What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

No miniing for the past week. The shingles thing is a pain in the rear and I do not go anywhere I might pose a problem for pregnant ladies or folks with compromised immune system. Itching is driving me nuts and I am going through Calamine lotion by the gallon.

My Suburu wound up needed lots of repairs and for a 2000 model was not effective any more. DH has been searching for a newer model and found one locally that has even more bells and whistles then I was looking for and at a great price through a local used Suburu dealer. We had a second mechanic look it over and he found only a couple of small things needing repairs. The Suburu dealer is taking care of it all and it was several $$$$$ below bluebook. DH is very pleased with himself and impressed with the dealer. He is small potatoes from the other local dealers but has made himself quite a reputation for professionalism and customer service. Certainly does not live up to the usual rep for car sales men. Now I have to learn to drive it all over again!

Old car will make a real nice car for a young family and the mpg was really still pretty good. There was some minor body rust and needs some new brakes along with a tune up but the dealer has his own in-house repair and mechanic so the cost of the repairs with him able to do the work in house and still make a reasonable profit. We have taken pretty good care of it over the years and it showed. We are pleased and the dealer is please. He said he definitely will keep it and not send it to the auctions. Still feel like I am send faithful old Nellie to the glue factory. Even though it was pretty low milage we did drive a lot of dog transports and many mini shows.

Went to see the new diabetes consultant today. When I was originally diagnosed I had symptoms of type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Over time as I'm on insulin and produce no insulin myself, they have classed me as type 1. But the consultant today said he was quite sure I was type 2. I reeeaaallllllyyyy want to try a pump (normal in America and elsewhere, but very uncommon in the UK) but would only (maybe perhaps if I'm lucky) get one on the NHS (National Health Service) if I am type 1. Type 2 they wouldn't even consider it. So him thinking I'm type 2 isn't good for me getting a pump! But he's done a bunch of blood tests to try and establish either way (though none of them are 100% sure I don't think!)

On the plus side, they've now got a fancy glucose meter which can do extra calculations and takes previous insulin injections into account, so based on sugar levels, carbs, previous insulin etc, it works out what insulin dose you should take now. I was put down on the list to get one of those, so fingers crossed that happens soonish. The diabetes nurse said that many who try out the glucose meter do so well that they don't even need to bother trying the pump. So hopefully if I'm type 2 I'll get the meter, and if type 1 the pump :p Fingers very crossed! I also got a new book to help me carb count. Normally have to buy it, but the diabetes nurse happened to have a spare one :)

Muriel I hope they figure out which one you are. Diabetes is no joke. My FIL and G-MIL both have diabetes. G-MIL is no where close to being under control and her doctors don't seem to be really looking for a solution, just keep going back to the same things already tried and failed. So hopefully your doctors will persue it till they are certain which one you are. Good luck!

Muriel, if it's Type 2 do work out an exercise regimen. I was always taught that if your body didn't make inlusin it was Type 1, and if your body makes any insulin but can't use it it's Type 2; has that changed?

First thing this AM DH decided we ought to go ahead and get the labs work done for the new doc, and afterwards we hit Waffle House for breakfast. I blame the phlebotomist that drew our blood' she drew his first and than started talking about going out for eggs and biscuits and gravy; by the time we left I was ravenous!

I cleaned house. That's it. I cleaned house. I cleaned house for 3 days - washed the windows, that sort of thing. i still have to wash the cabinets in the kitchen and clean the stove, but I can't take it anymore.

I did, however, come up with a good idea on how to make a lattice type window for the Victorian wash house.

Have to go with my son so he can get blood drawn to see how he's doing on the Synthroid today. The supermarket is across the street from the hospital and I need a few things. he will moan and groan of course.

I cleaned house. That's it. I cleaned house. I cleaned house for 3 days - washed the windows, that sort of thing. i still have to wash the cabinets in the kitchen and clean the stove, but I can't take it anymore.

I did, however, come up with a good idea on how to make a lattice type window for the Victorian wash house.

Have to go with my son so he can get blood drawn to see how he's doing on the Synthroid today. The supermarket is across the street from the hospital and I need a few things. he will moan and groan of course.

That's impressive -- I wish I could give the apartment 3 days solely to cleaning! :p

Gee, after all this time as part of the forum, can't believe I never poked my head in here to check out the chit chat!! ?? :doh:

-Daphne; thanks for the link to your wedding photos! Looks like you had a beautiful wedding! (I love weddings. :yes: And we are currently in the planning process for Daughter #2's April 2012 wedding)

-Wolfie; sorry to hear you will be leaving you current home. Hopefully you will be able to find a lovely new home soon. Hubby and I have been on the lookout for a single-floor home for over a year now. We aren't in a terrible hurry-especially now that we are paying for a wedding. Maybe once that is over we will start seriously looking again. I am REALLY tired of all our stairs-plus I REALLY need a larger space for my minis!

Hubby and I are taking a weekend trip to the mountains just north of us to go "leaf-peeking". It's our annual fall getaway...hoping to find a few yard sales and maybe a mini shop.

Oh, ho, I spent three WEEKS cleaning this new house from the aftermath of the previoujs residents! Of course, the old house will probably take three months...

I dunno, Holly ... there was so much stuff in the old house that once it's out, you may find the walls and floors pristine! :giggle:

It is still that type 1 is the body producing no insulin, and type 2 is body not producing enough insulin, or the body not reacting to insulin correctly.

I'm sure last time I had the c-peptide test done I was producing no insulin (there is a direct correlation between insulin production and presence of c-peptide). What makes him doubt it I guess, is that I was/am overweight and very insulin resistant too. Also when first diagnosed I was treated successfully with tablets rather than needing insulin straight away (only needed this after a couple years). But from reading, the insulin producing cells can be destroyed over time, not immediately, so maybe the tablets were helping my body work with what insulin was left (though suspect usually it wouldn't be such a slow process reducing insulin producing cells). The original c-peptide test was done around 2-3 years after originally diagnosed when I was on insulin. Have had diabetes for 11 years, and also had plenty of lectures about it during my pharmacy degree so know quite a bit about it and how to look after diabetics, just have to hope others (health care professionals) agree! They are somewhat restricted by the NHS, ie they can't just give everyone that wants a pump one, so I acknowledge they have to follow procedures and guidelines, but it is rather frustrating that I have to go through the whole rigmarole every time we move and they can't just take the previous consultants findings/decisions. Oh well, I'm used to it by now, and haven't given up hope!

Hehe Kathie, made me laugh! We've got so much stuff too, but lots of 'stuff that needs cleaning' can hide underneath/behind stuff!

Muriel, My Mother has Diabetes and as a result of not taking care of herself she has lost alot of her vision. Please take care of yourself.

If you have any questions about diabetes, I will do my best to answer them for you.

kellee

• 2 weeks later...

Well, today is Nov 1st, the day after Halloween, and the day the Halloween stuff goes 50% at most places. I went into work late today so I could be at Target at opening, and had a blast. Goodness knows I don't need any decorations or anything, but I went grocery shopping and stocked up! We don't care if the box has a spider or pumpkin on it... I got paper towels, napkins, chips, popcorn, granola bars, fruit snacks, raisins, mac and cheese, goldfish, oreos, sugar cookie mix, toothpaste, kleenex, cups with lids, and heavy duty paper plates. Yay me! Now we have lunch box treats for quite a while, so excited!

Well, I guess all my kids are officially done with Halloween. :( Lawson had 2 WAVE performances (his sign language team) Saturday at a Fall Festival, then another last night. So those were fun, always love watching him. My little one (12) wouldn't humor me and trunk or treat even for a second (there were only about 10 cars anyway), and opted to go help in the concession stand instead. Which is nice and good. But then I had to go buy my own candy!

WAVE performances are about to start again in full swing so that's exciting, but will keep us busy! They do several for the Christmas season.

Ok I screwed up. The instructions confused the heck out of me. Last night after the kids were asleep I wanted to get one more section glued before going to bed. That'll teach me. I read what to do over and over, tried looking at the picture on the box but still didn't click. Sooo I did what I thought it was supposed to be like, checked it this morning before work and the white part was securely glued in place. Then on my drive to work it hit me! I needed to have the front corner post on TOP of the side post to leave an 1/8in gap to slide the white piece into :doh: As you can see in the picture because I didn't do that the top railing piece is too short and the left section has a wider blank space then the right...anyone know how to remove wood glue without destroying everything? Or should I just suck it up and adjust the heck out of everything else? Because of this the top pieces won't fit correctly either...oh and I did the same to the other side too. Thought I was being sooo smart getting both done together. :doh: I used Elmer's Wood Glue. I think I'd rather take the two pieces off and try again but I really would hate to break any of it.

gallery_4501_5429_651786.jpg

I seem to have lost my spark for anything creative. I have not done any miniature work in months.

So here I am, back on the Greenleaf site being refueled. I think I forgot how inspiring the work is here.

Today is a stay at home in PJs day. Been out and about the last few days; and Saturday will be going to the outskirts of London to meet college friends for a long weekend; and it is horrible, grey and wet outside. Pre baby I'd have had a nice long hot bath... Will just have to have baby cuddles instead! (and then hope for a nice long Natasha nap)

We went and visited Natasha's nursery yesterday where she'll go half a day a week in January. Was very sweet visiting with the babies. It is on the grounds of the College where Chris works, so is very convenient :)

Bought a load of tomatoes that had been reduced, so will need to make something with them today probably. Thinking tomoato soup. Can't be bothered to peel them, but will definitely prefer soup without skin bits in!

Will try uploading some more recent Natasha pictures now. She's 6.5 months old!

One of our favorite hiking places is on Perdido Bay so we decided yesterday, in honor of the gorgeous weather and cool temps (and near-drought!) we'd hike the longer loop trail. The map showed the trail to be 7.2 miles, but when we got back less than 3 hours later we figured 1) someone had included a spur trail and 2) the map is terminally lousy. In spite of all that and what I think is a bone spur on my left foot it was a gorgeous hike ablase with Fall colors and wildflowers.

Sounds like a beautiful hike, Holly! Hubby and I went on our annual Fall excursion two weekends ago.

This week has been spent fighting with my Alexandria wiring....as you may have noticed from all of my posts. dry.gif I am determined to learn how to do this! I have some chandeliers and sconces that I am going to attempt to install as well. But after the frustration of working with just the eyelet connections on the tapewire, I don't know if I wanna try fighting with installing lights yet! Might just wimp out and let someone else do that part!

In my RL, Daughter #2 and I will be having a wedding consultation with another florist tonite...then we need to decide which one we want. Also got all of the Save-the-Date cards and stamps for her and her FI to work on this weekend.

Plans are coming along nicely- we should be able to "coast" thru the holidays. :thumb:

Well I took a knife to my porch. Was so happy to not have broken anything. I reattached those pieces the right way this time, however the railing trim is still to short so I'll just recut those pieces no problem. Then I moved on to the top scalloped trim, glued them on, taped it securely, went to bed. Woke up the next morning to find I had put them on the wrong sides, left was right and right was left. :doh: When will I learn!? Soooo back again with the knife. Seperated and reattached the right way now. Then backed away slowly before I mixed up anything else. LOL Even with these mess ups this house is still tops my list as the easiest and fastest house I've built to date....how sad is that?

Not doing much of anything except dealing with the after effects of the Shingles attack I had last month. Early on things were going well and the rash was clearing up quite rapidly, Now there is a burning and scattered pain occurring and the pain meds are not very effective. Got three projects sitting there and not much enthusiaisum for any of them. Was going to try and at least do some photos but right now just too much to do to set it up. My usual preps for Halloween were zero and luckily (or sadly) no trick or treaters showed up because of the storm. Dogs are getting antsy cause I have not walked them and daughter gets home too late to play with them. Got to get them in to the vets the next couple of weeks this month for annual shots and annual check up. Sigh!!!!!! Yard is a muddy mess and the fall leaf cleanup won't be done until most of the leaves are down. Since we live on the edge of a wooded area there are already lots wit still lots more to come. Sorry to sound so down but just seems so unproductive. This is just not me.