What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Just added a few pictures to my gallery 'my minis'.

Liza, I noticed in your gallery that you mention you need to turn under the edges of the library rug. I think it was Casey who pointed out that doing that makes a bulk out of scale. You might try running a bead of white glue on the underside of the edge of the rug and trimming the canvas off even with the threads. Then take a colored marker near the color of the threads on the edge and color the white canvas bits to hide them.

Liza, just a suggestion from someone who has done weavings before. Weavers take a straight piece of wood, metal, plastic, or whatever and weave it into the threads just as you are doing with the needle and yarn. After each row is done, slide that piece of wood down firmly onto the last row and push it down as tightly as you can. This makes your rows straight and close together. Here is a simple tutorial that explains it better and has pictures. Good luck, you have the start of a beautiful rug!

http://www.hallnet.com/Weave.html

Liza, I noticed in your gallery that you mention you need to turn under the edges of the library rug. I think it was Casey who pointed out that doing that makes a bulk out of scale. You might try running a bead of white glue on the underside of the edge of the rug and trimming the canvas off even with the threads. Then take a colored marker near the color of the threads on the edge and color the white canvas bits to hide them.

Yes. I saw that in Casey's blog a little while ago and thought it was a much better idea for finishing the edges. Still waiting for its dh to be finished to finish the rug!

Liza, just a suggestion from someone who has done weavings before. Weavers take a straight piece of wood, metal, plastic, or whatever and weave it into the threads just as you are doing with the needle and yarn. After each row is done, slide that piece of wood down firmly onto the last row and push it down as tightly as you can. This makes your rows straight and close together. Here is a simple tutorial that explains it better and has pictures. Good luck, you have the start of a beautiful rug!

http://www.hallnet.com/Weave.html

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I was wondering how I was going to get the threads closer together the way I wanted them.

You're very welcome!

As far as finishing off needlepoint rugs, I fold about 4 rows of empty canvas under when I get ready to do the edge, and take my stitches through both layers of one row. That prevents raveling, and then I press it lightly when done to 'flatten' it. I hate to see anyone do all that work and then trim it off so closely. It would be awful to have it all unravel!

I'm still catching up on all the Forum and put this section off 'til last to start (I'm still reading the General Forum to catch up, too) because it'll take the rest of the week! But I wanted to share our trip, it was really a doozy!

We left two weeks ago and stopped at Joe Gannon Rocky Bayou State Park at Niceville, FL, for two nights. The campground is on the bayou and Weds AM we paddled from the canoe launch up Rocky Creek for a few miles. The current wore me out after a couople of hours, the recent rains still have most of the creeks & rivers in spate, although Rocky Creek wasn't as dangerously high or gast as the Blackwater River last month! on the Panhandle Trace Hike/ Wade. DH went on upstream for another hour and got beyond the bridge and onto Eglin AFB (we buy season passes every year so we can paddle or hike on Eglin; their only requirements are that we stay out of the restricted areas (where they practice aerial bombing) and that we watch out for unexploded ordinance. We spotted the ancient remains of a trainer plane that had gone down by the creek. On the way back to the bayou I got lost twice in some confusing side channels; watching the current flow helped me find my way back. By the time I'd gone back, put my boat on the truck, walked back to the RV, showered, had a short nap & a snack and walked back to the launch site with the binoculars I spotted DH paddling back out onto the bayou. He said he also got lost where I did and met a surveyor's assistant; so those must have been the voices I wasn't going to tell him I'd heard whilst finding my way back to the main channel!lol

Thursday we moved to Big Lagoon State Park in SW Escambia County, just outside Pensacola. Friday we hiked some of the trails and checked out the kayak launch, planning to paddle after Saturday (the weather had other plans for us). DH's 50th HS Reunion (the porpose of the trip) was fun for him, he got to meet people who were his friends 50 years ago and compare notes. (I still don't want to attend mine, but the friends I still have from long before HS are starting to urge me to go & I'm thinking about it.) Friday's "social" was held at the naval Air Museum, the main reason we ever go to P'cola. Saturday we went into downtown and checked out the historical museum, which was hosting a lady's personal dh collection on their second floor. Apparently she'd never heard of Greenleaf! For the display every window, doorway & open side had 1/4" plexi firmly bolted in place and children were studiously ignoring the dhs.

Saturday's banquet was at the NAS P'cola Officers' Club and DH ran into the few people who hadn't come Friday. These were mostly people who, IMO, had grown OLD.

Sunday the weather was too nasty to paddle so we went over to the Gulf Shores National Seashore section on Perdido Key and hiked a couple of miles. I managed to lose one of my sandals, so we came home for lunch after none of the beach restaurants would allow us in in my little bare feet.

Monday it poured rain. Our campsite and a few other places were surrounded with bushes of dewberries/ blackberries (I'm easily confused which is which) and there were some ripe ones beginning to show so between the drops I went berry=picking. We went into town and hit a couple of thrift stores (a couple of books and a wood Melissa & Doug dh) and the doll shop (she saves me any miniatures she gets in and I got some cute stuff, including a cherval mirror for Mildred).

Tuesday after breakfasting on blackberry scones we headed over to Baldwin County, AL (Gulf Shores & Foley) and had lunch at Lambert's Cafe (home of the throwed rolls, which are well worth catching, and with their sorghum are divine!). Wednesday we hiked the rest of the trails in the park, getting back as the sky was once more turning black and as I picked another batch of berries the heavens opened.

We left last Thursday AM for Falling Water State Park, where we have camped before, and DH ran errands. Friday we went off exploring and wound up just N of Vernon, FL, at a roadside park with boatlaunch and a canoe livery who offered to take DH back to the truck if we wanted to do a 5-mile (actually 6+) paddle along Holmes Creek. DOH! So we paddled from Cotton Landing (on Water Management District land) past Cypress SPring (clear, blue & BEAUTIFUL) with a couple of side trips (didn't get lost but once) down to Vernon. By the time DH got back with the truck & we had loaded up it was LATE arternoon and we'd had no lunch (the price of impromptu paddling trips). so we made a side trip to Chipley, the town nearest the state park, and hit our favorite BBQ house, then made a supply run to Wally World. We were sitting in the RV trying to decide which of us smelled the worst and therefore got dibs on the first shower when we heard a knock on the door that turned out to be our friend from Pace, FL, the lady who's the "trail angel" for the Panhandle Trace Hike; she and her new BF and one of the new firends we made on the hike and her BF were staying there to do a Saturday AM hike. They invited us to join them.

So Saturday we hiked and then spent the rest of the day satisfying DH that there are no stores open in downtown Chipley Ithe Good Will is out, on the way to Wally World).

We came home Sunday, after meeting the couople camped next to us on the other side from our hiking friends. It turned out that HE was a former HS classmate of my stepsister and we knew a lot of the same people! He still lives in West Palm Beach. So I now have obtained some info to try to contact her (I haven't seen her in over 50 years and after her father died my DM never heard from her, so I was unable to let her know when she died). It'll be interesting to see if I can make contact after all these years...

I have no fling to do today. Yeah me!

I finished it yesterday and sent the pics off to Dean and Co. Now I can work on de-cluttering the dining room mess. Then I want to really start on the Pom. I have to empty it out (there is alot of stuff stored in there), put all the things away in mini/craft storage, and then start working on the exterior color. I think I have changed my mind about the green. I think I want it to be purple. But not a shocking *OMG what was she thinking?* purple. She is going to be a painted lady. I am going to need some guidance later on when I buy the trim pieces. Like I do not know how to measure for the apex that it needs, etc.

I am still on the hunt for a suitable table for her. I have the measurements in my pocketbook notebook and I have a pen that has a measuring tape included. Now that I have the Jeep, I have no reason not to be able to find something while yard saling this year. I know I could go and buy a new table. I like hunting for stuff. The right table will reveal itself one of these days.

I need to shop for some plastic totes for all these books in here! We do not have the room to store them on shelves properly and I want them out of my sight. I can store them in totes and stack them in Chelsea`s closet. Then she can deal with them. I actually want to get rid of this white bookshelf all together. It annoys me. It has become a catch-all for all of Chelsea`s garbage. If they were *MY* books, I would take most of them to the used book store and trade them in for credit to buy more books. But they are not mine so I cannot do that. She loves her books and I will not force her to part with them. She will just have to live with them in her bedroom..LOL

I get paid tomorrow and have plenty of things I have to do. Fix a part on my car, emissions my car, send in registration. Order the mold for the man doll for Gina to make my Mother`s day pressie. Order Fred`s father`s day present (a replacement i-Pod for the one he killed). Pay bills. Grocery shopping. And take Nat to get her Do done.

Ugh. All of a sudden I do not feel very well. Stomach pain, diarreah, nausea, head ache, feel cold and my head feels funny. I joked to myself that I must be allergic to de cluttering. Now it is not funny.

If I puke I will be really angry. I hate puking.

Going to go lay down. Anyone else not feeling so good right now?

Hope you feel better real soon! As for me, well I am starting to get the head back in gear again, need to get off here and finish up a few things for the school's new website that is supposed to launch coming Monday... :( it is a big thing as it means that alllll schools and municipal (?) sites will be under the same "umbrella" so to speak with a common look etc etc, so we will have to re-do ours completley...

We can still use the pics if we want and some of the text but it is still a huuuuge work :)

Hugs

Made supper last night (tortelloni and tomato sauce), sat down to eat it and suddenly felt very ill. Had some orange juice while I was cooking, so was wondering if maybe it was a bit off (but did taste fine). Was getting worse instead of better and also wondered if maybe my sugar was low cause supper was late. Got Chris to find my sugar meter and turned out sugars were rather low! Somewhat strange seeing as I'd had the orange juice which will normally keep it up fine. Waited a while (just enough time for supper to get cold), drinking my juice, until I eventually didn't feel nauseous looking at it.

Hope you both feel all better really soon!

Today was a better day at work, less nasty customers. Tomorrow i have study day at home, thursday study day in Swindon, friday back into work.

Watching the new Knight Rider now, sooo excited!!!

Sounds a fun trip Holly - though can't believe you have been gone two weeks already! The time has flown.

On our trip I finished off the poinsettia rug and when I get the roll developed I'll put the fuzzy, out-of=focus pictures of it in the White Orchid album. The fabric I used made it come out smallish, so it's perfect for the WO's upstairs sitting room. I'm begun another one on coarser linen that will end up a bit larger, and I'm changing some of the colors to use it in Mildred.

I've been scraping paint alternately with stitching. I think I'll take out the lamb chops and rub some crushed garlic on them so when DH gets home I can pan broil them and fix linguini with veggies with them.

Nothing done yesterday other than deep thinking about a stove for my gnome house. I'm just too tired. It's already in the 90's here and the wind blowing. Sure takes it out of me. Until DS and DH decide to build the tray for the house, I'm just painting furniture.

Went to the Celtic Woman concert last night. It was excellant. They had alot of new songs that were not as celtic sounding as their past stuff. Some of the songs i liked, some I wasn't as crazy about. I prefer their more celtic sounding sounds really. The 2 new members Alex and Lynn were wonderful additions to see. It would have been cool to see Orla and meav tho before they left the group. Chloe's voice has really matured and she was excellant! Lisa is my favorite and she sang "the voice" and really did a tremendous job! I could go on and on. Mairead (spelling) is incredible, where she gets her energy....

Anyway, got to bed by 1 am. dang cats woke me up at 6. i couldn't go back to sleep and now i'm an exhausted zombie. i have my tub of coffee nearby but i'm sure i'll need a nap today. lots on the agenda to accomplish today, including getting gas for the lawn mower. time to mow the lawn again. i don't mind really it's nice to get outside and do it. i may change my mind after it starts getting hot out this summer, but for now, the exercise and the smell of fresh cut grass is pleasant.

going to a barbeque at my brothers house tonight. i really need to stop at the grocery store as well. (i had initially planned to relax today and do nothing, now my whole day is planned out).

One of our hiking friends (on the right in the picture) is a staff member of the Florida Trail Association and she sent us a CD of everybody's pictures of the hike. Here we are, the first four to set out on the 9-day, 100+ mile long hike:

gallery_8_1986_21063.jpg

We actually start at the southernmost end of the Alabama Trail just before it crosses the State Line into Florida & joins up with the Florida Scenic Trail.

What a great pic Holly - sure looks like you two have a good time, and stayin' healthy while ya do it :) WTG!

I started my 1/2 scale lighthouse today...it sure is a fun little kit. :) I guarantee I won't finish it in the time Deb did her 1:12 <6 days,holy moly!>, but it seems it will go pretty quick <for me anyways> - building is definitely NOT my forte. :) The laser cut is fabulous though, and makes it go so much easier. I have the base and the main part of building assembled and drying..then I will tackle the top parts. Haven't quite figured out what paint scheme I want yet, but have been researching some of the lighthouses in Door County <sadly, none look like this kit, but I will improvise>

Still thinkin' I will need to order another for meself... :p ..it is just too cute!!

Cleaning Cleaning Cleaning. That is what I am going to do today.

I also have a *date* with Natalie. I bought the DVD Benjamin Button and we are going to watch it tonite after I pick up Chelsea from work. Three hours of Brad Pitt. WoOHOo!

That is about it. It is chilly today so I am just going to putter around the house.

Cleaning Cleaning Cleaning. That is what I am going to do today.

I also have a *date* with Natalie. I bought the DVD Benjamin Button and we are going to watch it tonite after I pick up Chelsea from work. Three hours of Brad Pitt. WoOHOo!

That is about it. It is chilly today so I am just going to putter around the house.

From the sounds of it, you must be feeling better. Glad to hear it!

I put up a couple of the hike pictures in my "Play Time" album. I also added the pictures that KathieB took of my minis when she was here, they're in the appropriate albums.

Well I had another training day in Swindon, and didn't have to pick the other girl up in Bristol like I normally do, so left at the same time, with the much shorter route, and stopped in Hobbycraft on the way! Theoretically to get Chris some paints and a magazine, but of course I had to look at the dollhouse section too. It is normally pretty expensive, but there were some bargains :rofl: There was a soldering iron, reduced to £4.15, but when i got to the check out it was further reduced to £2.50 or so! Bargain!! Thought i might as well get the copper tape so I could do some electrifying soon (they didn't have solder though, so I'll pick some of that up sometime. Also haven't actually finished building, so not quite ready for electrifying yet!) They had some reduced furniture (I picked up a little cream sofa), but most of the furniture was things I didn't need, or not reduced enough. Also got a staircase so I can finish the upstairs one in the Franklin. Happy with my purchases, i zoomed down the road to my meeting, only two minutes late :lol: Now we're doing 'save the date' cards - figuring out the wording.