What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Kathie, those are adorable!

My across-the-street neighbor had some pieces of mini furniture that had broken/ come apart that I got to mend for her. This being without my minis is nerve wracking.

On another note, this weekend was the grand opening for the Native American cultural center in Pensacola, sponsored by the Perdido Bay tribe of Muskogee Creek Indians. It's going to be outstanding when all the buildings get finished, they have an impressive museum started.

Holly, the Native American Cultural Center sounds like a good day trip when we get to New Orleans. Thanks for the heads up.

We're busy sorting out items for storage or to carry with us to NOLA. Today I'm packing up mini tools and items and putting dust covers over the houses that will be wintering here as well as doing the last of the outdoor prep, like draining the hoses and putting them away; nagging Lloyd to pull up his 3 dozen or so solar lights from the garden, clean them up, and store them in the basement; and other things one does when preparing to leave for several months.

The Marshall Cultural Council is planning a Mardi Gras party, and since we're no longer in Marshall for Mardi Gras, we're donating our geegaws to the group. When we pulled everything out of storage, we ended up with a small pickup load of beads, hats, masks, umbrellas, wall hangings, kazoos, CDs, and I'm not sure what else. Someone from the group is supposed to pick it up this afternoon, Will be nice to have it out of the way and know that it is being enjoyed.

This weekend was the Blue Angels' homecoming show, and we went yesterday. Because it was Veterans' Day they pulled out all the stops! Today I started deep cleaning the Little House on the Highway for its double purpose as a guest house for overflow company.

We're back in New Orleans! It was fun to walk in and see the Beacon Hill in dry fit, waving its bits of blue tape in welcome. Wondered what the place would look like after 6 months away but found it in good shape. Very little dust, which surprised me. And no six-legged squatters in the kitchen, even though I'd forgotten some crackers in the cupboard. The only problem found was water seepage near the back door that has caused a small bloom of mold along the baseboard and in the edge of the carpet and pretty much ruined a small set of shelves madeof composition board. Our fault, really. Left the bottom of the screened door window open an inch or so instead of closing it tightly; the building was power washed a few days ago. Either that or a window along that wall leaked, which is quite possible. Replacing the windows in this unit it on our list of things to do this winter.

We had our first bit of lake effect snow last night and the dogs have been out playing in it. At least no mud just yet to track in. DH due to go in for some tests as he has had a bunch of health problems the Doc has not been able to due anything about. DD is back at work and is not fond of job but at least it is a job and she says st least she can feel like a productive member of society. Must start thinking about Christmas gifts.

We had our first bit of lake effect snow last night and the dogs have been out playing in it. At least no mud just yet to track in. DH due to go in for some tests as he has had a bunch of health problems the Doc has not been able to due anything about. DD is back at work and is not fond of job but at least it is a job and she says st least she can feel like a productive member of society. Must start thinking about Christmas gifts.

I had a two week bout with what felt like a big bone spur on my left foot that had me hobbling badly on my cane at the doctor's a week ago when we went in for lab results, so yesterday we stopped at the ri\adiology walk-in to get pictures to see if the doctor wants to refer me on, and then we hit the grocery store to start stocking up for the holiday; still don't know if the eldest & his family are coming... but we're meeting the youngest's bus this evening and hauling him out to supper on the way home, and the other one & his wife arrive Sunday evening, so I'm finishing up laundry and giving the diningroom a last touchup after lunch. I think the thing I miss most about not having my minis here to work on is all the housework I'm finding time to do! Boo, hiss...

My sister in Kentucky was sent to Leesburg, FL unexpectedly earlier this week, so she drove up to Gainesville to visit family and see the new nephew.

I hope to get some time to work on the house. I haven't done anything with it since the baby was born last Saturday. If I can get some time, I'll try to get the 2nd floor deck installed and wired.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been here in New Orleans a little more than a week, and the Beacon Hill is sitting on the worktable wondering when I'll get to her. I did manage to choose colors, eight of them, for the exterior. They are included in Olympic Paint's Audubon Collection called Brilliance. It is a combo of four warm colors -- a pale yellow, and three shades of coral ranging from a deep blush to terra cotta -- and three cool colors -- two blues and a green -- and a neutral tan. How and where they are to be used is under consideration. I'm leaning toward a warm color for the siding but Lloyd is lobbying for green or blue.

In the meantime, I did manage to give the condo a welcome-back cleaning; designed our Christmas card and got the materials to print it; made a skirt for the worktable; downloaded the pattern for the mannequin pincushions and stitched one by hand to give as a gift; finished War and Peace (hey, I'd never read it and it was a free download on Kindle :D ); ordered some Christmas presents on line; and am planning to put up the Christmas tree today. Will also print the cards today and try to talk Lloyd into addressing the envelopes. I have some shopping to do that needs to be done asap, as the gifts must be mailed. After that, I can turn to the Beacon Hill. Since I've decided not to try to make it front opening, the construction should go fairly quickly (she says optimistically).

All along it has wanted to be the elegant New Orleans pre-Victorian home of Sophia and her medical doctor husband. Sophia is the lovely lady calling on Marie Laveau at her cottage. The question isn't the colors but which one will be the primary one.

My week will be filled with finishing up wallpapering and installing mouldings in the Alexandria. Most of the staining has been done, although I need to order some more moulding to finish a room or two, I do believe. Can't believe how much moulding this house is taking! Sheesh!

Besides minis, I might start to drag out the Christmas decorations this week. Normally we don't get our tree until around the 12th, but I may be in the mood to put up some of the other items before then. We'll see what Max the cat thinks of his first Christmas!

Since the weather has been so warm and pleasant here in Maine, I got almost all my Christmas shopping done. I hate to shop anymore, but this year it was quite nice. I went out 2 days in a row. Now I'm just waiting for some online purchases to arrive and then I can pack everything up and send them on their way to PA.

I even put the Christmas lights on our shrubs today, but I'm not turning them on yet.

Today we had a PJ day. It was cold and windy outside, I didn't have to run any errands, and we'd had an interrupted night, so decided it would be quite acceptable to spend it in jammies! Natasha was well behaved, slept for two two hour naps and ate her food well. I made some slow cooker warming rice pudding and we were happy! Now I'm watching Dumbo - LOVE it!

I think I'm going to have to tackle half a room a day to finish unpacking (mainly hobby and 'paperwork' stuff) and tidy the house. Just little things that are still around and haven't been put away properly. Also got to find a space for the christmas tree. We've got our Nativity area set up with a stable that is also an advent calendar. There's a box under the stable with a door for each day, which gives us a new figure each day. Growing up Mary always made her way slowly across the table only reaching the stable on Christmas Eve, so that's what we're doing now too.

Missing doing minis a bit, but hoping to have the garage converted early January, so will hold out until then and just play with minis instead.

*Poor Mrs Jumbo and Dumbo not being able to spend time together! Miss Natasha after an hour or two! :p :wub:

We had a trace of snow last night after a really rainy day yesterday. Had the rugs cleaned last week and got our family room sofa and chair back from the upholster yesterday. Looks lovely, slate blue micro suede easy clean now that DH allows the dogs on them. Ordered pet blankets to go over them. DH shaking his head. Why did we go to the trouble to get them recovered? I would like them to look good next spring! Cleaned out the refrigerator and still have to do the freezer down stairs so we can find things.

Sorting through Christmas stuff and will get the tree up this weekend.

Ordered a 1:12 loom kit from SDK. It will go in the Tudor Water Mill upper room.

I spent yesterday meeting my new pacemaker technician and my new cardiologist, and now I realize that I am, indeed, growing old; all my doctors look younger than my own children! (and are...).

Today we are deciding how we want to hike. They reset the upper limit on my pacemaker so I should be able to go for longer, but it's SO COLD outside! Think we'll hike on the paved bike trail in Foley and then show up tonight in Milton for a local Florida Trail chapter dinner hike (hike around Milton, go eat dinner and then go back and hike some more). It's with our friend who leads the Panhandle Trace Hike every Spring.

• 4 weeks later...

We had a great Christmas as a little family! It wasn't just our little family, but that was great too. Christmas Eve to Christmas day we had my sister, niece and Mummy here too, then 26th we went to Chris' family overnight. Natasha was spoiled with lots of presents, and with each present she got better at opening them. Today she got another few presents from her Godfather and she was just about a pro at ripping the wrapping off! I've added some pictures to the Natasha album :wub:

No dollhouse minis this Christmas, but haven't done any work on dollhouse minis in over a year, so that is probably ok! On the plus side, we got confirmation that our garage will be converted to a proper internal hobby room starting mid January, so will be able to finally unpack my mini stuff and do some work!! Whoohooo!

I got a 500 cupcakes recipe book from my PILs, and they're coming to visit tomorrow afternoon, so will have to get baking in the morning I think! Hopefully they won't be expecting some each time I see them :p

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting ready to do something with the Beacon Hill! I went to the hardware store for paint for some plant stands I'm making for the front porch and while there got some gel stain for the BH floors. I was going to get a stain pen, but it was $7.97, the same price as a can of the gel stain. I've not used the gel, but with difference in price, I'm willing to give it a try! I got the Aged Oak color ... haven't used it before but thought it would be appropriate for an aging house in the Garden District.