when he does get his tail back to work.
Well, it's been 3 weeks, and I haven't strangled him! He started back to work today, at the same place, and actually got a promotion out of the deal! Yay! :) I've been off the forum for almost a week now, longest ever! We went on vacation last Wednesday, had a nice time. I started reading a book while I was gone, and that book has taken up all my free time since we've been back! Working on getting caught up here now. And hopefully I'll have the book finished in a few more days.

Tracy, what are you reading? I'm always looking for new fodder for my Kindle. Love the freebies at amazon.com. If they're not to my taste, I have no qualms about deleting them.

Kathie, I'm reading Atlas Shrugged. Last time I read it I took off work, and had it read in 3 days! It is taking me a bit longer this time, and I am staying up way too late at night. It is available on Kindle, I think $9.99, but since I already had the book from a few years back, I couldn't see buying it again. It's a movie now, but I just can't make myself watch it, I love her writing so much.

We had a horrible lightening and thunder storm last night and about two inches of rain in a very short time. Our satilite dish went out and I suspect it got hit with one of the lightening strikes up the hill. The city just north of us had heavy hail and some as large as a baseball. Now it is raining heavily again but there is blue sky off to the north west. The guys working on the rock walls could not do any work. Doubtful for tomorrow.

After a scan last week DH was diagnosed with a herniated disk. He went to a pain management doctor this morning and just got back. He wound up with the same problem a oouple years ago and finally had surgery. While the dr was not terribly healpful DH has been referred to another dr and I am pretty sure he will wind up with surgery again. I am afraid I had gotten pretty fed up with him and his refusal to see the docter earlier and his own frustration over the pain. I know it isn't easy to deal with constant pain but what is it with the human male that they are incapable of admitting any perceived weakness? Any way the the humidity and heat haven helped. I hope the doctor can do something positive for him, it will certainly make life easier all the way around.

I have been puttsing around the house and doing some little chores which have been on the back burner and hope to get to a quarter scale kit later this afternoon.

@ Tracy: I loved that book, too.

@ Beverly: I know what you mean. I tell Lloyd, "I promised to stick by you in sickness and in health, but listening to moaning & whining was never part of the deal. You gonna call the doctor or do you want me to call 911?"

...I'm reading Atlas Shrugged...It's a movie now...
Actually it's a remake; I think the first movie had a different title, but Gary Cooper was in it.

...what is it with the human male that they are incapable of admitting any perceived weakness?...
Testosterone poisoning; I have a theory that as men age it pickles their brains. They can't bring themselves to admit when they get lost, much less ask for directions, either; and if you think getting lost in a car is fun, just wait until you're out hiking in the woods!
  • Like 1

Actually it's a remake; I think the first movie had a different title, but Gary Cooper was in it.

Testosterone poisoning; I have a theory that as men age it pickles their brains. They can't bring themselves to admit when they get lost, much less ask for directions, either; and if you think getting lost in a car is fun, just wait until you're out hiking in the woods!

LOL, yeah I can hear myself saying to the guys "get the compass out, and I'll go the South it decides thanks".

• 2 weeks later...

We were volunteered to lead paddles when our Tally paddling club hosts this year's All-Florida Paddlers' Renezvous in October, and today was the only day we didn't have anything else already planned, so we hit the road at 0-dark-thirty for breakfast and a 3+ hour drive east to Marianna, FL, to meet the group that called/ emailed they were planning to come. Only two no-shows (they sign up for everything and never show for any of them...). From the head of Spring Creek at the dam on US 90 to the take out on the Chipola River below I-10 is only a 4.5 mile paddle, barely two hours mostly floating with the current, but it is, IMO, one of the prettiesst venues available. Normally we stop just befrore the confluence with the Chipola to eat snacks and sit on the rocks in the water and cool off; but a wee little local rain shower was pouring its little heart out just there and nowhere else! so we went on to the take out and then everyone went back to the put in to the little Mexican restaurant next door and had late lunch. Then we headed home, and when the sun's glare got too much for DH I took over driving; it's the first time I ever drove his F-250 truck, and man! is that bugger HUGE! But we are home and now I know I will be able to help drive when we go see the older sons later this month.

Looks like I'll be spending most of the day with my mother at the hospital. DH called me at work yesterday and said he was calling 911 to take her in. Apparently she's in the early stages of congestive heart failure, but we had to wait so long to get an app't with a cardiologist we lust couldn't wait any longer. She's been on oxygen at the house (lives with us) but after I left for work she decided to take a shower. She unhooked the oxygen for that - and the rest of the afternoon just couldn't get her breath back.

NOW the doctor has time to see her! It's a rather stressful and expensive way to get an appointment!

Oh my CJ! I hope everything turns out ok. How scary.

Last weekend I took my son to his friend's house in NY. I was flying standby, and I didn't make it out Sunday night or Monday morning. Finally made it Monday afternoon, after missing the busiest day of work.

Today my parents were sweet and went to get him so I wouldn't have to pay again (they fly free). They just got there, and have him now, but now it doesn't look like they are making it out this afternoon, and maybe not tonight either. Oh no! I feel so bad, Mama has to go to work tomorrow, and they don't have a place to stay (they won't want to stay with his friends, they don't know them). Now I'm going to worry all day. I should have just gone myself, or let them do it yesterday like they first wanted. Luckily school doesn't start until Tuesday, so at least he's ok there.

Please cross your fingers for us!

Both pairs of fingers crossed for your mom, CJ, and I'm not surprised about the appointment. We busted our derrieres to get back home from a trip to make my cardio appointment for my pacemaker checkup to find a pink card in the mail informing me they had moved my August appointment to October. When I called to change it again (the new appointment date conflicted with the All-Florida Paddlers' Rendezvous that year) I asked them why my doctor had practically had a fit over how imperitive it was for me to have device checks eevery six months, but they could throw my schedule off two or three months like it was nothing, and the clerk cheerily verified my new appointment date and hung up....

Ugh, they didn't make it out tonight, and probably not tomorrow either. Which means he'll miss the first day of school!! Ack!

And my poor parents... :(

And while that wasn't enough to worry about, my best friend and her family are stuck in the airport in Washington DC, and her (80 yo) mom is stuck in Little Rock alone. Bad day to fly! At least my friend's son doesn't start school until Wednesday.

Yep Kathie. There was some bad weather and a lot of flights were delayed and/or cancelled. Makes it harder. Good news is that my friend and her family and her mom have all made it on and are now on their way home. Long day for them all.

My crew is in a small airport, with only 3 flights a day out, so that's hard.

Family finally made it back home this morning. Bumped 4 times,then went to 2 other airports before making it home. They slept in the airport last night, then I took Brennen straight to school after I picked him up. Poor guy. But he made his first day of school, just missed two classes, so not too bad!